janitor leaves library and hospital $6m

Options
Story in The Independent

Bones of it seem to be that this 92 year old had lived a modest life, over the course of which he had quietly amassed several million dollars through investing. No one knew.

Love it!

Comments

• Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a salient lesson in there. Many people go to extraordinary lengths to scrimp and save (just look at some of the examples in the Stingy thread), but also seem to fail to realise that life is for living and you don't get a second chance.
    So this guy went around dressed in old clothes and left a fortune. Why bother amassing all that money and not use it during your one shot on this planet?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Awe. Deep respect that he put his money where he thought it would do the most good for his community.
    That folks misread his frugal style for poverty is a bit of a nudge that we can judge a bit too quickly sometimes.
  • racing_blue
    Options
    This guy chose not to consume but at the end of his life to distribute his wealth altruistically, I think that is amazing. Possibly he gained more pleasure this way - who knows? It must have made sense to him I guess.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good on him for doing something good with the money. I just wish he could of enjoyed some of it himself. But hey guess he did. To save that much must of been a way of life and perhaps a lesson to us all that you don't need to splash out every 2 seconds.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Awe. Deep respect that he put his money where he thought it would do the most good for his community.
    That folks misread his frugal style for poverty is a bit of a nudge that we can judge a bit too quickly sometimes.

Although the people who so judged him appear to have gone out of their way to help him so I don't think they need to be told off for it.
  • puk999
    puk999 Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great story. Even if I was very rich I'd still try avoid paying to park if that meant a 5-minute walk.

I did have to laugh at the following though:
    "You'd never know the man was a millionaire," Mr Rowell said. "The last time he came here, he parked far away in a spot where there were no metres so he could save the coins."

I guess The Independent just blindly search and replace meters->metres in stories coming from the USA. Reuters managed to get it right.
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It says something about most of us when we find it strange that someone should spend money only on what he needs and leaves the rest to a hospital but are less surprised when someone spends thousands on a Rolex watch that doesn't tell the time any better than a Timex. Might be a saner world if there were more like the eccentric 92 year old.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,669 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good story.

Also highlights the benefits of investing!

Shame this type of outcome isn't highlighted more when people say investment is too risky.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    I can well understand him keeping it a secret.
    In his Biography, Duncan Bannatyne says how much women are attracted to rich men. Although very wealthy and staying at a 5 star hotel, he told others at the acting school he attended that he was kipping on a friends sofa. He says none of the women were interested in him then.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gadfium wrote: »
    There's a salient lesson in there. Many people go to extraordinary lengths to scrimp and save (just look at some of the examples in the Stingy thread), but also seem to fail to realise that life is for living and you don't get a second chance.
    So this guy went around dressed in old clothes and left a fortune. Why bother amassing all that money and not use it during your one shot on this planet?

Why does 'living life' have to equate to spending lots of money?
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure