Any experiences of PGL holidays?

Options
We are considering sending our son on a PGL "adventure holiday" over May half term, when he will be age 10. I am hoping that he will have a lot of fun, make some new friends, and get an opportunity to try out some new activities that he otherwise wouldn't be able to experience.

He is not "sporty" and is reluctant to stray too far from his video games and youtube, but usually ends up having fun when we do drag him out of the house and into the open air. He is also a little nervous about staying away from home with people that he won't know - he is a little awkward socially, and only has a small group of friends.

Does anybody have any experiences of sending their children on a holiday like this? Did they have a good time and did they enjoy the activities? Did they settle in OK with being away from home? Do you consider it to be good value for money? (The one I am looking at is £309 for a 4-night stay).

Comments

• ItchyFeet
    Options
    Do it! I went on a number of 'adventure' holidays when I was younger (in the mid eighties). I think a couple were PGL. I absolutely loved them. I wasn't sporty but enjoyed being active. I made new friends and didn't have the opportunity to feel lonely or miss home.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    I went on an equestrian one when I was younger. It was absolutely fantastic. My sister has done the adventure ones and really enjoyed them.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    My eldest went on a PGL holiday with his school last summer. They stayed at the Little Canada one on the Isle of Wight. He was 11 and not an overly sporty kid. He had the time of his life and loved all the different activities available. The accomodation was really comfortable and clean, and he said the food was wonderful. He keeps asking to go again.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are a great experience for children of all ages, the only thing I would say, is does he have a friend he could take along? In school holidays they're often booked out by Guides/Brownies/Cubs/Scouts and school, there can often be large groups who already know each other which he might find a bit overwhelming if he's one of the few by himself.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    They are a great experience for children of all ages, the only thing I would say, is does he have a friend he could take along? In school holidays they're often booked out by Guides/Brownies/Cubs/Scouts and school, there can often be large groups who already know each other which he might find a bit overwhelming if he's one of the few by himself.

No, he would be going on his own this year. If he likes it I would intend for him to go with his sister next year but she's too young at the moment (she's 6 and the youngest age is 7).
  • Calien
    Calien Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I went on a PGL holiday when I was in school, it was fantastic! I was in no way sporty (was a scrawny, short little thing) but got involved with everything and loved it, as for missing home...I think we were all having too much fun to think about home! We went for a week and all wanted to stay longer.
  • ItchyFeet
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about him not having a friend with him - he will make new ones in no time. The one's I went on were children either on their own or with a sibling. There weren't any big groups.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine have only done them through school but have really enjoyed them. So much so, that both have asked if they could go on the yr7 Secondary school trip that is a pgl one having experienced a similar holiday the year before at their Primary school. Neither of mine are the slightest bit sporty.
  • masterofnumbers
    Options
    I went on a PGL holiday when I was younger with my sister and 2 cousins and we had an amazing time I remember bugging my parents to send me again the following year. Made the school trip a few months later look really pants by comparison
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My lads have been with school in the last 2 years & *loved* it.
    I went solo over thirty years ago & hated most of it, but would probably have done better in a group of familiar people & I still learned a bunch of useful skills that really helped on later school trips.

Solo age 10? Depends on the young gentleman, but I think PGL've improved massively since Back Then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure