Transferring personal plates to new car-delay?

Options
Doc_N
Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
V778 transfer document for personal plates (currently on retention) recently posted to dealer supplying new car.

Does anyone know how long it takes to assign the old number to the new car?

Does the dealer have the ability to do this quickly, or does there have to be any kind of written exchange between dealer and DVLA which might delay things?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you say new, do you mean brand new or new to you?
    If it's brand new then there is no delay as long as the dealer has the relevant papers, if it's a previously owned car, then there maybe as some dealers don't want the 'agro'of doing the extra paperwork.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    When you say new, do you mean brand new or new to you?
    If it's brand new then there is no delay as long as the dealer has the relevant papers, if it's a previously owned car, then there maybe as some dealers don't want the 'agro'of doing the extra paperwork.
    Thanks - brand new. Just concerned that there might be a delay in picking it up now that local DVLA offices have been closed.

If the dealer has physically to get the V778 to Swansea there's going to be a problem, but maybe that's not necessary for a dealer to be able to register the car with the personal plates?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Thanks - brand new. Just concerned that there might be a delay in picking it up now that local DVLA offices have been closed.

If the dealer has physically to get the V778 to Swansea there's going to be a problem, but maybe that's not necessary for a dealer to be able to register the car with the personal plates?

I picked up a brand new car in October, I had sent in the papers in time for the dealer to register the car with my reg, it makes no odds at that stage as they either allocate your own reg or get one allocated by the dvla, the ved disc and V5 are sent through the post from the DVLA.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    V778 transfer document for personal plates (currently on retention) recently posted to dealer supplying new car.

Does anyone know how long it takes to assign the old number to the new car?

Does the dealer have the ability to do this quickly, or does there have to be any kind of written exchange between dealer and DVLA which might delay things?

in the good old days you could take the V778 to your local DVLA office and it would be done on the day, now that all the DVLA have closed all the local offices all the paper work has to go by snail mail to Swansea and then you are at their mercy

this time of year is a bad time of year and you may experience further delays due to the beginning of march being new car registration month
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    force_ten wrote: »
    in the good old days you could take the V778 to your local DVLA office and it would be done on the day, now that all the DVLA have closed all the local offices all the paper work has to go by snail mail to Swansea and then you are at their mercy

this time of year is a bad time of year and you may experience further delays due to the beginning of march being new car registration month

This is due to the government 'improving and streamlining' the system'.

Dealers no longer have a stock of allocated numbers, and/or the ability to write VED discs at the dealership.

And there are no longer local DVLA offices to nip round the corner to.

The result is that something that used to be done in a day takes 2 weeks.

We now have 3 busy periods of the year for registrations.

Jan, Feb, and September.

Much better than before - isn't it?
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I can now give what I hope is the definitive answer to this question, after several calls to the DVLA - though they are giving out incorrect and inconsistent advice on the point.

If you already have the V778, and hand it to the dealer supplying the (brand) new car, they will use the electronic system with DVLA, which will enable them to register the car pretty much instantly. There is no need for them to send the V778 to Swansea, so no delay at all.

DVLA have twice told me today, though, that the V778 does need to be sent to Swansea (with a 7-10 working day delay) by post. They have, however, told me three times that it doesn't. I've now had this double-checked with a manager there, and they confirm that it's electronic, but a lot of their staff don't know that.

I had no idea this was such a disputed area. It's a shame that DVLA are, as ever, so clueless and useless. Posting this in the hope that it might be of use to anyone who, like me, gets misleading information from DVLA.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had no idea this was such a disputed area. It's a shame that DVLA are, as ever, so clueless and useless. Posting this in the hope that it might be of use to anyone who, like me, gets misleading information from DVLA.

Ha ha. The DVLA's left hand has no idea at all what the right hand is doing - or ought to be doing - and it's been like that for a year now.

What you are wanting to do should be not difficult at all. It didn't use to be.

If you want to see how confusing it can really get, you should try swapping a newly purchased Northern Ireland personal plate onto a newly purchased 2nd hand UK vehicle.

You need to play games with both DVLNI Coleraine and DVLA Swansea. :(
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    This is due to the government 'improving and streamlining' the system'.

Dealers no longer have a stock of allocated numbers, and/or the ability to write VED discs at the dealership.

And there are no longer local DVLA offices to nip round the corner to.

The result is that something that used to be done in a day takes 2 weeks.

We now have 3 busy periods of the year for registrations.

Jan, Feb, and September.

Much better than before - isn't it?

This ^^^^^^

My son and I both have personalised plates. We used to go into the local office and do it in a day.

In the last 6 months we both bought new vehicles and it took 3 weeks and four and a half weeks for the DVLA's improved system to do the transfers.

The situation is so bad that the Scottish Motor Traders Assoc. is making representation to the Dept. of Transport to try to get things sorted.
  • Flying-High_2
    Options
    Just put a plate on a used car I bought. Sent all the paperwork off the v5 came back 10 days later followed by the MOT and Tax 2 days later.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure I think keeping local offices open so that people can swap their vanity plates at will is a better way of operating although I agree that DVLA ought to offer a better online service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure