We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP or IVA how did you choose

Options
Jon81
Jon81 Posts: 95 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 17 March 2015 at 6:04PM in Debt-free wannabe
I'm currently getting help with my finances from StepChange and I just wondered how other forum members came to the decision between an IVA or a DMP, I'm being recommended for an IVA but know that the final decision is mine.

Any pointers or considerations you had in a similar circumstances would be welcome if you are happy to share

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I chose DMP as it was a similar timeframe to an IVA, an IVA would have also included my partners finances in the calculations the DMP didnt

I was also able to leave my overdraft out of it as i didnt want the hassle of changing banks.
  • Jon81
    Options
    Thanks, my concern with a dmp is that the term is looking to be 20 years although I'd hope and expect it to be over sooner. Interesting what you say about partners income and Iva I thought that wouldn't come into it?
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Jon81 wrote: »
    Thanks, my concern with a dmp is that the term is looking to be 20 years although I'd hope and expect it to be over sooner. Interesting what you say about partners income and Iva I thought that wouldn't come into it?

Thats what i was told, that they would look at all the household income and expenditure and decide from that how much I would have to pay, which would have been a lot more than on the DMP.
  • Jon81
    Options
    Thats what i was told, that they would look at all the household income and expenditure and decide from that how much I would have to pay, which would have been a lot more than on the DMP.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I didn't realise that would be the case unfortunately
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't even consider an IVA, I believe that it is a much more formal arrangement than a dmp. My dmp is now 16 months in and is expected to run until 2022.. but I do hope to bring the date a little closer.

For more dmp info do try and read some of the dmp mutual support thread as there is loads of information available.

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    I didn't even consider an IVA, I believe that it is a much more formal arrangement than a dmp. My dmp is now 16 months in and is expected to run until 2022.. but I do hope to bring the date a little closer.

For more dmp info do try and read some of the dmp mutual support thread as there is loads of information available.

Puzz. x

it is but only lasts 5 years
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,133 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Depends how much you owe, and how much you can afford every month, 20 years on a DMP is just ludicrous, an IVA lasts a max of 6 years, normally it's 5, your partners income is inc, but you just manipulate your outgoings to take account of this.

You also have legal protection from any further action by your creditors, in a DMP you do not, they could, in theory, take you to court or bankrupt you at any time, should they wish to.

I started off on a DMP but with 54k of debt to shift, it was going to take forever, so went IVA instead, mine lasted 6 years as I was not, at the time, a property owner, so had to go an extra year.

To be honest, if I were going through that again now, I would take the easy option of Bankrupcy and have it over and done with in less than two years, but that's just me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • dancingfairy
    Options
    Generally IVA are suitable for those where dmps would last a long time (over 6 years) and where bankruptcy isn't a sensible option due to assets such as a car or house.
    I believe the debtcamel website compares a dmp to an IVA for the pros and cons.
    Do bear in mind that IVAs are legally binding whereas dmps are informal agreements between yourself and your creditors (sometimes with the help of a third party). It's not necessarily a bad thing though as it's binding on both sides. Do make sure you read up on it all though before taking the plunge (or not).
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • dancingfairy
    Options
    Generally I'm not a massive fan of IVAs as they have been missold to a lot of people as private companies make money out of them.
    One of the main issues I have with IVAs is that you have to pretty much commit to making the payments for 5 years and that if you don't you frankly are back where you started and would probably be facing bankrutpcy.
    If you went bankrupt the debts would be wiped immediately and you would only need to pay into the bankruptcy for a few years (I can't remember if it's 2 or 3).
    Is there a particular reason to favour an IVA over say bankruptcy? Do you have a lot of equity in your house?
    Based on the length of time for a dmp I'd say the most realistic options would be an IVA or bankruptcy.
    It also depends on your career of course and whether any form of insolvency would cause issues. If so then you might want to go for a dmp.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • melysion
    melysion Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    IVA isn't even remotely an option for me as I would lose my job. Many people have found difficulties getting work (and not just in the finance sector - I am in publishing) after a IVA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport