Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    matty mower
    Every one winner
    • 17th Sep 14, 9:12 PM
    Every one winner 17th Sep 14 at 9:12 PM
    Hi all
    In April of this year i parked in a pub car park in Lytham which was about 100 yards from a playground where i was taking my grandson,four weeks later i received a parking charge notice for £100 on the notice it had a photo of my car with a white sign on the left side,also about 100 yards away.The picture showed my car on its own in a car park that could hold at least 60 cars. I live in liverpool and visit my daughter in Lytham on a regular basis so after a week on receiving this notice i went around to the car park to see why i had missed all these signs, and would you believe it the sign that was included in with my car was completely covered by bushers and turned around the oposite way i read the notice and it was operated by CPM uk car park management it stated to park there was for the sole use of patrons of the public house and you needed a permit. It did not say were or how you got this permit ,so i assumed you went into the pub, which i did, at no time was i told by the pub personal did i have a permit, after a shandy i went out into the car park and observered two guys dressed in very simular clothing to car park attendents sitting close to were i had parked in April . to me these guys were waiting for people to park and take a photo then get back in their van. i must mention they did not put a penalty notice on your car you got that through the post . I stayed in that car park for 30 minutes and asked 7 people if they had permits they were shocked to know that they even need one,and duly left the car park were upon the two guys left also because they knew what i was up to. i sent a appeal off to CPM and they duely sent back that i was unuccessful in my appeal on the grounds that permits were only given to patrons of the public house and i did not have one displayed, Well being a scouser this to me was clearly a scam ie the notice only pointing in the right direction when a picture is taken then turned away so you can't see it the notice board saying you need a permit but not telling you were to get it .i asked for the number of POPLA so i could appeal to them.This is when they try to put pressure on you to pay the £100 they said this is their final decision and if i was unsuccessful with POPLA i would lose the right to pay the fine at the reduced rate and i could be liable for recovery cost and court costs I thought about it for 2 seconds and said no i am going all the way no matter what the cost even if the £100 charged went to £600 at least i tried well i presented all the pictures i had of the signs to POPLA and waited. In the mean time i went around to the pub which was the HOLE IN ONE in Lytham and i could't believe my eyes all the signs had been taken down , i asked why they had been taken down and was told the last manager was making no money in the pub so it looked likethis was a way of making money The conclusion of my appeal was that i won on the grounds stated below

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued
    incorrectly.
    The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any
    evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any
    evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
    Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.
    Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor

So my advice to anyone receiving these so called parking fines is fight them every time
Page 1
    • hoohoo
    • By hoohoo 17th Sep 14, 10:23 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    hoohoo
    • 17th Sep 14, 10:23 PM
    • 17th Sep 14, 10:23 PM
    Very interesting. pranky has blogged this which highlights what lowlifes this parking company are.

I will not call them scum because I know MSE frown on that.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 18th Sep 14, 3:39 AM
    • 8,153 Posts
    • 30,579 Thanks
    ampersand
    • 18th Sep 14, 3:39 AM
    • 18th Sep 14, 3:39 AM
    'scumpany' is my term, hoohoo:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• bod1467
    • By bod1467 18th Sep 14, 9:40 AM
    • 14,798 Posts
    • 13,461 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 18th Sep 14, 9:40 AM
    • 18th Sep 14, 9:40 AM
    Wall of text.

I didn't read it.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 18th Sep 14, 9:46 AM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 18th Sep 14, 9:46 AM
    • 18th Sep 14, 9:46 AM
    I only read the last bit which is the scumpany didn't respond to the POPLA appeal so it was allowed.

So basically it could have said

Dear POPLA,

This PCN wasn't correctly issued because the price of fish is so high.

And it still would have been allowed.
    • torontoboy45
    • By torontoboy45 18th Sep 14, 6:05 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    torontoboy45
    • 18th Sep 14, 6:05 PM
    • 18th Sep 14, 6:05 PM
    Why not read all of it? It's pretty entertaining. Everybody knows about the pub trade being in decline. The manager in this case was one desperate dude. Now he's no longer manager maybe he's found his true vocation and made a welcome addition to the toilet cleaning industry.
    • grant_uk
    • By grant_uk 18th Sep 14, 7:52 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    grant_uk
    • 18th Sep 14, 7:52 PM
    • 18th Sep 14, 7:52 PM
    Why not read all of it? It's pretty entertaining. Everybody knows about the pub trade being in decline. The manager in this case was one desperate dude. Now he's no longer manager maybe he's found his true vocation and made a welcome addition to the toilet cleaning industry.
    Originally posted by torontoboy45
    That's all very well, but it's bloomin' hard to read posts that are bereft of paragraphs.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 18th Sep 14, 9:08 PM
    • 14,798 Posts
    • 13,461 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 18th Sep 14, 9:08 PM
    • 18th Sep 14, 9:08 PM
    That's all very well, but it's bloomin' hard to read posts that are bereft of paragraphs.
    Originally posted by grant_uk
    Bingo!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Sep 14, 6:32 PM
    • 47,074 Posts
    • 60,440 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 21st Sep 14, 6:32 PM
    • 21st Sep 14, 6:32 PM
    Here we go - a corrected, readable version, naming and shaming the pub for allowing the scam:

Hi all
    In April of this year i parked in a pub car park in Lytham which was about 100 yards from a playground where i was taking my grandson.

Four weeks later i received a parking charge notice for £100 on the notice it had a photo of my car with a white sign on the left side, also about 100 yards away. The picture showed my car on its own in a car park that could hold at least 60 cars.

I live in liverpool and visit my daughter in Lytham on a regular basis so after a week on receiving this notice i went around to the car park to see why i had missed all these signs, and would you believe it the sign that was included in with my car was completely covered by bushes and turned around the oposite way.

I read the notice and it was operated by CPM (uk car park management). It stated to park there was for the sole use of patrons of the public house and you needed a permit. It did not say where or how you got this permit, so i assumed you went into the pub, which I had also done on that day. At no time on either visit was I asked by the pub personnel ''did i have a permit?''.

This time, after a shandy, I went out into the car park and observed two guys (dressed in very similar clothing to car park attendants) sitting close to where i had parked in April. To me, these guys were waiting for people to park, then they would swoop and take a photo then they would get back in their van. I must mention, they did not put a penalty notice on your car - you got that through the post.

I stayed in that car park for 30 minutes and asked 7 people if they had permits. They were shocked to hear that they even needed one and duly left the car park, whereupon the two guys left also because they knew what I was up to!

I sent an appeal off to CPM and they duly sent back a reply stating that i was unuccessful in my appeal, on the grounds that permits were only given to patrons of the public house and i did not have one displayed. Well, being a scouser, this to me was clearly a scam i.e. the notice only pointing in the right direction when a picture is taken then turned away so you can't see it (that noticeboard saying you need a permit but not telling you were to get it).

I asked for the number of POPLA so i could appeal to them. This is when they try to put pressure on you to pay the £100 they said this is their final decision and if i was unsuccessful with POPLA i would lose the right to pay the fine at the reduced rate and i could be liable for recovery cost and court costs.

I thought about it for 2 seconds and said ''no i am going all the way no matter what the cost'' even if the £100 charged went to £600 at least. I tried - well i presented all the pictures i had of the signs to POPLA and waited.
    In the mean time i went around to the pub which was the HOLE IN ONE in Lytham (named and shamed) and i couldn't believe my eyes. All the signs had been taken down! I asked why they had been taken down and was told the last manager was making no money in the pub so it looked likethis was a way of making money.

The conclusion of my appeal was that i won on the grounds stated below:

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued
    incorrectly. The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
    Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.
    Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor

So my advice to anyone receiving these so called parking fines is fight them every time
    Originally posted by matty mower
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 23-09-2014 at 1:31 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,851Posts Today

7,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin