Watching a Theatre performance in a Cinema

Options
Has anyone ever done this?

There's a couple of plays that are being 'screened' that I wouldn't mind seeing but wondered if the view (if that's the right word!) is worth it

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, I have taken my kids to see a few cinema screenings, I would say it's well worth it. Although obviously not the same as being in the actual theatre, the plus sides for me were:

View- unless buying top price to see it live the view is better in the cinema

Price - much cheaper, especially as I have a family of 5

Distance- although we are on a tube line it's still much quicker and easier to get to the cinema, so for example we can go on a school/college night.

Choice-I suppose this also comes under price , but we can go and see stuff we might like as it's so much cheaper, if I was paying to see live I may not go if I was not sure id like it.

We have been to encore showings and live showings and the Cinema does feel different , almost always sold out and people are much quiter than usual, ie. as if they were in the theatre not cinema if that makes sense :)

Give it a go, we are off to see Frankenstein again next month :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Thanks for that.

Living far far away from London it certain would be cheaper than going to the Theatre!

I saw a couple of things that tickled my fancy (including Frankenstien!) so I might just book up - if I don't like it then I don't need to go again!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No worries, I would say though if you are wanting to see benedict cumberbatch then go for the screening where he plays "creature" we saw him playing doctor Frankenstein last year as that's the only tickets we could get and he was not in it nearly as much as johnny lee miller :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,841 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I go a lot - I've been to most of the NT Live and RSC productions in recent years. They are really good value for money and very well done - they have a number of cameras etc that they cut between so you get very good views, close ups etc- it's not just one camera pointing at the whole stage.

I've had one occasion (Coriolanus) where the cinema messed up and didn't have it set up correctly, so we missed the start of the performance (we got a refund and a free ticket which I used for the encore performance) and there was a worrying moment during Medea last week where it looked like the signal was going to break up for a second, but in general they are very good and I'd highly recommend them.

We've seen both versions of Frankenstein and both are very good - for me the version with JLM as the Creature edged it, but in my opinion if you can afford it it's well worth going to see both versions as each actor brings something different to the two roles.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    ...they have a number of cameras etc that they cut between so you get very good views, close ups etc- it's not just one camera pointing at the whole stage...
    That's useful to know. I was wondering if it was just from a fixed position, just to give the "sitting in the theatre" effect.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    That's useful to know. I was wondering if it was just from a fixed position, just to give the "sitting in the theatre" effect.

Quite the opposite - the show is filmed with multiple cameras and you get the best seats in the house!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Btw There's the Billy Elliott one on 28th Sept.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    You can also check with your local cinema if they're doing an 'encore' (second, repeat) screening of the same stream? If they are, it's often cheaper.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone got any more info on which cinemas are doing Billy Elliott on 28th? Online info on cinemas is not working. How much would the tickets be? and which cinemas?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,841 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    kalsha wrote: »
    Anyone got any more info on which cinemas are doing Billy Elliott on 28th? Online info on cinemas is not working. How much would the tickets be? and which cinemas?

The Vue cinemas showing it can be seen in the drop down box halfway down the page here;
    http://www.myvue.com/latest-movies/info/film/billy-elliot-the-musical-live

I can't get the Odeon link up at the moment but if you google 'Odeon Billy Elliot' you should get straight to the relevant page that will also show you their cinemas showing it.

Note that the live performance is the matinee at 14:00, but there is also a showing of the recorded performance the same evening (not all cinemas may have both showings).

The price will probably depend on the particular cinema - at my local Vue the price is £12.50 for an adult, or £14.25 for the premier seats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure