Under cabinet lighting solution needed

Options
I've put a brand new kitchen in and am well chuffed with it. Regretably though I didn't plan for any under cabinet lighting, and I really would like it now.

However, they need to be battery operated, but ideally connected still, ie I don't want to have to turn on say 6 individual lights. Also, they will have to be split 2 and 4 because of the gap for the cooker hood. Does anyone know of any products that match my needs? :undecided

Thanks in advance

Comments

• supermassive
    Options
    There was something on pinterest that I'm planning on doing to my (future) kitchen.

Rope lights tucked slightly out of sight will give you the desired effect (if not better) for very little money. Then all you have to do is plug them in together into an extention cable, into a remotely controlled switch adapter (they're about £15).

Probably more of a bodge job than you were looking for though haha
    I can't add up.
  • newtonflotman
    Options
    Screwfix have
    36130 Avi Cabinet Striplight White Pack of 4

Product Code: 98704 Price £39.99

led strip lights, can be connected singularly, or paired or in a line of 4. Clips can be stuck with sticky pads or screwed. Obviously needs a 240v plug. Have one control panel. Not sure if they do the multi-coloured option but IKea do the same and offer the multi-coloured option for £40.
    Daughter has them in her bedroom can recommend.
    Obviously for a 4 and 2 your looking at 2 sets so not cheap at £80
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maplin do some LED strips which are rather good; I have some which run off a wall-wart rather than battery.
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dream-Waterproof-White-Strips-Strip/dp/B00C6SHZSE/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1423598155&sr=1-1&keywords=led+strip

You will need a driver for it also. The hard part is finding a power outlet for both sides of the cooker.
  • firsttimebuyer2013
    Options
    I have plenty of plug sockets, but not sure I want the wires hanging down for the lighting. :o
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lidl have some in stock at the moment .
  • ben_m_g
    ben_m_g Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was something on pinterest that I'm planning on doing to my (future) kitchen.

Rope lights tucked slightly out of sight will give you the desired effect (if not better) for very little money. Then all you have to do is plug them in together into an extention cable, into a remotely controlled switch adapter (they're about £15).

Probably more of a bodge job than you were looking for though haha

I used these as part of a false wall for the living room tv, looks great for accent lighting and easy to fit and trim.
    Not sure how they will look in a kitchen
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If you look on ebay you can get LED strips that run off batteries - they are meant for model trains etc but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to connect them up such that you can switch them as you require - albeit you'd probably need separate ones either side of the cooker - which may not be so bad as you possibly don't always need both sides lit. I can't give you a link at present but if you search for "battery LED strip" you should find it.
    Adventure before Dementia!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport