Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grant_uk
    • By grant_uk 5th May 15, 8:04 AM
    • 122Posts
    • 130Thanks
    grant_uk
    ParkingEye have disappeared from Kingswood in Hull
    • 5th May 15, 8:04 AM
    ParkingEye have disappeared from Kingswood in Hull 5th May 15 at 8:04 AM
    The Kingswood retail park is on the outskirts of Hull - it was when my wife fell foul of the parking 'restrictions' there a few of years back that I became interested in the world of private parking companies - particularly PE.

We stopped off there over the weekend and there wasn't a ParkingEye sign to be found.

I'd like to think that they are getting such negative publicity that their customer base is increasingly no longer wanting to be associated with them, so contracts aren't being renewed.

Certainly, a constant stream of complaints to the various retailers wouldn't have helped. The Asda section of Kingswood is still covered by a PPC - didn't see which one, but they binned PE a good while ago. The remainder of the parking is now no longer covered by anyone, it seems.

Given that this isn't the only 'ParkingEye have cleared off from xxx' thread, is this a trend that's gathering steam?
Page 1
    • bazster
    • By bazster 5th May 15, 8:15 AM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    • 5th May 15, 8:15 AM
    • 5th May 15, 8:15 AM
    Let's hope so. The whole dismal "industry" is governed by two factors guaranteeing its ultimate demise: (i) once "problem" parkers have been deterred the parasites must prey on genuine customers, to the detriment of the retail businesses concerned and (ii) they are dishing out the confetti in such huge volumes that soon there will only be two kinds of motorists in the UK: those who always look out for and read signs and hence never get "caught" and (ii) those who've been caught once and will not be caught again, either by avoiding the infected car parks or being more careful.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • ColliesCarer
    • 5th May 15, 9:55 AM
    • 5th May 15, 9:55 AM
    Great stuff!!

Third contract reported lost by PE in about as many days!
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 5th May 15, 10:00 AM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 5th May 15, 10:00 AM
    • 5th May 15, 10:00 AM
    Its a case of the industry eating itself with greed.
    People that own car parks have woken up to the fact that the shysters they let in to manage it are raking in millions from the tickets.

So now they want a slice of the cake and take bids from interested parties who want to Scam the customers of your shop manage the car park.
    The upside is the industry will eat itself as they all try to outbid each other or end up with no car parks.
    Poetic justice I say, greed eats greed.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th May 15, 10:47 AM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 4,558 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th May 15, 10:47 AM
    • 5th May 15, 10:47 AM
    Fistral Beach, Ormskirk, and now Hull, all within a few days of each other.

Has anyone in PE asked why?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 5th May 15, 10:50 AM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 5th May 15, 10:50 AM
    • 5th May 15, 10:50 AM
    Probably more to do with expiring contracts, firms now poach car parks by offering the most money so lucrative it is.
    Parking Eye have huge overheads to maintain and small lighter firms can easily outbid them for site contracts as with feet on the ground they can put out tickets for breaking silly rules that parking eye can not with ANPR.
    • enfield freddy
    • By enfield freddy 5th May 15, 10:53 AM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    enfield freddy
    • 5th May 15, 10:53 AM
    • 5th May 15, 10:53 AM
    as posted on the Ormskirk thread

"this is the second loss to them (probably more we don't know about) in the last few weeks.

Parking Eye , after the COA case are now seen as a liability , the publicity for them is not going well.

Owners of car parks are now worried that they will be liable to pay refunds to drivers if the Supreme court goes against them.****

there are also situations in Scotland where car park owners are simply killing the power to ANPR setups managed by CEL , until there court case is finalised.

page 35 of todays "independent" regarding PE

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/chip-shop-owner-raises-6000-in-24-hours-to-take-parking-fine-appeal-to-supreme-court-10221661.html?origin=internalSearch

*** a quote from the independent , that must worry car park owners

"If victorious, Mr Beavis might set a precedent allowing millions of drivers to claim refunds from parking companies. Before one hearing Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, a transport research charity, said: “Tens of millions of pounds hang on this case.”
    • Ivor Pecheque
    • By Ivor Pecheque 5th May 15, 5:37 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Ivor Pecheque
    • 5th May 15, 5:37 PM
    • 5th May 15, 5:37 PM
    Has anyone in PE asked why?
    Not sure, landowner (Fistral) was asked, "sick of complaints."
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 5th May 15, 8:14 PM
    • 11,416 Posts
    • 17,151 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 5th May 15, 8:14 PM
    • 5th May 15, 8:14 PM
    Not sure, landowner (Fistral) was asked, "sick of complaints."
    Originally posted by Ivor Pecheque
    And they will no doubt have the same experience with Smart.

I wonder whether there is any link where PE are ditching their more controversial sites, and their ex-employee moving in with his new Smart outfit? Tipped off, or pure coincidence?

Early days, but worth bearing in mind as car parks 'change hands'.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Fight the good fight
    • By Fight the good fight 5th May 15, 8:32 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Fight the good fight
    Noticed that PE are no longer at Trafford General Hospital the birth place of the NHS unfortunately they have been replaced by new shiny signs from CEL
    I Am Charlie
    • Ivor Pecheque
    • By Ivor Pecheque 5th May 15, 9:36 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Ivor Pecheque
    yes, there's a long way to go.
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    • grant_uk
    • By grant_uk 6th May 15, 8:31 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    grant_uk
    Probably more to do with expiring contracts, firms now poach car parks by offering the most money so lucrative it is.
    Parking Eye have huge overheads to maintain and small lighter firms can easily outbid them for site contracts as with feet on the ground they can put out tickets for breaking silly rules that parking eye can not with ANPR.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Yes, very possibly, although their negative press of late certainly won't have helped make them an attractive option for contract renewal. No new signs have gone up yet, but I'm there fairly often so it'll be interesting who, if anyone, takes their place.
    • DCodd
    • By DCodd 6th May 15, 8:41 AM
    • 7,397 Posts
    • 9,887 Thanks
    DCodd
    Probably more to do with expiring contracts,.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Some maybe, but not this one.
    http://www.norwichadvertiser24.co.uk/news/parking_eye_s_contract_at_whitlingham_country_park _is_to_end_early_1_3999921

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/
    Last edited by DCodd; 06-05-2015 at 8:45 AM.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 6th May 15, 9:02 AM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Landowners are there to make money, what Parking eye have done by pursuing Beavis is opened a can of worms that can never be put back.
    They have show landowners that they are prepared to pay 1000+ a week to operate.
    Now if you own a car park, your money making antenna must have just pick up on that nugget.
    The sites were often given out free in return for "management", now the land owners want their share of the cake .
    Parking Eye are not going to win the bidding wars are they as they carry huge overheads and people are at last starting to avoid businesses that use them.
    Even the most stupid after two or three wallet dips from Parking Eye will stay away.
    A terminal point is on the horizon, one where they are locked to short term contracts that they have to bid for with smaller, lighter operators and the increasing need to make a profit from sites means they are going to run out of road.
    Interesting times, get popcorn !
    Last edited by Marktheshark; 06-05-2015 at 9:22 AM.
  • husheechee
    They also been kicked out of Whitlingham country park,the parks trustees were "fed up" with the constant barrage of complaints about P.E and their dirty tactics AND the trust has terminated the "contrct" with P.E TWO years early apparently by "mutual" agreement...hurrah for them...hope it had nothing to do with someone who kept putting stickers directing people to MSE and PEPIPOO..tch tch.
    There was also someone who kept "supergluing" the slots on the P&D machines...tch tch...
    and not forgetting the person or persons who kept backing into P.Es ANPR system knocking it out of kilter...tch tch...mind you I can just imagine those knuckle draggers viewing the cows on the other side of the field....
    IT WASNT ME!!!!! sounds a lot of hate for PE....bye bye PE.....Norfolk peeps are tough ole sods !!!!!!s
    Last edited by husheechee; 07-05-2015 at 6:12 PM. Reason: word missing from textw
  • Captain Leaky
    My guess is that if the outcome of the next COA finds in Beavis's favour, it could open the floodgates to huge numbers of claims for refunds. If this happens, I suspect that the claims presented against the PPCs would be referred back to the landowners who engaged them. If this happened, the landowners could face some very expensive claims indeed. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 7th May 15, 5:49 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    GingerBob
    My guess is that if the outcome of the next COA finds in Beavis's favour, it could open the floodgates to huge numbers of claims for refunds. If this happens, I suspect that the claims presented against the PPCs would be referred back to the landowners who engaged them. If this happened, the landowners could face some very expensive claims indeed. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
    Originally posted by Captain Leaky
    What' the thinking on this? He lost at the Appeal Court and is taking it to the Supreme Court, but I've not kept up with developments since. Is there a general feeling of optimism?
    Last edited by GingerBob; 07-05-2015 at 5:50 PM. Reason: sp.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,297Posts Today

7,260Users online

Martin's Twitter