IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Egg Card Insurance Offers
Closed Thread
Views: 6,784
# 1
Former MSE Dan
Old 21-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Former Web Editor
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile Egg Card Insurance Offers

Updated 3 May 2005

Egg* have brought back their Car insurance cashback scheme, refunding £50 off your premium if you use your Egg card to pay for it. These payments towards your premium will then be at 0% for 12 months (although do remember that if you have other balances on your egg card, the repayments will be restructured towards this 0% balance first, costing you more interest on the expensive debt See The Credit Card Shuffle for a way around this)

Buying this online offers a further 10% reduction of your premium. The best way to look at this is to see how cheap you can get your car insurance (see the Car Insurance Cost-Cutting article) and then if the price quoted by Egg is less than £30 more expensive, then go for that and you're quids in.

*Affiliated link: If a link has a star, then clicking via it means a contribution is made to MoneySavingExpert.com, which helps it stay ad-free, sponsorship-free and free to use. This in no way impacts any editorial decisions (what I write), costs you anything or changes the product. For an identical link which doesn’t help the site go to www.egg.com For more on how it works and the site’s non-profit driven ethical and financial policy read this.

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 25-05-2005 at 4:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Dan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
WelshConsumer
Old 22-03-2005, 9:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Egg £15 Annual Multitrip insurance

Just bought this as an existing Egg Customer. Starts at the end of March and only costs £15 for myself and wife. I spent more than that insuring a day trip to Paris on Eurostar. The only catch I can see is the Continuous Authority Transactions (CATs) you are setting up allowing them to debit your card next year. Whilst I appreciate that CATs are difficult to stop once you have set them up I am sure it will not be a problem as it is also with Egg.
# 3
alared
Old 22-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Egg £15 Annual Multitrip insurance

I would have thought that when the renewal comes up they have to let you,thus giving you the chance to cancel.
Maybe not, and this is why it looks a good deal now.
They are hoping in 12 months people will have forgot or just carry it on.
One thing for sure it won`t be £15 on renewal.
A good deal now but keep the renewal in mind.

Last edited by savvy; 02-04-2005 at 6:34 PM. Reason: To add the title
# 4
bristolboy25
Old 06-05-2005, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy Egg Motor Insurance 12 months interest free!

Yes you really do have to be careful with this one as I got caught out. There is no way that they can leave the insurance premium at 0% if you have other debts on the card at the time that you take the insurance out.

Please also be aware that they will take the premium as soon as you send back the agreement as opposed to when your car insurance starts from. Maybe this is common sense but I certainly didn't expect them to take it immediately.

The way to keep this 0% and maybe pay off monthly by DD or pay off at the end of the year ot whatever you want to do is to ensure that the balance is ZERO before phoning them to take up your car insurance or doing it online.

Hope this helps some and prevents people being tricked like me!
# 5
koru
Old 10-05-2005, 3:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Covers imports too (at least some)

Wow, thanks. I just saved more than £400!

My insurance has always been very high, because my car is an import, so very few insurers will give cover. With no competition, you pay through the nose. The best deal I could find was £660, through Norwich Union.

I had long since learnt that all the cheap insurers don't cover imports, but just to see how much extra I am paying I tried the egg quote. I was gobsmacked that when I had to select the car model it included my imported version as an option. With the £50 off for paying by egg card, my premium is down to £249.

I don't know if they cover other imports, but I strongly suggest that owners of imports give it a go.

I have a big stoozed balance with them at 0% already, so I guess I get 0% on the lot. I imagine that when my 0% BT period ends in September, I will have to pay off everything, but that's fine.
koru
The Following User Says Thank You to koru For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ilovefreebies
Old 11-05-2005, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thats a massiv insurance saving"
# 7
chinch
Old 19-05-2005, 12:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm unhappy with Egg - been with them for insurance for two years and decide to renew in march. Paid with egg blue card 0% and get told over the phone that i am entitled to £30 cashback (as it was at the time) now still no cashback and egg are saying that this was for new customers only... anyone got any ideas on the best way forward?

ta
Snootchie Bootchies!
# 8
bristolboy25
Old 29-05-2005, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Tell them you will cancel and re apply, do it over the net to get additional 10% discount? As now £50 cashback again as opposed to £30.
# 9
Redrum
Old 30-05-2005, 4:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristolboy25
Tell them you will cancel and re apply, do it over the net to get additional 10% discount? As now £50 cashback again as opposed to £30.
Don't even tell them! I faced the same thing at the back end of last year. Wasn't going to get cash back as an existing customer, so applied again "as new" and got the cash back, plus the 10% online saving

Saved about £80 on my renewal quote!!
# 10
pool182
Old 31-05-2005, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Egg special offer

I too was an existing customer who they tried to cheat out of the £50 cashback offer.

I told them I was unhappy and the terms and conditions were too vague and existing customers were being punished unfairly. The only way round this I was told is to set up a new policy which she kindly did for me over the phone.

Result!
# 11
Bash
Old 07-06-2005, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up Egg £15 Travel Insurance Back Again !

Egg are doing their cheap Annual Family Travel Policies again for a limited time it appears,

Click here for info

The general gist of it is,
Quote:
All this for £15:

Cover for the whole year, no matter how many European trips you make - up to a maximum of 31 days per trip.

Family cover - covers two adults and any number of their children aged under 18 (or 22 if in full time education).

17 days' winter sports cover automatically included.

Just pay an extra £35 to upgrade the policy to worldwide cover, or £15 for business travel.

Apply by midnight 14 June 2005 and your cover will start on 15 June.

Apply between 15 June and midnight 30 June 2005 and your cover will start on 1 July 2005.
At this time of year it look like a good offer

Last edited by Bash; 07-06-2005 at 6:11 PM. Reason: sorry, incorrect link. Now modified.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
the_tired_one
Old 07-06-2005, 6:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What if cover is required for 60 days...is that possible?
# 13
Bash
Old 07-06-2005, 6:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tired_one
What if cover is required for 60 days...is that possible?
It appears, under this offer the maximum days of cover allowed is 31.

You can get a quote online from them through this link Egg Travel Quote
But, I dont think they're that competitive for longer periods.

Alternatively you could ring them on 08451 222888 & see what they say.
# 14
The Bug 1974
Old 07-06-2005, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Is this just for egg customers or can anyone apply
The Bug
There's nothing worse than wasted talent!!!!!
# 15
hammodt
Old 07-06-2005, 7:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

17 days' winter sports cover automatically included.

...that surprises me... thats normally very expensive!!

David
What shall I put here? :confused:
# 16
loates123
Old 07-06-2005, 7:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

what is the cover like i am after world wide cover for one year, want the cover to be good , only traveling 3 times tho, twice two europe once to the dom rep
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
# 17
Redrum
Old 07-06-2005, 8:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default LOOPHOLE: Non-Egg customers can still take this offer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bug 1974
Is this just for egg customers or can anyone apply
I posted about this offer last time they ran it, and most of the details appear to be the same. But from what I can tell, they've changed one key detail which creates a loophole to allow anyone to take advantage of this offer - even if you're not an existing Egg customer!

Like last time, you have to log-in to their secure area to take out the offer, so technically, you do have to be a customer. But what appears different is that last time you could only pay with your Egg Card, which given it takes about 2 weeks to get to you wasn't an easy option - plus all the disadvantages about applying for extra credit

But this time you can pay out of your Egg savings account, or with a non-Egg credit or debit card. They don't tell you this on the main page, but when you log-in, it gives you various payment options

"Payment
Please select your Egg account
or choose to pay with credit or debit card"

So...if you're NOT AN EGG CUSTOMER...all you need to do is open up a Savings account with Egg, which takes all of 5 minutes, and voila, there you go. You can now log in to the secure area and are suddenly eligible for the offer

If you like, stick £15 in your account and pay for the Travel cover that way - or alternatively just pay for it with your HSBC, Lloyds or whatever card, so that way you never have to use the account

They came unstuck with this last year when they did cashback on car insurance if you had a savings account. There was a post at the time about a similar loophole

Enjoy!
# 18
nuttersinc
Old 07-06-2005, 11:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

to all out there . yes its cheap but when it comes to paying out they can be a real pain. when i tried to claim for piste closure this year they sent and told me that they did not accept photocopies of any documents and even wanted my policy certificate and my originals of all my booking details. the problem was that the resort had only supplied photocopies of certain documents. also they said they could not return some documents even though i needed them for my friend to claim off his insurance.

its been 4 months now and they still haven't paid out. i am just glad it wasn't a medical bill of 000's that i was claiming for.

so i won't be using them again.
# 19
justsavedabundle
Old 08-06-2005, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Annual travel insurance for just £15 - offer ends 30 June

Hi,

My first ever post here, so wasn't sure whether this should go here or the Insurance section. It fits both categories, but I figured seeing it was a limited offer, that this was the best place for it

Got an email from Egg this morning offering me annual European family travel insurance for just £15, which I thought was too good to be true. So I checked out the pages it was sending me to at http://www.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_7277...w_1520,00.html and it seems the offer is totally kosher. The offer is open until the end of June

As me and the family are going over to Florida in the summer I upgraded to Worldwide cover which cost another £35 (for all of us, not each). So I've covered me, the wife and our 2 kids for the whole year for just £50!!!

It says you have to be an Egg customer, but it lets you pay by credit or debit cards that aren't Egg - I paid on my Natwest card for the airmiles - so it seems they're not that fussy

A really good offer that I just had to shout out about. Hope others find it as useful as I did

Bye!!
# 20
Prof
Old 08-06-2005, 10:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Travel insurance £15

Annual family cover for only £15 for European travel, egg customers only offer ends 30 June.

(Normal price is £80 at Egg. MSE site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...83570446,24889, has cheapest at £48.)

www.egg.com

Searched could not find anything. Bargain IMO.
Closed Thread