PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying a second hand sofa, or bed.

Options
I'm looking to furnish a new flat, and I'm going to buy a new sofa, but was wondering if there's any risk in doing so. Second hand sofas from places like Heart Foundation stores seem a lot cheaper, some of which only have a little wear. But could they harbour fleas and so forth? Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Comments

• vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 April 2015 at 6:00AM
    Options
    I have always had second hand sofas and have never had fleas.The exception being a high chair loaned to my Mother from the OT department after she had her hip replaced.She was bitten to bits,I bought some spray from the vet which sorted it out.EEEEEEEEEEEEEBAY is worth a look for bargains.
     :
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am sure somewhere like the Heart Foundation shops would check stuff over before putting it on sale, certainly our local shop has decent stuff in. If you buy a bed second hand, always get a brand new mattress - remember all the dead skin cells and the pints of bodily fluids that get on mattresses over time (lovely image there, but you know what I mean).
    One life - your life - live it!
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would (and previously have) bought a second hand sofa but wouldn't risk a second hand mattress - apart from the yuck factor mentioned above, is the fact that you spend something like a third of your life in bed, and someone else's old mattress probably won't be too comfortable.

If you are concerned about fleas or other visitors, try to spray it before you bring it into your house if you have a garden in which you can do so, otherwise spray it as soon as it gets in to minimise the risk. Follow up with a good hoovering.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with the others. Second hand bed but new mattress. Second-hand suite.

Bought our four-piece suite from fleabay about 6 years ago for I think about £275. Was a couple of grand when new. It has been absolutely solid and perfect for us. After hearing all of the stories of cheaply-made expensive furniture from big stores, we shall be again turning to fleabay when we move to buy 'new' furniture. Who can argue with a solid dining table and chairs for £50? Can't wait!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've had seondhand sofas before, in fact I've never had a new one. First was bought 2nd hand and sold a few years later for what I paid for it when a friend offered me her sofa. That eventually wore out and was freegled and now I have a new-2nd hand leather sofa from the charity shop, in as-new conditon, for one-tenth of the new price.

Never had any problems. Wouldn't fancy a secondhand mattress unless I was so skint it was that or sleep on the floorboards, as have had an nasty experience with an infested mattress in grotty furnished accomodation many years ago - ick.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd have to say I'd feel just a little bit uncomfortable about secondhand beds or sofas, just because of the risk of bedbugs. I'd possibly buy a wooden or metal bed frame just because that could be taken apart and scrubbed (and in fact I have bought second-hand wooden furniture), but I'd be a bit uncomfortable with anything fabric (like a sofa or a divan base) just in case it was harboring something unpleasant. And I'd never buy a secondhand mattress. I know I sound a bit paranoid but I know someone who got bedbugs (not from secondhand furniture, but they moved into a rental what was infested) and getting rid of them was a total nightmare. Apparently second-hand furniture is one of the ways they're spreading and it's a bit too much of a risk for me.
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    We always buy second hand,we purchased a four seater,two seater and armchair from a charity shop they said it had been in a ladies best room and hadn't really been sat on.It was £200,I googled the make and found the same one in Sterling funiture for £4,700.Three years on and it still looks new.

We buy second hand metal bed frames but I would not buy a second hand mattress.
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had a second hand mattress which turned out to be fine. It was from a good friend who I know well, and it was from their spare bedroom and hardly used. Their partner was moving in and bringing some furniture with them.
    I wouldn't have one without knowing the provenance of it though.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    I purchased a parker knoll 3 piece from a local hospice shop for 200 pounds in as new condition. Luckily we go past the charity shops daily and can see what arrives.

I am with the others in that I would always buy a new mattress.

You could always ask the charity shops to look out for items you want. when we donated a new conservatory table and chairs they told me they had a waiting list of people for it.

I have never had any problems with any 2nd hand sofas. Maybe you would be better looking in your local papers as then you could visit the sellers property and see if they have a clean home.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy second hand furniture and once bought a second hand bed specifically because I needed a new mattress and the one of the bed looked brand new. Spoke to the manager and the bed had come via a house clearance, had been bought a few years previously and kept in a spare room and hardly used. It was in really good condition and perfectly clean.
    I've never bought any furniture second hand that was infested with anything - the most I've had to do is get loose covers off and wash them (I always wash even when it says dry clean only - never had a problem yet)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure