Cheapest Trackers on Different Platforms

Options
jimjames
jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 March 2015 at 2:53PM in Savings & investments
Thanks to the heads up on the iWeb charges I'm moving my ISA to them. I've got a lot of tracker funds and before I move I want to make sureI have the cheapest trackers for each region. I'm currently using HSBC as they were cheapest on pre-RDR pricing but that's no longer the case.

To complicate things further different platforms seem to have different classes of the same fund which have different management charges so it's not just a case of transferring a fund as-is. I've only listed funds for trackers as they are the ones that seem to vary the most and to avoid the complexity of thousands of funds! All shown are ACC versions.

If anyone else has other numbers I'll try to update this so it gives a comprehensive listing. These are the ones I have found so far and will add more as I get them. There was similar list some time ago on Monevator but that's now out of date with the platform and fund changes.

Platform: Fidelity

UK - FTSE All Share tracker
Fidelity Class P - 0.07%

UK - FTSE 100 tracker
L&G Class I - 0.1%
HSBC - Class C - 0.1%

UK - FTSE 250
HSBC - Class C - 0.17%

Europe ex UK
US tracker
Pacific ex Japan tracker
Japan tracker

Platform: Cofunds

Vanguard 0.08%
Fidelity Class W - 0.09%

UK - FTSE 100 tracker
L&G Class I - 0.1%
HSBC - Class C - 0.1%

UK - FTSE 250
HSBC - Class C - 0.17%

Europe ex UK
US tracker
Pacific ex Japan tracker
Japan tracker

Platform: iWeb

Vanguard 0.08%
Fidelity Class W - 0.09%

UK - FTSE 100 tracker
L&G Class I - 0.1%
HSBC - Class C - 0.1%

UK - FTSE 250
HSBC - Class C - 0.17%

Europe ex UK
Vanguard Dev Europe ex UK - 0.12%

US tracker
Vanguard USA Index A - 0.1%

Pacific ex Japan tracker
Fidelity Class W - 0.15%
L&G Pacific - 0.19%

Japan tracker
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.

Comments

• jimjames
    Options
    Quick note that the above is still work in progress. It's fairly slow to check all platforms as they don't easily allow navigation back to check multiple funds.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Useful, one suggestion, as the list grows, list the platforms alphabetically and have a headline section for the cheapest individual trackers across platforms?

I don't mind pulling details from Charles Stanley for you to edit but a quick glance shows the list will be huge and I expect that will be the case most places. Do you have any criteria for excluding trackers?
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • bigsy
    bigsy Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Are you keeping ETFs out of this list?

There are cheaper alternatives to some of the tracker funds listed above, e.g. ISF or CUKX (0.07%) for the FTSE 100 and VMID (0.1%) for the FTSE 250, and the dealing fees on IWeb will be the same as funds.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Thanks to the heads up on the iWeb charges I'm moving my ISA to them. I've got a lot of tracker funds and before I move I want to make sureI have the cheapest trackers for each region. I'm currently using HSBC as they were cheapest on pre-RDR pricing but that's no longer the case.
    Just to be clear, do you already hold clean HSBC funds? Or do you still hold 'dirty' ones (some brokers have dragged heels on RDR conversions) that you plan to move to iWeb? It wasn't obvious from your post.

If the latter, you should find that iWeb will convert them to class C for you, free of charge. That may save you some time and trading costs.
  • jimjames
    Options
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    Just to be clear, do you already hold clean HSBC funds? Or do you still hold 'dirty' ones (some brokers have dragged heels on RDR conversions) that you plan to move to iWeb? It wasn't obvious from your post.

If the latter, you should find that iWeb will convert them to class C for you, free of charge. That may save you some time and trading costs.

No, at the moment I'm holding the dirty classes as it was cheaper to keep them on Cofunds than convert to clean plus the 0.29% fee. The only one I will convert in the transfer is HSBC250 as there isn't another option for that.

I was intending doing the trade to the cheapest ones on Confunds so I don't need to trade on iWeb which will keep the costs down.
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Useful, one suggestion, as the list grows, list the platforms alphabetically and have a headline section for the cheapest individual trackers across platforms?

I don't mind pulling details from Charles Stanley for you to edit but a quick glance shows the list will be huge and I expect that will be the case most places. Do you have any criteria for excluding trackers?

Good idea on the layout, I'll try to incorporate that into it. I wonder if something like Snowman's spreadsheet might be an better option to make it easier to filter and view.

If you could do Charles Stanley that would be great as it's not one that I've used.
  • jimjames
    Options

Thanks for those links. Unfortunately they only show the fund supermarkets themselves not the funds that they offer which was what I was trying to solve with this thread.

Different fund supermarkets offer different classes of the same fund at different price levels so the platform cost isn't the whole picture.
  • jimjames
    Options
    bigsy wrote: »
    Are you keeping ETFs out of this list?

There are cheaper alternatives to some of the tracker funds listed above, e.g. ISF or CUKX (0.07%) for the FTSE 100 and VMID (0.1%) for the FTSE 250, and the dealing fees on IWeb will be the same as funds.

I did think about including ETFs but I thought that would complicate things even more especially as not all platforms offer them so it would make it a more difficult comparison.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 March 2015 at 10:56PM
    Options
    If you could do Charles Stanley that would be great as it's not one that I've used.

The site was down for maintainence but I've just pulled the data for funds, excluding shares. Take a deep breath...

they carry 200 index tracking funds when counting the Acc and Inc versions separately, which doesn't exist as an option for all. For the most part they are the various Blackrock, Fidelity, HSBC, L&G and Vanguard offerings.

I won't list them here, link below

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzqo2V2HLgzzS0pFWVE0V2xhb0E/edit
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've only listed funds for trackers as they are the ones that seem to vary the most and to avoid the complexity of thousands of funds! All shown are ACC versions.[/SIZE][/FONT]

If anyone else has other numbers I'll try to update this so it gives a comprehensive listing. These are the ones I have found so far and will add more as I get them. There was similar list some time ago on Monevator but that's now out of date with the platform and fund changes.

Platform: Fidelity

Fidelity Class P - 0.07%

UK - FTSE 100 tracker
    L&G Class I - 0.1%
    HSBC - Class C - 0.1%

UK - FTSE 250
    HSBC - Class C - 0.17%

Europe ex UK
    US tracker
    Pacific ex Japan tracker
    Japan tracker

Platform: Cofunds

Vanguard 0.08%
    Fidelity Class W - 0.09%

UK - FTSE 100 tracker
    L&G Class I - 0.1%
    HSBC - Class C - 0.1%

UK - FTSE 250
    HSBC - Class C - 0.17%

Europe ex UK
    US tracker
    Pacific ex Japan tracker
    Japan tracker

I can only see the HSBC FTSE 100 Index Fund Acc Class C quoted on Fidelity at 0.17% as opposed to 0.1%?

Am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport