IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

It worked for me.

Options
Hi. Our Aldi store is not far from the town centre. I have been in the habit of parking in the town, two hours free, then calling in at Aldi before going home. A few weeks ago I thought I would do the Aldi shop first while it was on my mind. There is a two hour free park there as well, monitored by Parking Eye. Shopping loaded into the car, I thought I would just nip to the market. Got talking to someone, and couldn't remember what time I had pulled into Aldi. I thought it might have been on the borderline so I kept my receipt.

Sure enough a letter arrived, I was 12 minutes over. The usual, £70, or pay £40 within a certain time. The following morning I went to Aldi and found the manager in the first aisle checking his stock. I showed him the letter, and also the receipt for the £33 which I had spent. I didn't rant, kept my cool, and said how worried I was because I couldn't afford it. He took the letter from me and said he would get it cancelled. He said I would get more letters because it takes time to go through the system, but to ignore them. Eventually they would stop.

That's exactly what happened. So, the manager was a good guy, values his customers, and did the right thing. Always go to the shop manager first if you have a legitimate reason for parking there. Always keep receipts to back up your claim. And if that fails then follow the advice given here. I was lucky, but I shall be watching the time from now on.
Ilona
I love skip diving.
:D

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good on you. It is so easy to lose your temper in situations like this but it just shows that when you are honest and treat people like human beings they can and often do go above and beyond to help.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Well done. My only caveat to this would be ... let him take a copy of the PCN, not the original. :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Well done. My only caveat to this would be ... let him take a copy of the PCN, not the original. :)

Yes, good point. I did wonder what would happen if he didn't stick to his word and I didn't have the letter to fight back with. Two more letters arrived and I didn't open them. I didn't want to feel threatened by them. Still got those.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Options
    BJV wrote: »
    Good on you. It is so easy to lose your temper in situations like this but it just shows that when you are honest and treat people like human beings they can and often do go above and beyond to help.

Yes, my first thought was to go in there and cause a scene, but I chose the honest route, and admitted my mistake. It does say on the signs that the car park is for customers when they are in the store. I admitted going to the market and not noticing the time. He could have said tough luck, but he didn't. He was ok about it.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well Done :j

however as above , this is not over until you have conformation......

You can always ask next time you call in for the original or a copy back........

Please open the other letters ........... its only paper and hieroglyphics ;) just .... just ...... in case its something important ..... it might even be the pcn cancellation :D

Ralph:cool:
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The only time you can know for sure that your charge has been cancelled is when you get written confirmation from PE. PE religiously send these out once they have cancelled it.

You can now only hope that one of those two letters you haven't opened (please don't tell me that you've binned them) is that written confirmation. Open them now!

I'm afraid verbal confirmation from the manager is not worth the paper it's written on. :cool:

Sorry to rain a bit on your parade, but PE have been known to continue pursuit of a PCN despite the store telling the motorist that it was to be cancelled. How do you know your Aldi store manager actually contacted PE?

Any further letters from PE you must open.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Ilona
    Options
    Letters have been opened, thanks for your concerns. The third letter states....
    Dear Sir/Madam. We refer to the parking charge incurred on 12 May at 13.47 at Aldi. We can confirm that this charge has been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due on this account. Parking Eye Team.

The manager kept his word.
    :j
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • mon37
    mon37 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, Ilona! Do you now shop at Aldi? You used to do YS before? You changed your shopping habits?
    Merry Christmas!
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mon37 wrote: »
    Well done, Ilona! Do you now shop at Aldi? You used to do YS before? You changed your shopping habits?
    Merry Christmas!

happy thread Resurrection!
    (check the date)
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aldi have to be the most improved supermarket in the uk, the prices and products have got much better, and taking a reasonable friendly common sense approach to stuff like this too. Well done Ilona.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure