How to use the TV Return socket

Options
Hello,

I live in a flat and I have just purchased a second tv to use in the bedroom. After plugging the TV into the aerial socket I have found I do not get a signal. I tried it on the socket in the living room and it works fine so I know the TV is not broken.

I have done a bit of googling and I believe that in order to get it to work I need to use the 'Return' socket located on the aerial socket in the Living Room. But I am a bit confused as to how this works, does anyone have any experience?

Current set up is:

We live in a block of flats with a communal aerial and communal satellite dish.

The socket in the living room has connections for 'Sat', 'TV', 'FM DAB', and 'Return'.

We have sockets in two bedrooms each with 'TV' and 'FM DAB'.

There is a 'booster' plugged in in the airing cupboard. I have no idea what it does.

The television in living room has built in Freeview. We have 1 lead going from the 'TV' connection into this television and it works fine.

The new television for the bedroom also has built in Freeview.

We would like to be able to watch separate programs on both televisions at the same time.

Am I able to just plug in a 'Splitter' into the main socket, have 1 lead going into the living room television and another going into the Return socket?

Comments

• johnmc
    johnmc Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    Do some research on coax cables. Old style (probably as fitted to the flats) are not really suitable for digital services.

The loss per meter was acceptable for old services but even a relatively short run needs double screened coax, as normally fitted to satellite.

As long as you haven't got any power going to the socket you should be able to lift the front and view the cable type.

The booster does what it says on the tin, ie, improve the signal from the aerial, but should ideally be fitted to the masthead.

You may have to replace the full coax run with low loss cable.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    johnmc wrote: »
    Do some research on coax cables. Old style (probably as fitted to the flats) are not really suitable for digital services.

Hogwash. IMHO.
  • reaprr
    reaprr Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I am renting, so I won't be replacing any cables any time soon!

I am also not particularly keen on taking sockets off the wall and messing with wires on the back, I would rather contact the letting agent first.

What effect would using a coax cable have? We have one running into the TV now with no problem at all.

My question is more basic than that, how do I connect the second television to receive a Freeview signal? And will we be able to watch 2 channels at once or will the 2nd TV just display whatever is on the main one?
  • fedupfreddie
    Options
    The easiest way is to get yourself an indoor aerial for the upstairs tv.
    It will be totally separate from the other tv.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    reaprr wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that I am renting, so I won't be replacing any cables any time soon!

I am also not particularly keen on taking sockets off the wall and messing with wires on the back, I would rather contact the letting agent first.

What effect would using a coax cable have? We have one running into the TV now with no problem at all.

My question is more basic than that, how do I connect the second television to receive a Freeview signal? And will we be able to watch 2 channels at once or will the 2nd TV just display whatever is on the main one?

Just plug the 2nd bedroom TV into the TV socket there and watch whatever you like on either, there will be no interaction between them.

I suspect the aerial comes into your flat and the amplifier in the cupboard is a multi output one so the signal is boosted and split, then distributed to all the 'TV' sockets in the flat by individual cables.

You are confusing Freeview and Satellite type signals.

reeview from an aerial in effect contains all the available channels at the same time in one signal bundle. A TV connected to this signal in effect just 'listens in' on the channel you select.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Crinkmeister
    Options
    Is the booster switched on? You might need to connect the return connector via a splitter as you say. Make sure you buy a proper splitter, not a cheap 2 into 1 adapter.
  • centretap
    centretap Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Suspect you have a set up similar to the one in this pdf

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/residents2008.pdf

In which case your splitter suggestion should do the trick. You could test this first by connecting a cable between the TV and Return sockets and then trying your television from the bedroom socket.
  • reaprr
    reaprr Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone I have everything set up and working.

Splitter on the 'main' socket in the living room, 1 cable going into the TV and the other into the 'return' socket.

Once I did that the 'TV' socket in the bedroom activated and the television could get a signal.

Both TVs are independent, Sillygoose you are right I did confused satellite/Freeview signals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure