Historic PPI Claims - any chance?

Options
I was wondering if we might have any chance at a claim for a PPI problem back in the late 1980s?

My dad took a loan out with the then Midland Bank and was basically told he had to take out the PPI, which he said he didn't want. When he was later made redundant and paid off the loan early he was made to pay the PPI for the entire loan life even though he no longer had the loan. This resulted in a huge argument with the bank and ultimately him ending his life long relationship with them.

It strikes me as this would be exactly the kind of situation that should warrant a claim, but without any paperwork is there any chance whatsoever of writing to the bank?

Any advice would be good.......

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You dad is entitled to complain to the bank. Although whether they have records is going to be the key problem.

Also, is he sure it was PPI. Bank loans with PPi include the PPI within them and are not standalone plans. So, if the loan is repaid early, the PPI ceases as well. What you describe doesn't fit that and suggests a standalone plan was used. In the 80s, the banks often insisted on life assurance as a condition of lending. These were always standalone plans. So, was it perhaps life assurance rather than PPI?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure