Dodgy looking PM dated 1970 regarding password changes.

Options
digitaltoast
digitaltoast Posts: 403 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 January 2014 at 2:35PM in Site feedback
You have received a new private message at MoneySavingExpert.com Forums from MSE Zorica, entitled "Forum Passwords".

As part of our *Forum Redesign (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4717047&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=07-Jan-14)*, we want to make sure forum users’ passwords are as strong as possible and our techies have asked us to get in touch to make yours more secure.

If you could you give us a hand by changing your password to something stronger when you next log in we’d be very grateful.

To change your password go to your Edit Password (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=editpassword&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=07-Jan-14) page.

To make it stronger use a combination of upper and lowercase characters, numbers and letters.

Thanks in advance for your help

MSE Forum Team

A few things stand out here:
  • Why is the message dated 1970, pushing it to the bottom of the list of messages?
  • Mrs Toast also has an MSE account, she's not received a notice.
  • Why would this related to a "redesign" announcement from July 2013?
  • In my 10 years of internet forumming, these things ALWAYS follow a breach. Anything else we should know about?

My password was a random mixture of numbers and letters generated, as always, by KeePass.

I have, however, logged in separately NOT using the email links and changed my password to a 32 character 201 bit password.

I'm fine with changing passwords from time to time, but something doesn't quite "feel" right with the notification. Anyone else got this?

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have had the PM you quote, mine was dated today.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • digitaltoast
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    I have had the PM you quote, mine was dated today.
    Hmmm... that's odd. This is what I'm seeing:

ibbVioTDY49HfG.png
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also had this, and at least 2 more have. Mine was dated 1970 too. I wouldn't click on the link within the pm to edit passwords. Looks dodgy to me.

I posted about it here, in case MSE want to see more comments

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64301955&posted=1#post64301955

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    Hi all,

These PMs come from us. Recheck and is fixed already.

Due to the nature of these PMs we had to deliver them in a different manner than usual. As a result I had to quickly perform some technical wizardry to transport these emails from the distant past to the present day

Please help us out and follow the instructions in the PM. Thank you.

Ian
  • digitaltoast
    Options
    Ah, OK, thanks for confirming that. I've just looked at my PMs again and it has, indeed, changed date.

I think the other part of the suspicion has come from the use of last July's forum graphical redesign as the reason for sending a PM about password changes. As I said before, this kind of email usually follows a breach, so my suspicion tentacles were waving in the ether(net).

So there's no breach or anything?
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Former_MSE_Ian Posts: 660 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2014 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Hi all,

The security of your account is important to us here at MSE. I can't say this clearly enough. These PMs are merely precautionary. But while some of you already have decent passwords we want you to have really good ones :). So we would really appreciate it if you could follow the instructions in the PM.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family