PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fed Up With Picky Kids

Options
Firstly, I AM SICK OF MY KIDS NOT EATING A PROPER MEAL :mad:

Right, got that out of the way, sorry about that.

Frankly I'm at my wits end trying to cook something decent that my kids will actually eat. I'm not a great cook at the best of times and seriously lack the will to keep trying when everything gets thrown back in my face. They are only little, (just 4 and almost 2), but I really don't want to get bad habits ingrained. They will happily eat frozen things with potatoes and vegetables, but most 'real' food is usually rejected after a few bites. The only scratch cooked things I can think of that they'll eat are cottage pie, fish pie and chilli con carne.

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Persist!!!

They are toddlers, they do as they are told and you are the grown up who is in charge of their health and wellbeing!!

They eat or go hungry, if they moan they are hungry later give them their dinner back!

I have never catered for whims! We have days when I am busy they are fed freezer crap.. potato mush, sausages/dippers/fish fingers with veg/tinned spaghetti/beans.. the rest of the time I poison them with veggies and meat and pasta and heaven forbid, rice!! lol... they eat or go hungry, right down to my 2 y/o.

I will cater for true dislikes .. eg.. some get baked beans some get spaghetti, DS3 gets pasta without sauce because he hates it.. I'm not incredibly mean but I will not cook separate meals for the children to myself and I will cook what I want..

Just keep serving it up and praise what they do eat and if they choose to go hungry they won't fade away over night!

We have a rule that everything must be tasted.. that includes myself.. even OH!!

Cook what you want.. and don't let it become a battle. offer praise and bribes as a reward for trying something new. Finger food stuff is usually more readily accepted, strips of chicken, meatballs mine LOVE, raw veg if they don't like it cooked is much healthier and more interesting.

Just stick with it and they will start eating it, be firm and patient... no resorting to toast and jam if they refuse proper food!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LizD wrote: »
    Firstly, I AM SICK OF MY KIDS NOT EATING A PROPER MEAL :mad:

Right, got that out of the way, sorry about that.

Frankly I'm at my wits end trying to cook something decent that my kids will actually eat. I'm not a great cook at the best of times and seriously lack the will to keep trying when everything gets thrown back in my face. They are only little, (just 4 and almost 2), but I really don't want to get bad habits ingrained. They will happily eat frozen things with potatoes and vegetables, but most 'real' food is usually rejected after a few bites. The only scratch cooked things I can think of that they'll eat are cottage pie, fish pie and chilli con carne.

4 and 2? If only there was a responsible adult in the house eh?

If your giving in to them at that age you are in for a whole world of problems when teenage hormones kick in.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh what we'd give to have a NT kid who will eat real food - frozen or homemade - instead of one particular brand and flavour of baby puree;)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think also look at portion sizes. They don't need huge amounts. My DD eats like a bird (unless bacon or steak is on the menu!!!) and since I am overweight I figure she knows more about what amounts she needs than I do. Too much on her plate outfaces her.

But yes, cook what you are cooking and if they are hungry enough they will eat it.

I also have the taste rule, not allowed to say we don't like something without tasting. Within reason lol. We don't do snails and frogs legs ;)

Most of all - let it go over your head, they can smell the fear, lol
    X
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Mummy+2
    Mummy+2 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I know the feeling! I went through it last year with my then 4 year old and I'm just starting the battle again with my 20 month old! Persistence really is the key, they get what they are given and nothing else. They soon learn and going a little hungry for a night or 2 really won't do any harm.

We have a kids choice night where my 5 year old gets to pick what we have, I also let her serve the meals up where possible during the rest of the week, this really helps
    LBM - DFW Jan 2010
    Debt 1 13680/15000 -- Debt 2 0/4800
    Weight loss 23.5/76lbs
    NSD 2014 5/30 -- Savings 2014 2130/4260
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge #173 - £8.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #395
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If they'll eat 'freezer foods' make your own, cheat a bit. Make your own burgers with good lean minced steak, make your own fish fingers with skinless boneless fish fillets, make chicken dippers with fresh chicken breasts, even make up home made frozen 'ready meals' and if they see them come out of the freezer they won't immediately say I don't like it!!! Make food fun, little pizzas on half rolls made into faces, my girls loved eggy breads with ketchup faces on them for breakfast make rice pudding and pop some sultanas or chopped prunes in before it's cooked, make chocolate rice pud with cocoa in the milk. Make fruit smoothies and call them milkshakes, make the smoothies into ice lollies for healthy snacks in the summer. If they like pasta you can hide lots of extra veg in a homemade tomato sauce and blitz them out of sight. They will stop being so fussy as they get older if you don't make mealtimes into dramas and don't force them to see food as a negociating point. Would you let them help with the preparation of the food, that might encourage them to try meals they helped make, even, if you have room in the garden let them grow simple things like lettuce, it's amazing how they'll try things they've grown even mustard and cress on the windowsill is good fun. Hope you can find a way to engage them, it will make life so much easier all round.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I should say there are 2 options at tea-time - take it or leave it and go hungry. DS1 knows the rule and DS2 will learn in time (evil mummy :D ).

I think it's more about me getting fed up with making an effort for nothing! I will try some of your ideas when I have time.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    At 2 and 4yrs you are going to have to put your food down. You will find having x2 one will copy the other.

Make the dinner. Everyone up to table. Tv off. No one leaves till the last person has finnished. Offer nothing else and NO PUDDING if dinner plate is not clear.

As mine got older the saying changed to first one that wants to leave the table does the washing up.

Some food is sometimes left and use to go on the bird table.
    Now anything left goes in the dog. The sty dog lies in wait!

We are now all adults. I tend to cook more of a selection and some times say help your selt when cooked.
    A meat and sometimes veggi
    several veg and either potato, rice or pasta.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • cornishchick
    Options
    It's been suggested that a child needs to try something up to 7 times before they can truly say that don't like it. A rule we had and my BIL still has is, you try some thing new and you try it a few times .
    Also make no fuss when they refuse to eat, but give appropriate attention when they do eat.
    Small portions.. Get them involved with the cooking, even the 2 year old. Set meal times and eat together where possible,

I am a mother of two and spent 15 years working with children from age 18months upwards.
    Good luck. Deep breath and stand your ground. Lol . X
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    children don't do good with too many choices - give 2 at most, or as others have said, they eat or go hungry. i didn't have choice when i were little, and it didn't hurt me.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family