IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Euro Car Parks and Debt Recovery Plus

Options
First I want to say thank you to all the people who have spared their time in responding to posts about PCN, I found it very helpful.

I would appreciate a little bit of guidance to my situation.

In late 2013 I received a PCN in the post from ECP to pay £40 then a letter to pay £70, for parking in a car park (in Wales).

Then DR+ sent a letter stating I know £130 early this year.

Then I reading the forum on PCN then sent a letter to ECP appealing on the grounds of (1) The fee is disproportionate and (2) No authority to issue invoices.

I received a response from ECP a month later rejecting my appeal and stated why. When the car was parked my actions implies I accepted the contract and rules / regulations. Also they listed the costs that made up the charge of £130, most of th the cost are fixed costs (staff salaries, IT systems, postage / printing and loss of purchase revenue to retail outlets in car park).

DR+ then issued a letter saying I can pay a reduced amount to avoid court proceedings.

I think the next steps I should take are to ask ECP for a POLPA code and state the cost ECP have stated are fixed costs, which bare no relation to a car being parked in a car park.

Appreciate any comments / help.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    all those costs are not relevant and are incurred whether or not you parked there, so not a genuine pre estimate of loss

if you appealed in the correct timescale (28 days) then when it was refused ECP should have given you a POPLA code , so check the paperwork

if no POPLA code was given then as it clearly says in the newbies thread complain to the BPA and the dvla

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

you should not have to ask for a popla code, it should be given automatically with the appeal refusal and the BPA recently reminded all PPC`s about this

so complain to the BPA and the DVLA about this, as its shoddy malpractice and not in line with the BPA CoP

you could also send a short appeal letter requesting the POPLA code to ECP if you so wish but complain to the BPA anyway, this complaint will probably get ECP to issue that all important popla code, or possibly a cancellation

ignore DR+
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    The appeal was after the period they say by the looks of things.

But euro are useless and don't issue claims, and DR+ are even worse and can't issue anything. This will not go beyond junk mail, and if it does they must send a valid notice before claim, if that happens come back here
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2014 at 10:07PM
    Options
    You seem to have appealed too late for a POPLA code to be forthcoming (if you appealed later than 28 days after the PCN). It was worth a try and is better to have rebutted the fake PCN than ignored it just in case ECP one day decide to put a toe in the water of small claims! So now you must just do what people did for years before POPLA existed (me included, my first ignored fake PCN was from ECP!) and ignore the debt collector drivel.

There is a section about debt collectors in post #4 of the NEWBIES thread and it includes links to DRP and Zenith letters. There is also another sticky thread linked in Crabman's top thread, called 'PPC letter chains'. Click on that and choose the OLD pre-Oct 2012 link (I know, odd!) because it has the best gallery of pictures. Shows the rubbish people have ignored for many years.

And this old thread from pepipoo:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=24362

...explains clearly how these letters cannot affect your credit rating and are drivel. However KEEP THEM in a file for years just in case and to show friends about this sort of scam. I still have my letters from all 4 totally ignored/laughed at 'fake PCNs' I have received over the years and have not yet had the chance to take one to POPLA. One day!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • welshboy123
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, greatly appreciated.
  • Bigilote
    Options
    Hello, I need some advise. I parked in a retail car park back in June. ECP has the contract and there are a few shops TK Marx, Toysarus, farmfoods etc. Anyway I got notice that I have overstayed by I think by 30mins or so. I made an appeal, but it was rejected, so I came on here and have read all the advise and basically I have ignored all the letters till I get a court letter. I have received on the 3/10/2014, a letter from Debt Recovery Plus and another one today 22/10/2014, given me till the 3rd of November to pay £130 or will commence court action and also will raise a CCJ against my name. This will include other court costs. I am not worried about that after reading on the forum, but I need this to stop, so I will appreciate any case law letters Ii can send to them. I came across somewhere in the forum where it directs you to write to DVLA, THE LAND OWNER/SHOPS HEADOFFICE AND SO ON. I forgot to mention that they have not provided me with a POPLA code, and I want to also check if its too late to ask them for it and do you have template letters to go with it. Your advise and guidance will be welcomed.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bigilote wrote: »
    Hello, I need some advise. I parked in a retail car park back in June. ECP has the contract and there are a few shops TK Marx, Toysarus, farmfoods etc. Anyway I got notice that I have overstayed by I think by 30mins or so. I made an appeal, but it was rejected, so I came on here and have read all the advise and basically I have ignored all the letters till I get a court letter. I have received on the 3/10/2014, a letter from Debt Recovery Plus and another one today 22/10/2014, given me till the 3rd of November to pay £130 or will commence court action and also will raise a CCJ against my name. This will include other court costs. I am not worried about that after reading on the forum, but I need this to stop, so I will appreciate any case law letters Ii can send to them. I came across somewhere in the forum where it directs you to write to DVLA, THE LAND OWNER/SHOPS HEADOFFICE AND SO ON. I forgot to mention that they have not provided me with a POPLA code, and I want to also check if its too late to ask them for it and do you have template letters to go with it. Your advise and guidance will be welcomed.

Please keep this to your existing thread.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Bigilote wrote: »

Why is this block of text here with no paragraph breaks, is it that it was posted on a phone? Anyway here's your thread, post it here instead but with gaps so we can read it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5032632

It's pointless posting on an ancient thread from last April!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure