jury service

Options
Sorry if wrong section I didnt know where to post... hubby has got jury service starting next week, work has ticked a box on the loss of earnings form saying that he cant return back to work before the 2 weeks if the jury service finishes before the 2 weeks. My question is say if my oh was only needed th first week will he still be able to claim loss of earnings for the second week even tho he isnt doing the service anymore ?Just with him not being able to return straight back to work he would lose the seconds week wage. Sorry if it doesnt make sense hope it does though thanks

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I don't really know the answer to your question, but thought I would post just to say

1. Your question makes total sense.

2. Although I don't know the legal position, I have done jury service twice myself, so can speak from experience on this. If he does a week's trial in week 1, there won't be any presumption that he can't do anything in week 2. There will be plenty of trials only planned to last a day or so, so it would be very unlikely, in my limited experience, that he would be sent home for the whole of w2 - the British justice system just doesn't work like that!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • staciiee
    staciiee Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    So he could be used for more than one trial during that two weeks?
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    yes he could well be, as the other poster said some are 1 day hearings so he will have to attend/call in etc during the 2 weeks.

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • staciiee
    staciiee Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Ok thanks :)
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    staciiee wrote: »
    So he could be used for more than one trial during that two weeks?

Or none. I was called for jury service at the Old Bailey last year. I have always wanted to do it and was so excited. Two full weeks I was there and not once did I get called to serve. Absolutely gutted.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As I understand it (and this may be out of date) if he is not required for part of the time he should, if at all possible, return to work for the rest of the day or days. If there are valid reasons why that is not possible then expenses can be claimed.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the person worked in an enviroment where only a set number of people were needed to do the work and they would have no work, tools or space for him should he return part-way through a shift, then that should be a good-enough reason to claim for full expenses.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My son did jury service several months ago, and in the two weeks was only called for two cases. The second was cancelled and my son allowed to finish early.

From memory, he did not need to attend court on the Friday and had the day off, returning to work the following Monday.

Good luck
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    When I did jury service if you weren't needed on the day then that was your service over. You certainly didn't have to keep going back to see if you were needed at a future date!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I did jury service if you weren't needed on the day then that was your service over. You certainly didn't have to keep going back to see if you were needed at a future date!

I did Jury service twice at York and if you weren't chosen one day then you still had to go back on a daily basis because there were either 4 or six courts all going at once and starting and stopping at different time.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport