IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC Information

Options
The Management company who looks after the freehold of the flat where I rent are starting a UKPC enforced parking scheme.
They sent a letter round and said new permits will be issued within the next couple of weeks. They said they will send the permits directly to the landlord.
I am a bit worried that there will be a !!!!-up with the issuing of new permits.
The management company said in their letter that they cannot deal with parking issues with UKPC.
If there is a problem, would I have to go through the process stated above or would it be more simple as I am a resident?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    engakuis wrote: »
    The Management company who looks after the freehold of the flat where I rent are starting a UKPC enforced parking scheme.
    They sent a letter round and said new permits will be issued within the next couple of weeks. They said they will send the permits directly to the landlord.
    I am a bit worried that there will be a !!!!-up with the issuing of new permits.
    The management company said in their letter that they cannot deal with parking issues with UKPC.
    If there is a problem, would I have to go through the process stated above or would it be more simple as I am a resident?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Could you please start your own thread instead of tagging onto to this one?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The two posts above have been moved out of the newbies sticky thread :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

If you get a ticket it's simple to appeal. No it would not be easier as a resident. But appealing and beating UKPC at POPLA is simple. Read the sticky thread, top of the forum, where the first appeal is written for you and the second appeal 'POPLA' is also linked in examples of how to win. At appeal & POPLA stage you DO NOT talk about the permit unless you like losing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    engakuis wrote: »

Then the managing agents are lying. They've employed these scammers so THEY are responsible.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the management company employed UKPC then they can deal with them, and would be the only people who can.

It might be that the freeholder has employed them, circumventing the management company, in which case the freeholder is the one who has responsibility. If this is the case it may still be worth approaching the management company and just asking whether they can find out who has authorised UKPC to operate on the land they manage as they must have an interest in what happens on properties they manage. They must also have a way for their vehicles (or those of anyone doing work on their behalf) to avoid receiving PCN's.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Might this not be a good time to get the residents motivated and knock this on the head now.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to write to the management agents to enquire how they propose to deal with permits for tenants who will not be on their mailing lists as they are not landlords.

Will there be a grace period from issue of permits to scheme starting to enable logistics of landlord getting permits to tenants. What about visitor permits?

After that, there is no difference between this and other such parking areas.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2014 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Here is a copy of a letter to the CEO of a Housing Association who are landlords of a complex where I own an investment property. Please feel free to use it in whole or in part.

All[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]owme to introduce myself, I am the new owner of 123 xxxxxxx Court. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I was surprised to see that TVHA, a registered charity, employ former clampers, UKPC, to manage the car park at xxxxxxt.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]You may or may not be aware that this company is one of a number of similar private parking companies who use underhand, threatening, and often unlawful methods to bully, threaten and lie to extract extortionate sums of money from people, many of whom can ill afford it, for minor alleged breaches of non existent contracts. In somecases even for parking in their own demised property but failing to display a “parking permit”, despite the fact that they are entitled to “quiet enjoyment” of their properties. Also, are the PPC allowed to conduct trade in the car park? Are business rates applicable?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Fora few minutes overstay in a free car park in a shopping centre, wher ethere has been no loss to anyone, they will demand up to a hundred pounds in penalties, contrary to the Law of Contract. They use legalise, threats, and scary letters from dodgy solicitors, debt collectors and bailiffs. They try to pass themselves off as police or councils, sending out fake court summonses, produce false statements from witnesses and take people to the County Court[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]. [/FONT]
    Another [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]company, Parking Eye have issued over 7,000 summonses in the last 12months, although they rarely actually reach court as they know that they will lose most of them. However, according to an F.O.I. request, UKPC have not taken a single person to court in the last 12months. Could this be that they know that they have no case? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Your contractor UKPC was I believe a former clamper called Denver Security Services, and is one of the more aggressive private parking companies. So much so that in September 2011 Hull Trading Standards decided to take them to Hull Crown Court on 16 counts,unfortunately they lost 15 of these charges on technicalities. However, they were so concerned about this company's tactics that they were willing to commit £41,000 of tax payers' money to prosecute them. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Many of these companies will take people to court, even when parked in their own demised property. This can result in whoever signed the contract with them, (i.e. the managing agents and/or the Landowners being themselves taken to court by successful defendants for damages for trespass, stress, and harassment, (see R. Davey v UKPC, Winchester Crown Court 23rd January 2013).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I am not a lawyer, but I have read the current signs in xxxxxxxtand it would appear that, from the words “failure to comply ...” they are alleging breach of contract. How can people be breaching a contract they are not party to?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To sum up[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]These companies are vultures, preying on the ignorant and vulnerable. They are not interested in the management of car parks for the benefits of residents, but fining them for minor breaches of meaningless terms and conditions, and as a registered charity you should not be an accomplice in their near criminal activities. Unless they own the land they have no power to enter into contracts with owners ,landlords and tenants of xxxxxxxx Court.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Towin a case for trespass they have to prove loss to the landowner. If the landowner is also the person they are pursuing, there can beno loss.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Unlessyou have granted it, UKPC has no authority to take cases to court.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Theyhave no legal authority to issue fines, only the Police, Councils,Tfl, and some airports and TOCs can do that.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Theirso called Parking charges are merely speculative invoices, and theirclaims for breach are in fact unenforceable penalties.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Havingread this, I am sure that you will wish to hrelieve your tenants, many ofwhom do not have a great deal of money, of this worry, and immediately disassociateyourself from this company. [/FONT]

Please excuse errors, copied from Word
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure