IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

OK What do I do now?

Options
Hello forum. I'm wondering what my next step should be. On the 4th July I parked in a retail park's car park run by UKPC. On returning to my car, I had a ticket on the windscreen which said I had broken the T&Cs, namely, I had left the site (which I did for about 15 mins). I didn't know I wasn't allowed to. Parking is normally free.

I waited for the NTK to arrive (dated 5th August), and wrote back on the 20th August using the template on the newbie page (I got proof of posting). Today (26th August) I've received a Final Reminder - two actually, they sent it twice!

My question is this: have the letters crossed meaning I should ignore it? There's no mention of a POPLA number or anything like that; certainly no acknowledgement of my letter. Though all their correspondence has, on the back, details of how to appeal, which is what I did in the first place.

Interestingly, the car park now has a load of new signs with the "no leaving site" clause highlighted in yellow.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    they have 14 days to acknowledge the appeal and 35 days to get back to you according to the BPA guidelines

shame you havent got pictures of the previous signage
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 August 2014 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Someone else might do, Redx, if not at this one at another UKPC infested place.

Might be something they're doing on all their sites?
    #
    I went here:
    http://www.ukparkingcontrol.com/retail-parking

and see a moving banner at foot of page with client logos, from Harrods to Tesco:-)
    #
    op - can you post a pic of the new signs, for a compare and contrast exercise?
    There are plenty of experts here who love a new sign to dismember.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• touristi
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    Redx wrote: »
    they have 14 days to acknowledge the appeal and 35 days to get back to you according to the BPA guidelines
    Yes, I understand that - thing is, am I right in saying the "Final Reminder" is not their acknowledgement?
    shame you havent got pictures of the previous signage
    Yeah, clanger on my part.
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think given that it was a bank holiday your letters probably crossed in the post. It is interesting that you get barely a week from the reminder to get your appeal in if you didn't before. Sneaky!

Leave it a few weeks to see what response you get. As you have proof of posting you won't have anything to worry about.

I would check in the retail park and simply ask casually what date the signs changed. They will know. Did you shop there as well? If so complain to the retailers about the PCN and demand a cancellation.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • touristi
    Options
    Yes Dee, I did shop there but didn't take a receipt. Good idea about asking them about the signs.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    if you didnt use cash then it will be on a bank statement

the first task to do with any parking invoice is complain to the landowner and get it cancelled , nothing is of more importance than that simple bit of advice (which it tells you in the newbies sticky thread)
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Every transaction on debit or credit card receipts have a unique reference so provided you paid by card you will have evidence. And yes, new signs are good to see. It will be interesting to see how they forbid leaving the site!

If the shop you went to has a good till system they could in theory trace your transaction anyway. You could pop in and ask for a copy of the receipt if it is possible!

New signs were actually going up in my local Lidl today but it was a bit too obvious to go and stand next to them as they were putting them up, so I will pop on tomorrow just for fun!
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • touristi
    Options
    Nah, paid with cash. I only bought a bag of cat litter, then I went to Asda which is adjacent, but not part of the same retail park. Theirs is council-run pay and display. I was only going to park in one car park - guess which one I chose <g>
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    Options
    touristi wrote: »
    Interestingly, the car park now has a load of new signs with the "no leaving site" clause highlighted in yellow.
    Still completely meaningless, though, and totally unenforceable in law, since there is no definition of what the "site" is. How is anyone meant to know if it's not clearly indicated?
  • touristi
    Options
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought you'd all like to know that UKPC folded!

After getting an a 35-day acknowledgement last week, I sat tight. Then I got a letter from them today saying sorry for any distress and the charge was cancelled.

So I'm a happy bunny, thanks to this site :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure