Pothole claims guide discussion

Options
Former_MSE_Rebecca
Former_MSE_Rebecca Posts: 173 Forumite
edited 26 January at 5:20PM in Motoring
Hi all,

We've written a new Pothole Claims guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you would add?

Thanks for your help,

MSE Rebecca

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where have you hidden it? I can't see it anywhere.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Click on the Article alert banner ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • MrCautious_2
    Options
    I don't like this kind of thing. You are moving into the no win no fee kind of territory. The compensation culture we are becoming s not pleasant.
  • ca55ie
    ca55ie Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Hit a pothole when pulling back into the inside lane on the M6 (between J17 and J16). It was so deep it caused a blow out. The whole experience was very frightening and I was fortunate to be able to get to the hard shoulder safely.
    I decided to claim from the Highways Agency because that stretch of the M6 was a series of pot holes and poor tarmac.

The best advice is persevere. The forms sent to me were phrased to make me give up before I started - so negative. However, I was so angry I completed every step (hurdle) and eventually they compensated me for the replacement wheel and tyre I required.

My advice - ask for compensation, keep all the evidence, bills etc and keep pushing them.

Good Luck
  • ca55ie
    ca55ie Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    MrCautious wrote: »
    I don't like this kind of thing. You are moving into the no win no fee kind of territory. The compensation culture we are becoming s not pleasant.

I'm sorry - I don't understand your post. It's very scary having a blow out - I wouldn't wish it on anyone. This isn't about compensation. Its reparation and hopefully making authorities take the dangers of un-repaired potholes more seriously.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ca55ie wrote: »
    This isn't about compensation.

Erm... From your earlier post... (four minutes earlier - had you forgotten already?)

ca55ie wrote: »
    and eventually they compensated me for the replacement wheel and tyre I required.

My advice - ask for compensation

Oh dear...
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    One evening last December we were one of a number of motorists who hit a deep pothole which resulted in me needing a replacement steel wheel and tyre. Our council has an online facility for reporting potholes which I used to report this and several others and they were all patched within a few days. Despite my misgivings about claiming I did so as it was obvious that this pothole had only recently been patched but the plug of tarmac had come out leaving a sheer sided hole nearly six inches deep and two feet across which when full of water was invisible in the dark. The following morning I took several photos of the pothole and damage to the car at which time two other motorists stopped to say that they had also sustained serious damage to their vehicles on the same evening. I actually picked up several wheel trims (including mine) that were lying on the verge where other cars had hit the same pothole.
    After completing an online claim form and sending the pictures and a quote for a new wheel, tyre and tracking check I received a payment of £277 from my local authority. My advice would therefore be to first check whether the authority responsible for the road in question was already aware of the pothole and if not, when they last checked the road as they are legally obliged to do this periodically. Common sense and fairness needs to prevail as the Council can hardly be expected to accept responsibility for something they could not reasonably have been aware of. If however it turns out that this was a known problem and no remedial action had been taken then it may be reasonable to submit a claim. If this is the case make sure you provide a clear explanation of what happened, when, where and what the resultant damage was with photographs and a proper garage quote to support your claim.
    It took quite a lot of time and effort to submit a claim but I was very pleased with the response and result so cannot fault the Council in the way they responded and acted having met my claim in full.
  • cjmason72
    Options
    Has anyone had a successful claim for people and potholes as my son tripped up one when he was crossing the road (he was two at the time) and I complained to my local council who subsequently sent me a very large letter containing every bit of documented evidence on how they maintained this road yet obviously it was not maintained at the time my son injured himself and his facial injuries were horrific. They just did not want to know :mad:
  • autosere
    Options
    About 2 months ago I was on the approach road entering the caravan club site in Southport when I went down a pothole which was full of water, It took a slice out of my car tyre, I could,nt stop to take a photo of the hole because I had my caravan connected & I would have blocked the road. On returning home which was 45 miles away I had the tyre checked by a tyre firm, They said it was dangerous to use & get new one, £220 fitted & (wheel needs to be repaired yet). The hole was 2 mtrs square, 440 cms deep & Sefton council new about it but decided not to do anything about it till after the August bank holiday they didn't even cone it off knowing that road would be busy with caravans all day every day. To cut the story short I have now received a letter off their claim handler that it is hard luck, they done all they needed to do & they are not liable. The hole was repaired 2 days after the bank holiday, I have been told they had a duty of care to cone it off for the safety of the public & pursue the claim. Any comments anyone
  • Shazzak
    Options
    Hi

Can we have advice what to do when the responsible authority says it is not responsible, because the pothole is down to a third party, eg, a utility supplier, who did not complete the repair work to the right standard, hence a pothole. This happened to us last year and the authority denied responsibility on these grounds. We argued that the highways authority was responsible for the roads and the contractors it appoints to undertake any works to repair the roads, and that we ought not be responsible for chasing around after their failed contractors, since contractually that ought to be the role of the organisation commissioning the work. We were sent on a wild goose chase to try to get a round £200 worth of repair work refunded.

Many thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure