We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you find it difficult to read, write or do sums (or work with adults who do)?

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 11 March 2014 at 12:25PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
A group of MPs are looking at how the government should help teach adults maths, reading and writing.

It wants to hear from people who would like to increase their skills and from groups who provide courses. Send your thoughts in writing or video by 25 March.

Find more information on the Parliament website.

Learners
  • How has finding it difficult to read, write or do sums affected you in your life?
  • Do you feel supported if you want to increase your skills?

Providers
  • Do you have effective support from the government?
  • What are the best ways to help adults learn how to read, write and do maths - through formal education or in a different way?

How good is your everyday maths?
The National Numeracy Challenge will help you find out and give you tips on how to top up your skills.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner][/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I just did the numeracy challenge and scored 98/100. That wasn't a massive surprise, as maths was my best subject many years ago when I was at school, but I thought some of the questions were quite challenging and you had to make sure you read the question and understood it correctly.

The only thing I found disappointing about it was that it didn't tell me which question(s) I got wrong.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    Are they proposing to open the The Derek Zoolander Institute For Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too?
  • Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    Scored 100/100. None of the questions were particularly difficult and a calculator only used to save time and as on a pc (could have done all of it on paper without a calculator).

The summary section tells me this is equivalent to A*-C grade GSCE.. why not include harder questions then to give equivalent A-Level grades as all children are now forced to stay in education until 18?
  • RandomRainy
    Options
    I'm struggling to get a new job as I have a D in Maths. I have taken GCSE Maths 3 times and have achieved a D each time. Have I hit the pinnacle of what I can actually achieve? :(
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    I'm struggling to get a new job as I have a D in Maths. I have taken GCSE Maths 3 times and have achieved a D each time. Have I hit the pinnacle of what I can actually achieve? :(

Not everyone can become particularly talented in maths, but most people of reasonable intelligence should be able to get their head around the basics OK. Is your maths ability out of line with how you've managed in other academic subjects? If so, you maybe need to try a different teacher, or learning method.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    I had a better grasp of english than I ever had of maths, many of my jobs have not require maths as a necessary skill.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't they do what they usually have done and throw millions in the direction of Learndirect.
  • IainHL
    IainHL Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only thing I found disappointing about it was that it didn't tell me which question(s) I got wrong.
    Quite. I surprised myself by only getting 95/100, and would love to know what I got wrong. For instance did it not like me expressing 15% as 3/20, did it want me to say 15/100?
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have dyscalculia and I struggled to get past the first few questions. I managed to pass my level 2 Maths recently but only with a lot of help- I've always struggled with Maths- I'm ok with basic calculations but anything more complicated and I'm stuck.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having got a B at GCSE (albeit 25 years ago) and having a degree that had a maths component, I've never considered I had a problem with Maths. I deal with Insurance - premiums, tax, increase % on a daily basis, and have to work out rates based on midterm changes, foreign taxes etc, so think I'm actually not too bad.

I did the challenge on my phone quickly (and fairly distractedly) last night and got 66/100. To find that I only had a basic graps of maths was quite worrying. So I retook in work this morning and I got 93/100. Which is still only Grades G-D of GCSE.

Scary that you have to get over 95% to get a pass at GCSE level.

Would have been nice to know where I went wrong.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport