Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 24th Feb 14, 3:43 PM
    • 1,889Posts
    • 5,197Thanks
    bargepole
    ParkingEye lose in Court, defendant had no help from forums
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:43 PM
    ParkingEye lose in Court, defendant had no help from forums 24th Feb 14 at 3:43 PM
    ParkingEye lost a case at Stoke-on-Trent County Court today (case no. 3JD08925, PE v Watson).

We knew this case was listed, but the defendant was someone who hadn't been on, or received any help from, any of the forums, but he still managed to get a decision in his favour.

This is what he put on Facebook, which apparently is some kind of networking site used mainly by 14-year old girls:

"Hi everyone just got back from Stoke county court where Im pleased to report Parking Eye Ltd got another pasting.

Their solicitor did most of the talking.It was clear to me the judge had read all of my submissions. I pointed out how charges and time limits were blacked out on the contract, so what was it they were trying to hide from the court! Their solicitor also had these charges blacked out on his copy (thankfully)

The hearing lasted about half an hour. The judge ruled that as the contract between Parking Eye and the landowner of the Duke of Gloucester (where I parked as a customer in Crewe) did not contain the free time limits or what the charges were to be (as they had helpfully blanked them out) , then there was no evidence before him that they were entitled to the 100.

What was quoted on the signage did not matter as it was missing in the contract.

He did rule that he was satisfied that as agents they were entitled to seek damages for breach of contract. So thats the worrying bit .

After the ruling I did ask if I could ask about Non genuine pre estimate of loss but the judge did not wish to answer anything about that, only on what he had ruled on.

I was awarded the full 90 costs only because I could prove with a wage slip that that was what I was losing out on for the day.

So all in all a good day for the good old motorist/consumer and a bad day for Parking Eye as the solicitors costs were 210 plus my 90 plus court costs etc...."
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 19. Lost 5.
Page 1
  • kirkbyinfurnesslad
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:45 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:45 PM
    We are going to have to get you in the 21st centre Mr Bargepole

Next thing you will be "snap chatting"!!!!
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 24th Feb 14, 3:46 PM
    • 14,802 Posts
    • 13,455 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:46 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:46 PM
    He did rule that he was satisfied that as agents they were entitled to seek damages for breach of contract. So thats the worrying bit
    Originally posted by bargepole
    Such are the vagaries of the small claims court system, and why it should be avoided if it can be.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 24th Feb 14, 3:56 PM
    • 5,989 Posts
    • 4,780 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:56 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:56 PM
    Actually Bargepole, Facebook is the social media of choice of Yuppies, Dinkies, Young Fogies, Yummy Mummies, Mr Speaker's wife, and Estate Agents. No 14 year old girl with any cred would go near it.
    Last edited by The Deep; 24-02-2014 at 4:01 PM.
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 24th Feb 14, 3:57 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:57 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 3:57 PM
    We are going to have to get you in the 21st centre Mr Bargepole

Next thing you will be "snap chatting"!!!!
    Originally posted by kirkbyinfurnesslad
    You'll be wearing a three-piece suit, with pocket watch, spats and carrying a cane before that happens.

That site looks like another of those dotcoms that some idiot will pay $240,000,000 for, when it's actually worth about 50p.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 19. Lost 5.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Feb 14, 4:39 PM
    • 42,754 Posts
    • 55,180 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 24th Feb 14, 4:39 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 4:39 PM
    I'm not on facebook either! Well done to Mr Watson and well done to whoever found his success!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• SevenTowers
    • By SevenTowers 24th Feb 14, 7:51 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    SevenTowers
    • 24th Feb 14, 7:51 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 7:51 PM
    I can't believe that Parking Eye court defeats have become so run of the mill that this has slipped to the second page only 4 hours after the intial posting.
  • kirkbyinfurnesslad
    • 24th Feb 14, 8:05 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 8:05 PM
    I'm not on facebook either! Well done to Mr Watson and well done to whoever found his success!
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    You need to get down with the kids!
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 24th Feb 14, 8:12 PM
    • 14,802 Posts
    • 13,455 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 24th Feb 14, 8:12 PM
    • 24th Feb 14, 8:12 PM
    Lots of famous people have tried that - look where it's got them.
    • SevenTowers
    • By SevenTowers 24th Feb 14, 11:07 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    SevenTowers
    I see Pranky has featured this story.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

1,361Users online

Martin's Twitter