TalkTalk scam 'out of area' calls

Options
I've been receiving a lot of these calls claiming to be from TalkTalk. I'm well aware that they are a scam but they are now ringing every hour and I'm not sure what to do. When I did answer them on a couple of calls, it was someone with an Indian accent. One was called Susan, the other James. They tried to get me to use various keys on my PC, presumably to give them remote access. When I explain that I do not have a pc, they would hang up or get abusive.

What concerns me most is that, after doing some reading up about this, it is clear that these scammers have a lot of people's account number, address etc. If they have that, then I assume they must have my bank details too, as I pay by direct debit. TalkTalk don't seem to be doing anything about this as the calls are actually increasing in number and this scam seems to have begun some months ago, from what I've read. I can't report the phone number as they are all 'unavailable', or 'out of area'.

This has made me very keen to leave TalkTalk ASAP but my contract doesn't end until March. I'm not even sure if leaving will help since the scammers may already have my details. Is anyone else getting these calls? I'm really worrying about it.

Comments

• wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I've been receiving a lot of these calls claiming to be from TalkTalk. I'm well aware that they are a scam but they are now ringing every hour and I'm not sure what to do. When I did answer them on a couple of calls, it was someone with an Indian accent. One was called Susan, the other James. They tried to get me to use various keys on my PC, presumably to give them remote access. When I explain that I do not have a pc, they would hang up or get abusive.

What concerns me most is that, after doing some reading up about this, it is clear that these scammers have a lot of people's account number, address etc. If they have that, then I assume they must have my bank details too, as I pay by direct debit. TalkTalk don't seem to be doing anything about this as the calls are actually increasing in number and this scam seems to have begun some months ago, from what I've read. I can't report the phone number as they are all 'unavailable', or 'out of area'.

This has made me very keen to leave TalkTalk ASAP but my contract doesn't end until March. I'm not even sure if leaving will help since the scammers may already have my details. Is anyone else getting these calls? I'm really worrying about it.

Are you sure they have all your account details?

Why do you think they are really from TalkTalk?

If they are scammers and have your bank details already then they won't be phoning you they will be too busy emptying your account.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why do you think this is related to TalkTalk in any way?

Are you sure they have your TalkTalk account number? If they do, I suspect that they must have tricked you into giving it to them at some point.

They will either be dialling computer generated random phone numbers, or just working through the phone directory (which would give them your name, address, phone no).

Moving away from TalkTalk won't help.

It might help if you changed your number and made it ex-directory.

Otherwise, the best solution is just to hang-up or waste their time and wind them up. Whichever you prefer.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TalkTalk have already sent an email warning customers about this and basically it said that the system had been breached and some personal information may have been part of it. So I'm sure these calls are to do with that. My phone number has been ex directory since the day it was installed. I'm also on the telephone preference service but this doesn't stop calls from foreign countries.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am with TalkTalk and exdirectory.

Being exdirectory doesn't help with the computer generated calls.

Being with TalkTalk does - it has a free, once you've registered, callbaring service.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    I can't use the call barring service as the calls are all out of area and no number is available.

I've heard of lots of others getting these calls and when they ask the caller to confirm their account number for security reasons, the scammers were able to give it. Some even knew exactly what package, bolt ons etc they had. With another, they knew their credit card number.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 January 2015 at 1:51PM
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I've heard of lots of others getting these calls and when they ask the caller to confirm their account number for security reasons, the scammers were able to give it. Some even knew exactly what package, bolt ons etc they had. With another, they knew their credit card number.

Hi ripplyuk

I think you are confusing two different types of calls.

1) You are getting calls from scammers trying to compromise your computer, to blackmail you into paying them money to fix it.

2) The "lots of others" are getting annoying calls from TalkTalk sales agents in overseas call centres. These sales agents are trying to make them upgrade their services and pay more. They are not trying to compromise their computers or blackmail them.

Edit to add:

If you/they don't want to receive sales/marketing calls from TalkTalk, you should be able to stop them as described here: http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/manage-my-marketing-preferences

(But that won't stop the scammers described in point 1 above.)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Usually 'David' ,'James' and 'Andrew' are calling from 'Microsoft' and the aim of the call is to get you to give them access to your machine via something like Teamviewer, so they can access the details you believe they already have.

If they ring when you have some time on your hands, it's fun to wind them up by pretending to be a complete novice who has no idea how computers work.
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    I found that as soon as a said I only have an iPad, they hung up immediately. I'm not sure why.

I've spoke to TalkTalk about this today and they said that they did have a breach of their data and the calls are happening to many people. Their advice was just to ignore them. I wish I could find out exactly what data was leaked, as I have no idea what details these scammers have.

I think the next time they ring, I'll ask them to confirm my account number to me. I know they managed to get a lot of people's account numbers but I'm hoping they haven't got mine.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Scammers can make a guess that you're a TalkTalk customer because TalkTalk (and other big telephone providers) have their own number allocations. If you have a TalkTalk number it's likely you are a TalkTalk customer.

Number allocations can be looked up on various sites eg Magenta
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These scanners claim to be from various companies, Microsoft, "Windows", BT, TalkTalk I have had less since I just say I am too old to have a computer. ;):o:rotfl:
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure