IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sundown adventureland
Closed Thread
Views: 40,703
# 1
WOW Factor 0
loopylass81
Old 29-07-2007, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sundown adventureland

Has anyone been here before? Any tips on how to save while there and also if there is any money off vouchers anywhere?

http://www.sundownadventureland.co.uk/index.asp

Thanks in advance..
The Following User Says Thank You to loopylass81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
vikingaero
Old 30-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks for the pointer Loopy. Never even knew this place existed and it'll be perfect for my 2 monsters.
# 3
babyblooz
Old 30-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We go there a lot and its lovely. It's perfect for littlies. If you want to save money I suggest you take a packed lunch. There are a couple of cafes, and theyre not ridiculously expensive. Both of them have little play areas attached, so if you feed the kids first, you can go in an have a nice hot cuppa freshly made. Really once you have paid to go in, everything else is free. There are loads of spots to enjoy a picnic. Nice toilets, with changing facilities and handwashing facilities etc. Car park is free as well and no, I don't get commision for recommending it. It's a nice, safe place that caters for little people and their families. Hubby checked out the construction of the adventure playground facilities etc. and he was impressed. Everything countersunk and nicely smoothed off. Lots of chipped bark around the slides etc. There is only one way in and one way out too, so even if the little people go walkabout, they can't get out onto the car park. I think they do a buy 10, get one in free sort of thing, but we don't go en-masse. Usually just grandma and grandad and our little man!

It's fab!
please play nicely children !
The Following User Says Thank You to babyblooz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
babyblooz
Old 30-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Forgot to say that I am a childcare person, so I look at these places with a 'professional eye'.
# 5
susieb
Old 02-08-2007, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks, we are staying a retford next week so may do a trip here. Will it be entertaining enough for a 5 and 9 year old.
Always on the hunt for a bargain
# 6
pringy
Old 06-08-2007, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ive been a few times now an i find it all a bit surreal, the santas grotto ride reminds me of the boat in original willy wonka film but the kids love it (5 & 2)! susieb 9 yo might be a bit bored by most of it i think its aimed more at younger children? plenty of adventure parks tho. last time i went was in june an the inndoor play area was really stinky, hope thats been sorted by now!!!
# 7
loopylass81
Old 06-08-2007, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Didnt try the indoor part as it was a lovely day... will say one things they had notices all over the place. They got flooded when we all did a couple of months ago and they are still trying to recover from that!!! It was a brillant day and i think we will be going again soon...
# 8
carolan78
Old 18-08-2007, 3:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We went at the beginning of August, 4 adults a 18month old, 9 month old, 2 x3 year olds and a 6 year old. We took a picnic and ate it around the sandy play area. Was a fab day for all and cost us 60 quid for entry and ice creams so wouldn't say it was an expensive day by any means but had far more fun than we may have had at the more expensive parks. The day jus flew by and we had 5 very tired children much to the mums delight lol.
# 9
lovelar
Old 18-08-2007, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

We absolutely love Sundown...find the entrance fee excellent value for money...we always take a picnic in the summer and apart from a cuppa, need to spend no other money while we are there. There is loads to do and we always try to get their for opening time and we never leave much before it closes, so we truly get our monies worth!
It is also a fab experience at Christmas and the place is transformed..the entrance fee is the same and the kids can meet Father Christmas and they get a pretty good present too....although the queus for this can be massive and boring...however we discovered last year that you can trade your "ticket to see santa" at a gift shop and just get the present without queuing to see him
There are also a couple of additional food outlets open in winter that you wouldn't even know existed in the summer that sell only Jacket Spuds and are pretty good value!
# 10
danielleknox23
Old 02-09-2008, 3:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default hiya

does any one have any idea how id get here form nottingham city using public transport?
# 11
babyblooz
Old 02-09-2008, 5:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you google it to get the postcode, then google AA route map, you can put the postcodes in and it will give you a free route map, from door to door. We use this a lot when we go anywhere and its never let us down yet! A great freebie service!
# 12
carolan78
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Bump as Danielle wanted to know which Public transport she needed not the route

Sorry I am from Leeds so I have no idea x
# 13
mew
Old 03-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is a great little theme park for toddlers and young children, I went when I was little and have taken my own daughter. One thing I do find strange though is it's location. It's in the shadow of a large power station and just down the road from Rampton Secure mental hospital.

danielleknox23: I don't think it is a very easy place to get to by public transport, this might be of help: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/LocalLynx.pdf

Have you thought Of http://www.wheelgatepark.com/ I don't think it's as good for toddlers as Sundown but for younger children it's really fun and should be easier to get to by bus as it's on a main road.
# 14
lemonade_lifestyle
Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This place is fantastic for kids, I would say under 8's will find it great, over 8's may be little bored.
There are half a dozen ish 'RIDES' and lots of open space for kids to run around in. Plenty of playground areas, 2 or 3 ?? massive sand pits with toys, go carts, lovely grassy areas for picnics. We went last week and only spent 2 x 8.50 (everyone is 1 price, under 2's I think free) couple quid for ice cream and 1.50 for toy sword in gift shop!! Took picnic and loved it.

Yes i do agree it seems in a really strange location, what with massive Power station near by, however you don't notice anything once in there and I'm sure if there was any health concerns then they wouldn't be celebrating their 40th birthday this year!!

Will definatley go back again at christmas
# 15
vikingaero
Old 13-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Well. What can I say? It's brill! All you oop Northerners who live close to this place are very lucky indeed.

We were wondering what to do with Les Monsters on Bank Holiday Monday. As we had my nieces birthday party in Harlow and figured that we were a good hour into a journey to Sundown so we booked into Newark Premier Inn as our overnight base before heading to Sundown.

We arrived early as we always do (9.30am) and by 9.45 the tills were open even though it states 10am opening! I've never seen that in a theme park!

When we walked in it brought back reminders of Disney Paris.

The rides were good for DD1&2 and they loved walking into and out of the buildings. Loved the Crash Landings place - new, modern and clean. And the staff were friendly too, not like the surly lot we get Dahn Sarf!

Prices were reasonable to eat in - 9 for burger, 2 hot dogs, 2 fries and 2 drinks; although I would have preferred at least one of the cafes being less burger n chips and more decent cooked meals.
# 16
tattycath
Old 13-04-2009, 10:17 PM

I used to take my kids there and they loved it!!! (note I said used to-they're teenagers now). But it was great fun and to cut costs we used to take a picnic. For best value for money we used to 'make a full day of it' the kids never got bored of it and we all got got plenty of exercise and fresh air.
GE 36 * til mortgage free date December 2027
MFIT-T3 No 106 grocery challenge march 398.00/400 April 340/400 may 0.00/350
Savings 2014 2,062/4,000
Target to be mortgage free by end of 2022
Post 593 1% club #24 390.41/1400 No42 19/50
10 a day May 243/310
# 17
BenL
Old 14-04-2009, 1:37 PM

At 28 I am a little overage for this place but it was great. I went last month with my g/f and her 2 y/o daughter.

We had a great time. G/f and I were able to play on everything as well.

The water ride was out of action for servicing.

We took a picnic and sat under the shelter, it was a little cold but not rainy.

It is really well done, i was amazed at the detail and the thought that had gone into it.
I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
& Choo Choo for trains!!
# 18
foxmeister
Old 14-04-2009, 5:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We went last year with our 3 year old and 1 year old.
Had a nice day although animals not up to much, very few animals compared with what I remember from when I went on school trips there 20+ years ago!! ... suggest Flamingoland if your kids like animals.
Personally I thought that our kids were a bit young to fully enjoy and appreciate the activities and 'things to do'.
Maybe we'll go again next year when they're older.
Foxy.
# 19
deanos
Old 15-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Sundown (formerly pets corner god that makes me old !) is great for the kids, only letdown is not much to to indoors, although i think a new indoor area has opened up this year.

I can also suggest Twinlakes nr Melton Mowbary, this is a very good park too and has 2 huge and i mean huge indoor play areas so if the weather is poor there is loads to do indoor,and loads of animals to look at and feed as well, i would say this is age range 3+ up to teenagers as there are a few thrill rides there for the older ones, i would say Twinlakes is far better value for money as there is so much more to do there, they also own Wheelgate Park but not been there myself co cant comment.
# 20
BenL
Old 15-04-2009, 12:44 PM

The lack of animals is apparently due to foot and mouth a few years ago.

Sundown changed from animals to the animated animals.
I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
& Choo Choo for trains!!
Closed Thread