I've Done It!! I'm Finally Mortgage-free

Options
At last, after 6 years of hard work & determination, I'm finally there! Yesterday, I made my final mortgage payment to the bank and am now officially 'mortgage-free'.

Yipppppeeeeeeeeee!!!

:j :j :j :j :j

It feels [strike]pretty[/strike] very good to finally add my own 'I've paid it off' thread after reading lots of uplifting stories on this forum over the past few years from so many of you.

A big 'Thank You' to everybody here for keeping me focused on paying it off...

INSERT BY MARTIN. TO READ THE FULL £100,000 Stoozing story scroll down to post number 8
Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
Mortgage July 2007 - £0
Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)

Comments

• LJD1_2
    LJD1_2 Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Options
    Fantastic and even more so when you see how much interest you've saved on your mortgage! Can't wait to join you.
    January budget
    Nothing left!
  • evab_2
    evab_2 Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    Options
    Thats fantastic, well done!

Cleared in just over 6 years, any tips or motivations?
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations 129000 times:beer:

Way to go!
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done you!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yayy! Well done Martinslovechild!!

There seems to have been quite a few MFWers who have become mortgage free that I thought it was time we had our own MFW Roll of Honour. I hope this wasn't too presumpious of me!!

Martinslovechild, please be the first to add your name to the list! I'll be a few years from adding mine, but I can't wait until I do!! :)

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can persuade the board monitors to make it a sticky.
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS - Its wonderful to hear that someone has been successful, one day i hope to join you!!!
  • Martinslovechild
    Martinslovechild Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Insert By Martin

First of all let me state for the record. Martinslovechild is no relation of mine; and I suspect he's older than me anyway! ;). Yet his story below is inspirational and worth all MoneySavers having a read of.

Hiya,

I've written this same explanation on the new 'MFW Roll Of Honour' thread (thanks Dithering Dad!).

For sake of ease, I've copied my response here also...

I decided to become a MFW in May 2001, at which point my mortgage was £129,000.

I remember thinking how much of an achievement it would be to become mortgage-free before I hit the big '40'. In 2001, my mortgage had been running for 8 years and would have 17 further years left to run.

I telephoned the bank and asked for the monthly cost of reducing the outstanding mortgage term by 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, 7 years & 10 years respectively. I can't remember the actual figures quoted but I do remember that reducing the mortgage by 10 years cost an extra £435 per month; this was the option we decided to go for based on a budget I'd done, which determined that we could afford regular overpayments of about £500. This immediately reduced the term to 7 years, which was very good news!!

I was tied into a mortgage deal at the time which didn't allow overpayments (but bizarrely allowed me to reduce the term thereby having the same effect). There were of course penalties for making any overpayments during the discount term which would last until February 2003.

In February 2003, I immediately applied for a more flexible mortgage with a different lender which would allow overpayments, underpayments & drawdowns. Again, during the initial period (through to October 2004), I was restricted to making overpayments which were no more than 10% of the outstanding mortgage per annum.

Around mid-2003, I discovered 'stoozing'; as I would discover, this was to play a very big part in my clearing the mortgage. In 2003, I applied for my first 0% card and discovered just how easy it was to move the borrowed money into my current account, from where I used it to first clear my wife's car loan (remember, I couldn't overpay the mortgage by more than 10% at this time). Once my wife's car loan was fully on 0% (this took 3 credit cards in both mine & my wife's names), I applied for further 0% cards to clear my own car loan. I then ensured that I paid the full 10% mortgage overpayment by borrowing even more cash, all of it at 0%.

In fact, once the cars were on 0% and I'd repaid the 10% on the mortgage, I decided to keep going - I maxed out on an increasing number of 0% cards. During 2004, I continued to borrow on 0% cards. In fact, when the 10% overpayment restriction eventually expired on the 1st November 2004, I immediately overpaid an amount totalling £51,500 into my mortgage overpayment fund!! At this point, my outstanding mortgage balance fell to just £6,500 - in other words, I was paying just £58 per month in mortgage interest, compared to the £326 that I should have been paying!! I was saving £268 a month in interest and an extra £3216 was being paid off my mortgage each year as a result of 0% cards!!

I eventually accrued a stoozing pot of over £100,000. This was in addition to my wife's pot of £37,000. This was quite staggering as my earnings are nothing like this amount. Since the stooz pot hit this amount, it got progressively more difficult to maintain this level, so it was fortunate that as time went on and I was unable to replace some credit cards with fee-free 0% cards, I was in the lucky position of not having to do so, as I was clearing the mortgage pretty quickly and the outstanding balance was reducing at a fair rate of knots meaning that I didn't need access to so much 0% credit. Today, the level of my stoozing pot is less than half of its maximum - mainly because fee-free 0% cards are a thing of the past, but also because the mortgage is gone - I suppose that I was simply a lucky benefactor of cheap credit being made available very easily to me during the time that I wanted to make the greatest impact in cleaing my mortgage.

As for perls of wisdoms, I simply set myself a target and stuck to it. I designed a realistic budget which still allows me to fund purchases of CDs and meals out. I ensured that if I overspent in any one month, I would need to underspend the following month (or apply for another 0% card ;)).

The most important thing of all is to stay totally focused. It doesn't matter whether your target is 1 year, 10 years or 20 years. It can be done. Just stick to your goals.

Good Luck!!
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At last, after 6 years of hard work & determination, I'm finally there! Yesterday, I made my final mortgage payment to the bank and am now officially 'mortgage-free'.

quote]
    Well done! Congratulations, what a wonderful feeling for you: :beer:
  • MKUX3
    MKUX3 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    very well done indeed.

we paid off our £ 33K mortage (house was built for 76K- the rest we paid from our savings) and thus took out a 32K mortgage bout 8 years ago when i was 29 and hubby 31. we have had a mortage for about 7/8 years in total. cashed in the endowment as we werent going to need it in the future.
    got another house built for 215K and paid for that so all in all i think we have saved quite an amount in interest. i do manage to have lots of treat without feeling quilty.
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    Thank You all very much for your kind comments.

I meant to say earlier that one of the most important things that spurred me on to clear my mortgage was when I discovered that the literal translation of mortgage is death pledge (see my signature below).

The idea of paying a mortgage well into my retirement certainly played on my mind until I finally decided to do something about it. That's when I asked myself the following question - 'why does the term have to be 25 years - why can't it be 20 years, or 7 years, or however long I want it to be? In fact, why can't I look into it and do something about it?'.

Ask yourself the same question. If it causes even one person to change the way they think about their own mortgage, then i'll be a happier man for it.
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure