Is being poor a matter of perspective??

Options
Baldybear
Baldybear Posts: 1,657 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
edited 24 February 2015 at 3:49PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello,

After peoples thoughts if ok, after a comment on my DFW diary was wondering if being poor is a matter of perspective?

For example I feel poor at the moment, although I have a good lifestyle and am able to afford most things I still struggle with it all, sometimes more emotionally than financially if that makes sense.

I believe all people have different situations and what someone would class as poor another person would have a different view, so maybe its a matter of perspective for each different individual.

I hope this makes sense :)
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Million_Percent
    Options
    It's clearly subjective and relative. The problem is that many people will generally live to a level that is just beyond their means. People tend to be overly optimistic about how far their money will stretch. So even the quite affluent will tend to overspend and then feel the pinch. It's easy to feel 'poor' when your outgoings seem to be higher than your income or for whatever reason you can't afford the same things as other people in your social circle.

I guess in some ways it's a case of is the glass half empty or half full? Even the 'poorest' people in the UK would be considered rich in global terms. Yet I can also imagine the millionaires in Monaco feeling poor because their yacht isn't as big as the others or they don't have a private jet.

People's expectations and perceptions change with increased affluence. If you earn £15K a year you probably think someone who earns £50k is very well off, but when you earn £50k you won't consider yourself rich because there are people who are earning £100k or £200K or £1M. Unless you are Carlos Slim, Bill Gates or Warren Buffet there will always be someone richer than you.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi BaldyBear

Materially being poor is when you cant satisfy your physical and immediate comfort needs such as being warm, knowing where your next meal is coming from, & knowing where you will sleep tonight. So I think if you dont have the answer to those questions you are poor.
    How you choose to feel about it is a different matter. A book that made a huge impact on me & remains in my mind years later is Mans Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, written by a survivor of the concentration camps. In it he claims that the reason he survived and others died is purely mental. He found meaning in his every day life, despite immense opposition, & he walked out eventually, unlike many. I think it is the founding stone of many of the modern positive thought movements. So yes mental state has a huge part to play. I follow the minimalist movement myself, and one of their mantras is 'The best things in life arent things' I try my best to live without material stuff that clutters up my space & costs me money I can be using to buy peace of mind.
    Hope that is helpful
    Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • BenjaG
    BenjaG Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Franciscan monks are supposed to live materially poor, but mentally enriched. Maybe you want to learn from them...
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A direct quote from the YNAB forums.

"You know you are a YNABer when your net worth is £12K but you cannot afford a McDonalds".

Being poor is most definitely a matter of perspective. My accounts say I have £6000+ in equity dotted around, but in reality, all of that is accounted for. On the other hand, I know absolutely there there is almost nothing that is going to bit me an in the !!! in the next year and that makes me feel rich. It means that I have food on the table, a roof over my head and clothes on my back. For 90% of the world's population, one or all of those is a daily challenge to fulfill. Whenever I feel low and lose my perspective, it helps to reflect on that fact for a few minutes and I wonder what the hell I am moaning about.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Baldybear
    Baldybear Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and replies, it really does help :)

I am lucky that I am not poor in respect, I live an ok lifestyle and work hard to achieve it, I am emotionally rich in many ways, I dont do stuff, I am becoming less materialistic as the days go by.

I believe I use poor as at the moment am struggling a bit financially, I am still on a learning curve but its a tough struggle, but nice to see people do come out the other side :)
  • On_my_way
    Options
    It is definitely a personal thing - I know of a few people that claim they are poor, plead poverty at every opportunity they get, live in council flats etc and yet they would never dream of wearing second hand clothes, their kids have absolutely everything etc.

If they are buying a lot of these things on credit they will never pay it off and they are giving their children the wrong message entirely.

We all want a good standard of living but you reap what you sew.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,972 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    At my lowest point, back in 2005/6, i had absolutely no money in the world, for a period of about 8 days, had to live on what i had in the house, i certainly felt poor then !!!

Now i have no debt, i own my own house, my job now is not as well paid, or as many hours, as where i worked then, but on the plus side, once essential bills are paid, i have around £600-700 a month spare, how many people can actually say that ?

That makes me feel rich, even though, i`m not, by some peoples standard.

As you say, its all down to perspective.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    It's an interesting question.
    I see myself as quite well off - technically I earn under the national average but my OH earns a bit more, and we are very organised with our money so can afford a holiday every year, go out for meals, and are in the process of buying our first house. Compared to when I was growing up and we didn't have central heating, never had holidays and everything we owned were hand me downs I feel positively wealthy.
    But I've got friends from university who earn much more than me who would think that I am poor.

My boss is, in my eyes, incredibly wealthy - he owns a couple of houses and some land outright and a foreign holiday every couple of months, upgrades his car every year and has a fondness for fresh lobster!
    But he considers himself middle class and doesn't think he is particularly wealthy - I think he genuinely doesn't realise how much better off he is than most people.
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am a single mum to two children, work part time and get a stupidly small amount of CM.
    I own a house, own a car outright and have 'pots' of money so i can pay all of my outgoings.
    I'm also £5000 in debt am making small overpayments.
    Because of my debts and the overpayments i feel very poor, however to my friends amd family I appear very financially sound.
    I manage my money well but I dream of the day i can buy my kids whatever they want and take them on holiday.
    I would say Im poor but lots of people think I'm 'rich'. Thise same people don't have half the responsibilites i have but can't afford their rent and have been made bankrupt!
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    I'm in a DMP but have quite a lot of equity in my home, so I guess I'm asset rich but cash poor.

Even though I have debts at the moment I don't feel poor as I know that there are many people far worse off than me and I feel grateful for the things that I have.

I don't tend to measure riches as material things. The health of myself and my family is worth everything and my grandson's smile is priceless;)

Ellie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport