IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket from 2 years ago.

Options
Hi,
2 years ago I parked in my mums parking space at her flats. Shed only moved there recently. I didnt know I had to put a parking permit in my car. When I returned to my car I had a ticket from UKPC for 'parking without a valid permit'.
Over the last 2 years Ive had letters from several different companies trying to make me pay which Ive ignored and binned. Today Ive received another 1 from Small Calims Solicitors or Debt Recovery Plus. Ive looked at the threads of what to do but find them quite confusing. It seems I need to go to POPLA but am I too late?
What should I do to stop this?
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 September 2014 at 12:41PM
    Options
    too late, plus didnt quite exist 2 years ago as it started in oct 2012 due to POFA 2012

what you failed to read was the debt collector section of the NEWBIES sticky thread at the top of this forum, tells you everything you need to know, including ignoring debt collectors and their letters (for up to 6 years - so you are a third of the way through it)

now read this and any links within it please

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Just ignore them like what you've been doing already, if they had case this would have done court already, they are just trying to intimidate you into paying. It's not likely to go court as there was no keeper liability 2 years ago, unless it was after October 2012.

This UKPC generally they do not do court, so unless you get a court claim just ignore the scam and file all letters and the envelopes they came in if they are dated or franked.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • minniemoo
    Options
    They seem to be sending out a new batch of them, as I received another 'love letter' from them this morning. Initially I didn't do POPLA as the incident happened just around the time the law changed and no one was sure what would happen. By the time it became clear that PPCs were taking people to court, it was too late for me. I sent them a letter (helped by Daisy) with a few additions of my own, but obviously they didn't read it. I just filed the latest piece of loo roll received today. In any case I paid the cost of parking and sent them evidence of payment, so they can go whistle.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2014 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Hi,
    2 years ago I parked in my mums parking space at her flats. Shed only moved there recently. I didnt know I had to put a parking permit in my car. When I returned to my car I had a ticket from UKPC for 'parking without a valid permit'.
    Over the last 2 years Ive had letters from several different companies trying to make me pay which Ive ignored and binned. Today Ive received another 1 from Small Calims Solicitors or Debt Recovery Plus. Ive looked at the threads of what to do but find them quite confusing. It seems I need to go to POPLA but am I too late?
    What should I do to stop this?
    Thanks for any help.
    Why would you think you need to 'stop' the letter chain (or that you can)? It's just junk mail. Most PPCs never do court and that includes UKPC except on vey RARE occasions. I know of one UKPC case where the person got a SCS letter and then did get a Northampton Claim - theirs was different as it was multiple tickets totalling a four figure sum, and no doubt UKPC were deluded by the smell of possible money and are trying their luck (that poster has found the help they need, I understand!).

But mostly this is just another debt collector letter so you can ignore it. A debt collector cannot litigate so if UKPC select your little tiny single PCN for a small claim they'd have to pay LPC Law to deal with it, at a cost. Highly unlikely and very defendable!

Keep all letters just in case. UKPC court claims really are as rare as hen's teeth and the one I mentioned was different due to the amount. And it's the only case I can think of from UKPC as well. I would say that UKPC have paid SCS a couple of quid per case for a job lot of letters to be sent out to victims to see how many idiots pay.

Was your PCN date before or after 1st October 2012 when keeper liability started (not that it means you are liable!!)?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • newreclaimer
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks to all that have replied, you've set our minds at rest. I'll just keep ignoring them.
    The PCN was dated 21st sept 2012 so just before POPLA started apparently.
    Thanks again.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2014 at 8:37PM
    Options
    No just before POFA 2012 - the law which they might have relied upon if they were trying to pin this on you, as registered keeper. POPLA (the appeals service) is irrelevant. Whatever you do, don't ignore real court papers if they arrive (highly unlikely, and defendable, but NOT to be ignored!).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fil_cad
    fil_cad Posts: 834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The pulp the send through the post will make good emergency bogg paper, one never knows when you could get caught short, and if you have a pet mouse or hampster the pulp shredded makes them a lovely warm bed.
    PPCs say its carpark management, BPA say its raising standards..... we all know its just about raking in the revenue. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure