Barclaycard reduced interest - just ask!

Trying to sort out my debts - one of which is over £6k on my Bcard.

Just called them to ask if they could lower the interest rate and they did - just like that! They've decreased it from 19.9% to 6.9% on the current balance, although its still 19.9% on further purchases - however as I'm trying to decrease my debt I won't be buying on it!

Why didn't I do this before? ? Literally took 5 minutes!
Starting again..

Comments

• MrSilk
    MrSilk Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 October 2014 at 6:42PM
    The thread title is a little misleading IMO

Why would BC reduce your interest by more than 13% on a debt of £6K, knowing you can't pay it off anytime soon... Strange business strategy!. But good for you, hope there isn't a catch in it!!
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MrSilk wrote: »
    The thread title is a little misleading IMO

Why would BC reduce your interest by more than 13% on a debt of £6K, knowing you can't pay it off anytime soon... Strange business strategy!. But good for you, hope there isn't a catch in it!!

Sorry what do you mean "is a little misleading"? I have CC with Bcard and make more than the minimum payments each month (sometimes over £500 (problem is I always seem to then spend on it again)) so I phoned them and they reduced the interest. Maybe I should have stated that its for a two year period and then it goes back up to 19.9%.
    Starting again..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    At the moment, I think Barclaycard would let you sleep with its sister if you asked them.
  • Maestro.
    Maestro. Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    ^Agreed, Barclaycard in my experience are very lenient, they doubled my credit limit without even checking my credit file and based on answers I could easily have lied about...
    Oh, you wee bazza!
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My interest rate with my Barclaycards is about 16.4%. Not bothered because as with all my cards the balances are paid off every month.

I am pleased for the OP getting their interest rate reduced but would annoy me having to pay any in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure