IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New fire for a back boiler
Closed Thread
Views: 38,966
# 1
newbie71
Old 05-07-2007, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default New fire for a back boiler

Hello all, we have a horrible dated 1980s gas fire in the new home we've moved into. It's got a back boiler behind it and when we had the gas check carried out on the house before we moved in we were advised we couldn't just buy a new gas fire to replace it as we needed to have something that was compatible with the back boiler.

I'm guessing that's virtually nothing these days as back boilers aren't put in anymore? So can anyone advise where we might be able to get a new gas fire that's a) modern and b) relatively unexpensive (!) that we can use with the back boiler?

Thank you
# 2
EliteHeat
Old 05-07-2007, 5:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not possible. If it upsets you that much, bite the bullet and scrap the back boiler for something that belongs in the 21st century.

Otherwise, enjoy the reliability, if not stylishness, of your old relic.

P.S. I've got one as well, I'm looking at it now, horrible.
# 3
Sagaris
Old 05-07-2007, 6:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had a new Baxi back boiler to replace an old one about 4 years ago - it replaced a 25 year old one! I had to have the same again as I haven't got a suitable outside wall or any other area for a condensing boiler. I got a new fire for it at the same time.
Depends on the make of boiler as to which fire will go with it - what make is yours?
Back on the weight loss wagon
RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10
# 4
newbie71
Old 05-07-2007, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello, I can't remember the make but have it written down somewhere - we're the same as you in that we don't have anywhere else sensible to put a new boiler in the house....I think I might start trawling ebay for one of those old fashioned fire screens! :rolleyes:
# 5
EliteHeat
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie71 View Post
Hello, I can't remember the make but have it written down somewhere - we're the same as you in that we don't have anywhere else sensible to put a new boiler in the house....I think I might start trawling ebay for one of those old fashioned fire screens! :rolleyes:
In England, under the high efficiency condensing boiler points-based exemption system, it is impossible to justify fitting a standard efficiency boiler anywhere other than a flat or apartment. It has been this way since 2005.

Whilst you might think that there is nowhere sensible to position a new boiler (and you will almost certainly be right) it seems that the government know better.

Only the very newish electronic versions of the Baxi Bermuda can be fitted with a range of (almost) stylish fire-fronts, but they are outrageously expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to EliteHeat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mummyof3
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

We have just moved into our very first house , have a back boiler and have one of those hiddious fires . Our finances don't stretch to a combi boiler so we have to put up with this monstrocity until we can afford a decent heating system. Anyway we had our fire checked by a Corgi man and he promptly stuck a warning sticker on the fire as it has a crack in the glass. Needing another fire my oh searched on ebay and managed to find a replacement one.
So all I can suggest is to get a 'lovely fire' but try and modernize it with the hearth, back panel and manel, but be sure to measure the dementions of the fire correctely. Hope this helps x
The Following User Says Thank You to mummyof3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
PAULTHEJACK
Old 19-07-2007, 5:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

depends on make and model of bbu, if you have a baxi, for example 551/552 there are many fire fronts available that are compatible, best one probably the vp if you have a hearth and surround or the sp if its wall mounted, they are bloody expensive to buy new but are available second hand as they need to be taken out/ shut off if the back boiler is decommisioned to fit a combi etc.
try looking in the free ads or e bay etc.
hope this helps, paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to PAULTHEJACK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
JustinEvs
Old 16-09-2007, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi. I recently had a replacement back boiler installed.
is it neccessary to have a gas fire installed and attached to the boiler, or can i box in the fireplace without a fire?
# 9
EliteHeat
Old 16-09-2007, 6:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinEvs View Post
Hi. I recently had a replacement back boiler installed.
is it neccessary to have a gas fire installed and attached to the boiler, or can i box in the fireplace without a fire?
No, the fire must stay in place. It forms part of the flue system and you will stand a good chance of dying if you remove it!
# 10
jayne just learning
Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cost of the back boiler

Those of you who are in the know / have replaced a back boiler, can you give me any idea on cost? I'm moving into a house with one and have been researching the subject. I think I would qualify on the points basis to be able to replace it but I can only find prices on the net for the firefronts not the actual boiler itself. Any idea on labour cost would be great too!

I'm also a little concerned on perfomance. It's an average size 3 bed house with lounge, kitchen and dining room. Can the boiler cope with 7/8 radiators does anyone know?

Many thanks for any advice

jayne
# 11
AdrianW2
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Since this thread was started Baxi have introduced a SEDBUK A back boiler. Costs, or even availability, seem hard to get and it needs a condensate drain.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianW2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Canucklehead
Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne just learning View Post
Those of you who are in the know / have replaced a back boiler, can you give me any idea on cost? I'm moving into a house with one and have been researching the subject. I think I would qualify on the points basis to be able to replace it but I can only find prices on the net for the firefronts not the actual boiler itself. Any idea on labour cost would be great too!

I'm also a little concerned on perfomance. It's an average size 3 bed house with lounge, kitchen and dining room. Can the boiler cope with 7/8 radiators does anyone know?

jayne
Good morning: a RGI, recommended to you by a source you trust, would be best placed to advise you after conducting a site survey.

My OH has had only one property meet the exceptions criteria in 4 years since the regs changed...extremely rare in other words.

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
The Following User Says Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
EliteHeat
Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne just learning View Post

jayne
If it's a house then you will not be exempt. It is always possible to install a boiler in an alternate location. To answer you other question, it would easily cope with the demand.
The Following User Says Thank You to EliteHeat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
AdrianW2
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteHeat View Post
If it's a house then you will not be exempt. It is always possible to install a boiler in an alternate location.
Friend of mine has a terraced house with rear conservatory, so no external brick walls large enough to fit a boiler to or even attach scaffolding to. Ended up having to put the new boiler in the loft and paying for some very expensive scaffold structure. Came in at 6000 earlier this year and the roof now leaks around the flashing for the flue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianW2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread