PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House of Horrors - only moved in Friday 14th

Options
I don’t know if this is something anyone can give us advice onbut we’ve had a series of problems since moving into our house lastFriday.

We had to get someone out to look at the boiler the day we moved in asthe pipe at the back of the house was flushing out with water which turned outto be due to a valve been loose. We have been told this could have beenaccidently knocked when the vendor left the property whilst removing items suchas the washing machine. He also had to replace the stop clock. Acost that we did not think we would have to pay on our first day ofmoving into the house.

We then had a issue with the light fitting in themaster bedroom. The vendor obviously had a chandelier in the room andthey have taken this with them but have left live wires hanging from theceiling which we have been informed is illegal as they should of put theoriginal light fitting back. We now have to pay to call in electrician tosort this out for us as we are unable to do this ourselves.

The vendor has left a washing machine outside the front ofour property with a note saying that the council was due to collect onWednesday. Our neighbour complained to us on Saturday that it has beenthere a while so I called the council to find out when it is going to beremoved and if I’m honest I don’t think they knew anything about it. Thecouncil expect you to pay to have this removed and if our vendor has not donethis it looks like we will be left to pay the cost to have this removed which Ithink is unfair to say the least.

Last night we went home to the smell of strong gas so we hadto call the emergency gas line. A emergency engineer was sent that hasinformed us that we have two gas leaks one in the gas box and another behindthe cooker. We now have to pay for a gas engineer to come out and fixthis issue (as he couldn’t) and our cooker has been condemned until we doso.

We were looking forward to moving into our new home but asyou can see it has been one problem after another and we have only been there 6days.

I don’t know if this is something anyone can advise us on nowwe have completed. We feel that the vendor must have been aware of someof these issues before moving from the house and feel this is unfair that wehave been stuck with costs we feel we shouldn’t have to pay and that shouldhave been resolved prior to us moving in.

The house is only 17 years old and im gutted that we did not get a survey done but would all this have been brought to our attention if we did have a survey? I have been doing some digging and found out we only have a gas safety certificate for 2010, 2011 and 2012 and the previous vendor has since had a new cooker fitted but with no safety certificate.

I have passed this information over to our solicitor but he has failed to respond.

Comments

• Mallotum_X
    Mallotum_X Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Options
    Frustrating things to happen.

Damaged caused by them moving out wouldn't have been picked up on a survey. Have you spoken to your solicitor?

How much has it cost for you to put things right?

In the grand scheme of moving home it's probably not worth getting too stressed about any of these things, and whilst annoying may be easier to just pay to get things put right.

Washing machines will often be taken by scrap metal people, so you could always put a sign on it that its scrap and see if it goes or put something on a local facebook group.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the joys of home ownership!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TBH, several of these are quick and simple fixes.

There's no requirement for a gas safety certificate unless the house is rented out. The gas leak is a problem, yes, but not a particularly drastic one - I'm surprised the gas fitter couldn't resolve it there and then for minimal cost. If the leak in the meter box is on the supply side of the meter, then it's not your responsibility to fix anyway.

Fitting a light fitting to the exposed wires is not an involved process - the work of minutes for anybody vaguely DIY competent. If you aren't DIY competent, you're going to either have to become so quickly, find a friend who is, or you will find home ownership very expensive and frustrating.

Do you have a car? If so, take the WM to the tip yourselves.
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    Two gas leaks at the same time? Sounds like a bit of bad luck? Who fitted the cooker for you when you moved in? Or was this vendor'd cooker they left behind?
    Gas safety certificates are only required for rental properties, aren't they?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Good grief, if I left a washing machine outside the front of my house it'd be gone by the time I made it back to my front door.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    Good grief, if I left a washing machine outside the front of my house it'd be gone by the time I made it back to my front door.

Op should put a sign on it saying "for sale £50".

It'll be gone in minutes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport