Do you know what a logbook loan is?

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 29 April 2014 at 4:42PM in Motoring
If you've ever bought a used car please take this super-quick survey (scroll down to 'take action') for Citizens Advice.

It's pushing for more rights for consumers caught out by logbook loans - a type of credit usually attached to cars - as problems occur when a car is sold with the loan still attached, and unwitting buyers lose the lot.

Have you ever been caught out by credit still being attached to a car or is this something you'd always check before buying an old banger?
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• JustinR1979
    Options
    I first heard of these about 3 years ago when I was selling my car, bloke explained it to me and I couldn't see how they were allowed, still don't.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    If you've ever bought a used car please take this super-quick survey (scroll down to 'take action') for Citizens Advice.

Looks like the survey has been and gone.

Is there anyway of telling if a used car has one of these loans? Would an HPI check show it up? Or is it just the luck of the draw?
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • sh0597
    sh0597 Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    They need to be brought into line with other loans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure