IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN fine - advice on how to proceed, if anyone would be so kind...

Options
new guy and first post so hello one and all, hope you're all well.

being the registered keeper of a car that recently got pimped out with a rather fetching 100 quid PCN windscreen ticket, i'm after a bit of advice. car in question was briefly left in a recruitment consultant's car park a week last thursday around 8pm when the 'upgrade' took place.

due to the company behind the issuing company being a current IPC not BPA member (SolutionLabs Ltd. ), i'm starting this thread in accordance with coupon-mad's excellent sticky in the hope of getting a steer on the best course of action to take.

i've got pics of both the carpark sign & PCN but can't seem to find any way to attach them to this post, sorry.

thanks,

nick

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you get the NtK, you need to go on the offensive if the basis of charge is an IPC contractual one which attempts to get round GPEOL.
    They claim it is a charge you agreed for a service - parking. Well if it is, then the NtK is a proforma invoice and will be deficient.

Apart from any failures under POFA that c-m will advise on, you need to hit them with a letter similar to the following when you get the NtK. Amend as necessary.

This puts them on the spot to either claim no VAT is involved - in which case HMRC should be notified or if they say it is and supply an invoice showing the split, then they lose 17.5% of all charges income.

And, of course, you are not refusing to pay at this stage, just asking for the proper information.

"I acknowledge receipt of your contractual charge sent to me as registered keeper of vehicle xxxxxx.

At this stage, I am unable to ascertain who was driving when they parked the vehicle. As your letter states that, under these circumstances, liability for any charge, under Protection of Freedom Act 2012, passes to me as the registered keeper.

In order for me to consider this as a "contractual charge", then your letter is in effect an invoice for a service received from you. In that event, you must follow the law and supply me with an invoice that complies with Government legislation as laid out in the government requirements here https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-tak...y-must-include

In particular, I draw you attention to the requirements for a simplified invoice of this amount which clearly states that if your company is VAT registered, you must provide me with your VAT registration number, your full business address and the rate at which VAT is being charged or a statement that the service for which you seek payment is VAT exempt. This is in addition to the requirements for all invoices, again covered in the link I provided in (3) above.

I run a business and am able to reclaim all business costs and I require this for my own VAT records as VAT, if applicable, is reclaimable.

Without a compliant invoice, I would be unable to consider the matter further and await a revised invoice.
    In addition, there is one other point I would like clarification on if you decide not to cancel this charge. It has been reported to me that the landowner's agreement with you on this site has certain limited rights at this site to pursue motorists for charges and restrictions included in the contract you have with them. As you are not the landowner, I think it only reasonable that you provide me with evidence that you do have the legal right to make contracts and charge motorists at this site and I would ask sight of any contract that confers that right upon you.

Again, this is required before I am able to consider this matter further.

I look forward to receiving the information and clarification in due course.

For the sake of clarity, and for appeal purposes, I would prefer that this be considered as a request for further information but should you choose not to supply me with the information I have asked, then please treat it as an appeal for IPC/IAS purposes.
    "
  • billy_ray
    billy_ray Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 5 December 2014 at 3:11PM
    Options
    Mr Dad

You, sir, are a gentleman & a scholar. I thank you for your swift and most educational response. Very interesting to see how a situation such as mine should be approached through a purely legal perspective.

One thing. The various deadlines on the PCN can be safely ignored with action only undertaken once the NtK has arrived in the post, correct?

Thanks again
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    billy_ray wrote: »
    One thing. The various deadlines on the PCN can be safely ignored with action only undertaken once the NtK has arrived in the post, correct?

Thanks again

Unless you want to pay the bargain discount price, then wait for the NtK as there may be some missing or erroneous stuff that is not POFA compliant.

If you feel inclined, then look up POFA 2012 schedule 4 and also the IPC web site - you can also look up the BPA site too. Under their AOS (approved operator scheme), they have a copy of POFA plus guidelines as to what the PPC MUST have on a compliant NtK.

Some of them fail on not having the right info. That is an appeal point.

When it comes to the appeal, then come back, but be sure to let us know if the NtK is a contractual or trespass/damages case. Read the IPC web site to see what their recommended signage wording is for either case.

You will find all of this educational. (eventually!)
  • billy_ray
    Options
    i shall be doing my homework. the opportunity to go toe to toe with these cockroaches is far too good to pass up!

i'll be back once the NtK turns up.

all the best mr dad & have a jolly nice weekend
  • billy_ray
    Options
    So, irritatingly, the NtK has finally showed up. Thought maybe a little goodwill to all men had seeped in over the christmas period, no such luck.

The NtK is clearly a contractual affair as it bangs on about not coughing up for parking with no valid permit and the sign in the car park itself clearly states:

"By parking or remaining at this site otherwise than in accordance with the above, you, the driver, are agreeing to the following contractual terms:

You agree to pay consideration in the form of a 'parking charge'..."

etc etc.

So my next move is to parry this by whipping over the response outlined in post #2 and see what happens?
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This puts them on the spot to either claim no VAT is involved - in which case HMRC should be notified or if they say it is and supply an invoice showing the split, then they lose 17.5% of all charges income.

Indeed, and if they are working a v.a.t. scam you may hear no more from them.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Jim_AFCB
    Jim_AFCB Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    and it's 20% these days....
    Bournemouth - home of the Mighty Cherries
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income