PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where to start...

Options
alice_kate_2
alice_kate_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 September 2014 at 5:44PM in Old style MoneySaving
Evening everyone :j

OH and I are moving into our first house soon :T we're both coming from parents so starting from scratch.

I've starting collecting a few cleaning supplies etc but want to make sure that we don't overspend once we are in on food/cleaning bits.

Do you think it's best to start stocking up on store cupboard bits now? Or wait until we're in and do one big shop? I don't want to get over excited and buy loads of food that won't get eaten or doesn't have any use as part of a meal etc! :)

I've been reading some of your recipes and threads and feel very inspired so want to go and start getting stuff ready now haha!

Thanks

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• gayle1
    gayle1 Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wonderful gd luckxxx]
    go shopping together at first so u know what eachother like
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    I would buy some of your basics for example tea, coffee, tomato sauce, salt, pepper etc that way your first shop will not become a massive one. I would also sit down with your partner and work out possible meals that way you will get to know each others food likes/dislikes making your first food shop easier.

Good luck and enjoy your new home together :)
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • camelot1001
    Options
    I agree with sitting down together to see what you both like and then make a list for your weeks shop. You will soon get to know what to get and gradually build up your stock of herbs, spices and store cupboard necessities.

Good luck to you both and enjoy your new home.
  • chrisfreelander54
    Options
    We started to put together a few things that's can be stored for a while when the wife and I got our first flat together, this was things like dried pasta, rice, jars of sauces, cereals etc.

HTH
    Chris.
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    buy a jar of spices that you like each week.. they last forever, you can buy refills and they are vital to many recipes.

Don't go overboard on cleaning stuff.. a bottle of bleach, washing up liquid, cif or something for monster stains and a bunch of sponges with green scrubbies and a pack of microfiber cloths.. anything beyond that you can get as and when.

wash powder and fabric conditioner.

Toothpaste.. toiletries which might be shared while with parents.

Loo rolls.. never get low on loo rolls!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    this may sound daft but go through the cupboards at home and see roughly what you have got in them, then for your home, look at dividing the items into lists, (just a thought - id go something like this)

CLEANING...
    Bathroom - toilet cleaner, loo brush, air freshner, cloths, bathroom spray

Kitchen - washing up liquid, kitchen cleaner, washing tablets, conditioner etc

General - dettol, dusters, window cleaner, star drops, ....

FOOD
    Store cupboard basic - cereal, jam,sauces, herbs, - non persihables, tea, coffee, sugar

Fridge and freezer - thats be when you move in.

FIRST AID KIT
    Plasters, paracetamol, ibuofen, diarahoea tablets.

TOILETTRIES
    deordrant, shower gel, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, hair remover,

-Theres a few suggestions, but work on those areas and expand as you can, as toilettries etc, theres your very posh (Moulton Brown), posh - Soap and Glory, Ted Baker, no 7, everyday - tresemme, branded items, - Value - cheap and cheerful.

it may be a case of once the bills etc start coming in the luxury brands get pushed aside, so grab them now

SHOPPING LIST.
    This is what i do, is work out roughly where I get the best value for money from, as a family we do one big shop, then small basket both on weekly basis. I have 3 lists on the go, Supermarket, Iceland for freezer items, £1 shop - cleaning items, shower gel etc, I work on once a mth for the £1 shop and same for freezer shop.

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How lovely :) I remember when we did the same. Our first shop was at Kwik Save(similar to Iceland now) we bought a tin opener :D

Just to put a different handle on things, do you have a bottom drawer? Tea towels, towels, sheets, pillowcases etc.
  • alice_kate_2
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - some helpful suggestions!

We have more than a bottom draw! Haha we have quite a bit:
    Lamps
    Towels
    Crockery
    Cutlery
    Glasses
    Chopping board
    Mattress protector
    Pillows
    Cushions
    A few cleaning bits eg dustpan and brush, some kitchen spray, some sponges and cloths etc
    Some little knives for fruit & veg
    Cushions (for the bedroom - want a finished room we can retreat to!)
    Dining table & chairs
    Pots and pans
    Utensils
    Microwave
    Toaster
    Kettle
    Iron

We need to get:
    Bed and chest of draws (all in hand)
    Sofa (all in hand)
    Duvet and duvet set
    Washing up bowl
    Cleaning products for bathroom
    Toilet rolls, soaps etc
    Washing up liquid, dish drainer etc
    Food shop
    Hoover
    Ironing board
    & probably loads more!

We've got enough to move in with but will need to pick up a few more things in the coming weeks and then once we're actually in! It's so exciting building everything to start in our first house :)
  • flossyann
    Options
    hi there,

just wanted to wish you both lots of luck in your new home :)

i remember when hubby and i got our first home we were given so many things from family and friends. nearly everything we had we was preloved and we gradually went through the rooms one by one and replaced/upgraded things slowly but surely so we didn't have such a huge expense all at once.

my best advice would be take your time and ask around if anyone has anything spare, check freecycle and freagle for second hand bits of furniture and housey things.

also i never let hubby shop on his own, he just wanders around aimlessly and buys biscuits, snacks and junk. Same happens if i go shopping when i'm hungry too :o, i always try to have a list in mind and pick fresh food from the back of the shelf (longer expiry dates) and shop late in the day for the yellow stickered food which i can freeze.

well done for starting as you mean to go on :beer:
  • alice_kate_2
    Options
    Flossyann - thanks for the well wishes. Haha I won't be letting OH shop alone as he would go a bit mad I think :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport