Watch battery replacement charges

Options
Whilst with a friend collecting his watch from a well known jewelers at Blue Water in Kent I asked how much to replace the battery in my Raymond Weil watch, £70 was the reply,,, "wow now this is not an overly expensive time piece so why so much, anyway battery 68p watch back removing tool £3 from amazon job done in 10 mins.
I know a profit has to be made from services rendered but £70 is taking the ****
"Imagination is more Important than knowledge"

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst I know nothing of Raymond Weil watches, perhaps their pricing also covers (to some extent) their insurance/loss in case they damage any watch to which they replace a battery?
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 November 2014 at 11:56AM
    Options
    I had an adidas watch that waterproof to 200 metres and the run of the mill high street places would not open it, they said it would have to go back to the manufacturer to be opened, battery replaced, watch serviced, and then resealed and pressure tested cost about the same as you were quoted

they would not open it because they couldn't guarantee it would remain waterproof
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    a lot of the higher end watches are pressurised as the above poster mentioned , should of bought a cheap casio at the end of the day it still tells the time
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • Nosler
    Nosler Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    I went to a pound shop and got a pack of 24 button batteries for a pound....
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know the brand but certain companies do servicing at the same time which includes changing any parts that need doing e.g. scratched face.

Personally I'd go to a decent watch shop.
    I recently got my gucci batter changed at Vauxhall railway station.
    It was about £12 which is a good price for a Gucci watch and came with a guarantee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure