IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye Appeal

Options
I'm about to submit my appeal to Parking Eye. Just tying up a loose end. Does anyone have the specific reference for the POPLA decision by Marina Kapour relating to Town Quay, Southampton? This relates to the charge in the parking notice not being justified by Parking Eye.
Also, does anyone know how you can access these POPLA decisions? I see plenty of snippits on forums but can't see how to find these decisions.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's no external list of decisions but we have a long list of appeals that have been won - it's the sticky at the top of the forum index 'POPLA Decisions'. You could look through those, starting with most recent.

Alternatively, why not use the forum search engine with key words - Kapour Southampton' - might be a good starting point? Make sure you ask it to search 'posts' rather than 'threads'.

See how you get on with these.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2014 at 4:47PM
    Options
    2spicy's appeal has the POPLA code in question where Chris Adamson (not Marina Kapour) found there was no keeper liability because byelaws apply at Town Quay:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65741262#post65741262

I would say something like:

'' Southampton Town Quay car park has no keeper liability due to byelaws prevailing. Specifically Associated British Ports 'Town Quay' car park has been found by POPLA as fact, not to be "Relevant Land" under the POFA 2012 definition. It is my understanding that ParkingEye are aware of this issue following POPLA decision code 6060344057 and that they are currently under investigation by the DVLA in terms of their continued misleading terms claiming keeper liability at this site. ''

See this if you haven't read it already but don't quote it as we don't know quite what is going on:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/are-dvla-gearing-up-for-legal-action.html

PE won't contest your POPLA appeal and you will win.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jammyjam
    Options
    My appeal to ParkingEye won without having to go to POPLA.

I am posting this because I hope people will find the wording less legalistic than other examples. Some of it is particular to my case i.e. the notice was too late, but most of it is general and will apply in every case.

1. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoF Act) Keeper Liability cannot be invoked: Town Quay is not relevant land as Byelaws apply to it.
    Section 3 of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 states:

‘3(1) In this Schedule ‘relevant land’ means any land (including land above or below ground level) other than

(a) a highway maintainable at the public expense (within the meaning of section 329(1) of the Highways Act 1980);
    (b) a parking place which is provided or controlled by a traffic authority;
    (c) any land (not falling within paragraph (a) or (b)) on which the parking of a vehicle is subject to statutory control.’

Town Quay together with other port land in this area is covered by Associated British Ports Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003 (statutory control) http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Port_Information/Regulations/Byelaws/
    Therefore, under 3(c) of the Act, Town Quay does not come within the definition of ‘relevant land’ specified in the PoF Act 2012. This was confirmed by the POPLA decision dated 6th March 2014 (ref. 6060344057). Parking Eye, in full knowledge of this fact, has obtained my details fraudulently from the DVLA. The company is not legally entitled to pursue the keeper for a charge relating to this land, because Town Quay is not defined as ‘relevant land’ as required by the law.

2. The Parking Charge Notice (PCN) was not received within the time specified in the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
    Section 9(4) of the PoF Act states:
    ‘(4)The notice must be given by—
    (a)handing it to the keeper, or leaving it at a current address for service for the keeper, within the relevant period; or
    (b)sending it by post to a current address for service for the keeper so that it is delivered to that address within the relevant period.’

Section 9(5) of the PoF Act states the period within which the notice must be given:
    ‘(5)The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended.’
    The notice is dated 06/09/2014 and was received by the keeper on the 11/09/2014. Neither date is within the time specified in Section 9(5) of the Act for the event which is alleged to have occurred on the 17/08/2014. Also, this was only nine days before the date expired, shown on the PCN as 20/09/2014, for payment of the discounted parking charge. This does not comply with the 14 day period after delivery of the Notice to Keeper to pay at the discounted rate as specified in the BPA Code of Practice.

3. The Parking Charge Notice that was sent is for an amount which is unreasonable and is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss incurred.
    According to the Unfair Consumer Contract Regulations 1999, parking charges on private land must not exceed the cost to the landowner during the period the motorist is parked there. In this case, the £100 charge you are asking for far exceeds the cost to the landowner of £2.20. A fair and reasonable charge should reflect the actual loss from the unpaid parking charge. However, the amount in the Parking Charge Notice is punitive which cannot be justified and is a penalty which Parking Eye is not entitled to levy.
    The BPA Code of Practice states at paragraph 19.5 that a charge must represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss for a breach of contract. The Code goes on to state at 19.6 ‘If your parking charge is based upon a contractually agreed sum, that charge cannot be punitive or unreasonable.’ There are POPLA decisions and case law stating that punitive charges are not justified. Indeed, a recent decision concerning a parking charge at this very location was not accepted. The Assessor, Marina Kapour, found that the ‘… the charge is not justified commercially and so must be shown to be a genuine pre-estimate of loss in order to be enforceable against the appellant.’
    It has been established that the aim of damages is to be compensatory rather than punitive. The aim being to put the parties in the position they would have been had the contract been performed. On this basis, the amount in the PCN is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and does not comply with the law or the industry Code of Practice.

4. The signage is not compliant with the British Parking Authority (BPA) Code of Practice so there was no valid contract formed between Parking Eye and the driver.

The signage at the car park failed to comply with the BPA Code of Practice section 18 and appendix B. The signs fail to properly inform the driver of the terms and warn of any consequences for breach. The sign at the entrance to Town Quay fails to establish the elements of a contract (consideration/offer and acceptance). In breach of Appendix B (Mandatory Entrance Signs), Parking Eye does not display signage which could be readable at eye level, for a driver in moving traffic on arrival.

A contract could only be formed at the entrance to the premises, prior to parking (ANPR cameras are located on the access road to the quay, meaning that the car details are recorded before any parking is available and this is some 250 metres before the main public parking area is accessed at the end of the quay).

The sign at the entrance to Town Quay is at least 3 metres from the road surface above two other signs (see Appendix 1). It is not at eye-level for a driver entering the quay. This is also an area which is busy with pedestrians, cyclists and oncoming vehicular traffic. The driver’s attention is fully employed negotiating this area rather than reading this defective signage. Furthermore, the sign does not adequately inform the motorist that number plate recognition is in operation. A CCTV symbol and wording on the same sign is so small that it can only be read by standing directly under the sign looking upwards. This does not comply with BPA Code of Practice which states that:
    ‘Your signs at the car park must tell drivers that you are using this technology and what you will use the data captured by ANPR cameras for.’

Parking Eye signage does not adequately inform the driver of this.
  • soso14
    Options
    I too after sending the basic text template to Parking Eye plus quoting the bylaw and POPLA decision got correspondence from them cancelling the charge.

Thank you to all that have posted about this as I was in two minds it would work and to just pay it.
    I also rarely post anywhere, but I wanted to post to say it is possible to win and that the support and information on here is great.

Here is exactly what I sent which you will see is basically the template given on the stickies at the top of this forum, plus the extra POPLA decision for the Southampton Town Keys car park.

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car, on the following grounds:

a). The sum does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss, nor is it a core price term. It is a disguised penalty and not commercially justified.
    b). As keeper I believe that the signs were not seen, the wording is ambiguous and the predominant purpose of your business model is intended to be a deterrent.
    c). There is no evidence that you have any proprietary interest in the land.
    d). Your 'Notice' fails to comply with the POFA 2012 and also breaches the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments) Regs 2013.
    e). There was no consideration nor acceptance flowing from both parties and any contract with myself, or the driver, is denied.
    f), Southampton Associated British Ports Town Quay (short stay) car park has no keeper liability – due to byelaws prevailing. POPLA decision code 6060344057

The purpose of this communication is threefold:

1. Formal challenge
    There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn in the absence of evidence. As such, you must either rely on the POFA 2012 or prove beyond any doubt who was driving - or cancel the charge. I strongly urge you to uphold this challenge now or alternatively, send a rejection letter - subject to accepting my claim for costs as clearly stated below, since you have no case. I will then escalate this appeal to the independent appeal service offered by your Trade Body.

2. ''Drop hands'' offer
    The extravagant 'parking charge' is baseless but I realise that you may have incurred nominal costs. Equally, I have incurred costs to date, for researching the law, reading your Notice and responding, despite a lack of contract. I calculate both my costs and yours to be under £15 at this early stage, therefore, this is a formal “drop hands” offer. I remind you of the duty to mitigate any loss, so withdraw the spurious charge within 35 days without further expense and I will not pursue you for my costs. If you persist then I will charge in full for my time at £18 per hour plus my expenses.

3. Notice of cancellation of contract
    I hereby give notice of withdrawal from this alleged contract which was never properly offered or explained by you. The charge is not acknowledged, is not due and no 'service contract' from you was ever expressly requested by the driver or by me. Neither the driver nor myself gave 'prior express consent' or any consent at all for any contract to exist and it is not for me to pay an extravagant sum just because you chose to foist unexpected and non-negotiated onerous terms upon any driver of my vehicle. This 'contract' is hereby cancelled and any obligations now end. If you offer - and if I decide to use - your IAS or POPLA, then the contract still ends immediately on the date of their decision (whatever the outcome) so my notice of cancellation still applies.

As well as not meeting the requirements of the POFA 2012, you have clearly breached the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments) Regs 2013. Even if your contract is found not to be a 'distance contract' (which I say it is), it is a fact that providing the use of a parking bay is a contract which must follow the provisions of these new Regulations. You have failed to provide the required information for consumer contracts in a 'durable medium' in advance and you have failed to obtain 'express agreement' from the driver; a form of specific consent which cannot flow from a sign.

By replying to the challenge, you will also be acknowledging receipt, understanding and acceptance of points 2 and 3 above. If you do not now cancel, then I will be put to unnecessary expense and hours of time in appealing or defending this matter. As such, you will be liable for my costs which are likely to exceed £100 if you ignore the fact I have cancelled the contract, should you now proceed to independent appeal and/or small claims court.

Only reply with a rejection letter if you understand and accept your future liability, since I have already openly indicated the main points of appeal and have pointed out that your contract breaches current UK Regulations which were introduced in 2014 to protect consumers in a consistent manner. I have also cancelled any contract that you may think exists. If you choose to refuse my drop hands offer, you accept liability for my expenses and time wasted on repeating my points at further appeal stage and in court if necessary.
    I have kept a copy and this communication is clearly received by you unless proved otherwise. I look forward to your considered reply within 35 days and urge you to accept the drop hands offer and accept that I have cancelled any 'contract' because this resolves the dispute without cost.

Yours faithfully,
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's good to see, PE do seem to drop out a bit quicker now. No doubt they are busy with the Beavis case rather than fighting a losing battle against our appeals.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure