PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What do you do with unwanted gift cards?

Options
ol1v33r
ol1v33r Posts: 38 Forumite
edited 24 March 2015 at 7:00PM in Old style MoneySaving
What do you do with unwanted gift cards?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nothing as I dont agree with them, should I accidentally be offered one, I will offer it to OH,who will pass it on to someone at work, if OH does not want it, it goes in the bin. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Nothing as I dont agree with them, should I accidentally be offered one, I will offer it to OH,who will pass it on to someone at work, if OH does not want it, it goes in the bin. ;)

Why dont you agree with them, Marleyboy?

I think they are a terrible nuisance. (i know this is horribly ungrateful:o but i appreciate the kind thought) It seems that it always costs me money to spend them, because it is unlikely that you find something you want at the exact value, and it is often for shops where i don't want or need anything.
  • ol1v33r
    ol1v33r Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    marleyboy please give them to me when OH doesn't want them.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Why not use them to buy another & regift them?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could always sell them on ebay
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I save to use for something I'd like I wouldn't dream of binning something someone had made the effort and paid for
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I also don't understand throwing them away.

I would do as JackieO and use them to buy a treat for yourself, or someone, or to buy a birthday present, or other gift that you would normally have to buy anyway.

Just before Christmas we had to make an expensive purchase. There was an offer on at the time and we ended up with £160 worth of M & S vouchers as part of the purchase deal.

As we didn't need anything practical such as towels etc we spent it in the food department and stocked up the freezer with meat and fish. We also bought some booze, some of which we gave away (not as Christmas presents), but as a 'we had some vouchers and thought you might like this' gift. We made an elderly uncle very happy with a large bottle of whisky.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of unwanted gift cards! Lol. I can always find something to buy even if it is for soneone else or is something practical. I guess I can understand the frustration if someone gave you a £10 card for a shop where everything costs hundreds, but I don't know anyone daft enough to do that.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Another one puzzled by the bin concept. If you really can't find anything in a High St store that you like, or could use as a gift, then buy something a charity shop could easily sell and donate it.

I do think it's wasteful that they're now plastic credit cards rather than paper vouchers, as I don't think they can be recycled.

That reminds me I have £18 to spend in John Lewis leftover from a generous Crimbo voucher....
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can often top up the plastic gift cards- OH gets 5% or 10% off a few places through work benefits scheme so we use those for B&Q etc (and we spend a lot of time there just now while finishing off renovations)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport