Fence Height Help

Options
Hi,

We are due to have a viewing on this property:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45190924.html?premiumA=true

As you can see the fence panels aren't in great condition and having walked past the property, if you are walking on the footpath you can see straight through onto the seating area and you aren't private at all. I've got a tape measure with me ready to measure them properly, but I would guess they are currently about 5ft. Any ideas what would be the maximum height you could go to if you wanted to replace them?

It's probably best to look on the street view to get an idea. Note that the hedge in the property, isn't the boundary, it goes further back.....

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it was me, I'd replace the fence with a hedge. The road it's on looks fairly busy (it has white lines painted on it so can only assume) and a hedge would block out a bit of noise too.

Unfortunately I can't give you any advice on the height though I can't imagine another foot would make much of a difference.

ETA: Lovely house btw.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    Most councils as far as I know do have restrictions on the max height of garden fencing of 6 ft anything above that {even a trellis on top} would more than likely need the correct planning clearance. I would check with council before going ahead with any changes before you did them.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    1800mm is a typical fence height, but my choice is to aim at 2000mm. If sound is an issue consider a wall - this will deaden and bounce back sound. Also the height is not restricted to that of standard fencing. But be aware of structural stability and wall thickness versus height. Also be aware of Planning - you are not on some discrete back garden boundary.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2014 at 7:18PM
    Options
    you wouldn't have any issues at 2 mtrs, but I too would favour a hedge longterm.

Just read furts post above, was going to say there may have been some covanent restricting fences etc, but I think it unlikely.

Don't think a wall is much more use given the open access needed for the drive

PS, thanks R&G, I've now placed my bid for your new house, :D:D:D,

no, of course, but I'm sure you get the point.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Furts
    edited 22 November 2014 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Looking at the space available I would not favour a hedge - it will have to be planted perhaps 750mm away from the back edging then it will spread and need trimming. It is easy to see 1500mm, or more, being lost from the garden area. There will then not be a lot left.

Should a wall be up for consideration, mine abutting the path in similar situation, is 2250-2325 high. This exceeds a timber fence height and makes a good burglar proof boundary. Plus, the Local Authority approved this.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I will see how we get on tomorrow. We live about 5 mins walk away already so are familiar with the area. There has been Japanese knot weed problem previously but all treated 12mths ago by registered company and has a 20yr guarantee but that's another story!

I will also make enquiries with the council. So I guess it is 6ft total height so if you have the concrete boards then a fence on top the total height will be 6ft maximum.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    I will also make enquiries with the council. So I guess it is 6ft total height so if you have the concrete boards then a fence on top the total height will be 6ft maximum.

It could be, all councils seem to have their own bylaws ect, see what other properties around have as that could give you a guide line as to what would be allowed in the area :0)
  • Furts
    Options
    lovehols wrote: »
    Thanks, I will see how we get on tomorrow. We live about 5 mins walk away already so are familiar with the area. There has been Japanese knot weed problem previously but all treated 12mths ago by registered company and has a 20yr guarantee but that's another story!

Check very, very carefully, for signs of Knotweed before digging any new fence post holes. Likewise with any gardening that you propose.
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    Lets see how we get on tomorrow. We need to get more details about the JK. Apparently the other side of the hedge (which is owned by the property) there was JK which was all dealt with. There is also a brook too. We need to find out the exact boundary as beyond that is the woods which are owned by the local Parish Council which you can see on the map.

I am a Parish Councillor and know that there has been JK in the woods reported and of course, they are dealing with this professionally so I guess it's just making sure what the guarantee on the treatment the property has had covers.

It can be a busy road - not a main road through the village but there are a few houses on a nearby estate, but luckily all the rooms of the property face the rear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure