Strange green powder with mold

Options
Hi

I had mold on the inside of an external solid wall, I went to DIY store and they gave me a fungicidal wash and asked me to clean the wall with it. I did that and the black mold is all gone or should I say it has not come back just yet. But there was one more thing with the mold, it is a green powder like substance on the wall, it has a very funny smell to it, even if I clean it with a wet cloth it just goes everywhere like powder. Does anyone know what this could be. My house has solid walls and this part of the wall where all this is happening is getting the most water on it, rest other walls are dry.

I also wanted to know that since my house has brick walls on the outside, how do I protect it from rain, I have applied water seal at some of the walls but not all, is that the only way of basically sealing the external wall from water damage.

Would appreciate if someone can please guide me.

Comments

• maninthestreet
    Options
    Sounds like spores - can you upload a picture?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest the same. The spores of moulds and fungi are powdery.
  • bretts
    bretts Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks a lot for your replies
    Here are the pictures

http://postimg.org/gallery/80l572f4/

Please advise.
    I just saw there is some brown patches too now and there is a picture of how the wall looks like from outside, it is a solid external wall, problem is I can see very faint moisture patches on the inside, hence I was asking what is the way of protecting the internal walls from external elements as well coz I might do that sooner than later.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Moulds come in many different colours.

In my college days we had to grow moulds and fungi on various animal faeces and obtained lots of colours including brown , black, yellow, pink, green and blue.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would advise that when you clean the walls down again you wear suitable respiratory equipment, mould spores can be hazardous to health if inhaled.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • bretts
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your replies. Should I just use the fungicidal wash or something else on it as these came back in like 2 weeks. What would you recommend. Also what can I put on the external wall so the moisture is locked out.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would have a look at getting a commercial fungicide spray and then repainting with anti fungal paint from somewhere like Dulux decorator centre
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • bretts
    Options
    Having to open this thread again, a month on and I have the mold back there, Its not as bad as it was earlier but I read a lot on forum and other sites and made a solution of fungicide vinegar bleach, just mixed everything and cleaned the wall. From outside I put a coat of water seal, but it has not been raining that bad anymore, but mold is back. I could not repaint the area as I have a small kid and don't know how bad the paint fumes would be at this point for him so could not do a lot. Any idea where I can get a commercial fungicide, the paint used when we painted about 6 months ago was all dulux, is there a separate paint from dulux for mold. I was thinking of putting an antimold undercoat first and then painting over it, does this sound right?

Please advise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport