IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN Notice from Vehicle Control Services Ltd

Options
Hello everyone,

A newbie like most people here, I could do with a bit of advice.

I rented an apartment in Sheffield for a week at the end of July. The property has an underground car park that require a keycode to get in. The agent has charged me for a parking space during my stay and has told me about displaying the badge on the dashboard when I parked my car.

I must have either forgotten to display or the badge has slipped from my dashboard one evening, so I got a PCN from Vehcile Control Service on 1st Aug for £100. Obviously very annoyed and have complained to the agent but their answer was to ignore them as they may just go away.

Reading all the posts from the forum so far, the best advice has been to ignore them until they sent me the 'Notice to Keeper' on the post. I still haven't receive anything so far, should I sit tight and wait for their move? I know other people have similar experience but I couldn't find a thread dealing with Vehicle Control Services. Any wise words are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

quadra660av

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless this was a hire/lease car the advice is to wait for the NTK, then appeal using the template letter from the NEWBIES thread. This will be rejected but the PPC must provide a PoPLA code which you then use to make a second appeal and win. DO NOT IGNORE a PCN. That is very bad advice. You should also complain long and loud to the agent and demand they cancel the PCN as they are the principle and the PPC is their agent.

If your first appeal is rejected, there are plenty of PoPLA examples in the How To Win At PoPLA section that you could use; they don't have to be for VCS.

So, read the NEWBIES thread whilst you wait to see if you get a NTK but complain to the agent in the meantime.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Follow Fruitcake's advice, await the NtK, appeal and get your POPLA code, draft your appeal and show us, we'll guide you on this, submit to POPLA and await your 'win'.

Just one point:
    I know other people have similar experience but I couldn't find a thread dealing with Vehicle Control Services.

There are zillions of threads here about VCS. After ParkingEye they are probably the most discussed PPC on the forum.

Have you used the forum's search facility? Using a forum's search engine is the way to get maximum benefit from the forum.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • quadra660av
    Options
    Hi Friuitcake / Umkomaas,

Thanks for your reply. I will wait and see if VCS will send a NtK.

Umkomaas, indeed you are right about VCS, it is just me being daft / stupid to think the thread will title with 'Vehicle Control Service', will check out all the relevant posts now.

Thanks.
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Also if you click through the link in post 3 for the how to win at POPLA, which is the second stage appeal you will probably have to follow, then you will see several examples of VCS POPLA appeals to ise as drafts for your own when you get the inevitable rejection of your first appeal.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • quadra660av
    Options
    The NtK notice arrived yesterday and have sent my first appeal letter, using the template letter via email this morning. Will wait and see what they will do. Judging by what other people said here, they will reject my first appeal.

Will keep people in this forum posted.
  • quadra660av
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am still waiting for VCS to reply to me after my soft appeal. It is not 35 days since my appeal, which is what they said will give me an answer. Is it worth sending them an email say after 28 days to remind them to either cancel my 'Invoice' or send me an appeal code?

I also noticed that VCS has now joined the IPC appeal process, whereas my NtK clearly stated that they are a member of the BPA and if my initial appeal is unsuccessful, I will have the option to appeal to POPLA. Clearly it seems the POPLA route is easier to win, but I wondered where I stand in terms of my eventual appeal, will it be with POPLA or IAS?

Many thanks for all the MSE people contributing to the forum, have been following the forum daily and it is fascinating read.

Thanks.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No don't chase yet - and worry ye not, your case stays with the BPA & POPLA as the 'parking event' pre-dates the move to the IPC.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • quadra660av
    Options
    Thanks Coupon-mad, so the strategy is just wait for them to reply, even after the 35 days that they stated will have a reply to me?

Have read from other posts that PPC may later claimed they have sent the letter within the timeframe but the Keeper failed to reply. Am I thinking too much into this and should just sit tight and see what happen? As you can imagined, I just want to get the POPLA code and get it over and done with, given the track record of POPLA appeal from the Forum.

Thanks again people for their input.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could email the BPA to complain that VCS have not responded within 35 days, and you've read they have just moved to the IPC so you require the BPA to investigate and to ensure VCS issue a POPLA code anyway (which they have to).

BPA email addy is in the Newbies thread, post #6 about complaints.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • EnigmaPart1
    Options
    VCS/Excel really do stretch it to the 35th day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure