Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Prudential AVCs vs S&S ISA (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Prudential AVCs vs S&S ISA
Views: 763
# 1
jabbahut40
Old 05-01-2014, 4:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Prudential AVCs vs S&S ISA

Hi,

My wife works for Glasgow City Council (Education Dept), is a lower rate tax payer in her mid 40s and is a member of the final salary Strathclyde Pension Fund. As part of her retirement planning she has been offered to invest in AVCs with Prudential. We have been looking at the list of funds available and performance offered by Prudential and are not overly impressed.

http://www.pru.co.uk/retire/retireme...s/strathclyde/

She already has a small S&S ISA which she started a few years ago (but stopped paying into) and is comfortable making her own fund selections.

She can afford to invest approx. 100/month towards her pension and was wondering whether AVCs vs. S&S ISA would be the best way to save towards retirement.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jabba
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
jem16
Old 05-01-2014, 4:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 8,388 Times in 5,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahut40 View Post
Hi,

My wife works for Glasgow City Council (Education Dept), is a lower rate tax payer in her mid 40s and is a member of the final salary Strathclyde Pension Fund. As part of her retirement planning she has been offered to invest in AVCs with Prudential. We have been looking at the list of funds available and performance offered by Prudential and are not overly impressed.

http://www.pru.co.uk/retire/retireme...s/strathclyde/

She already has a small S&S ISA which she started a few years ago (but stopped paying into) and is comfortable making her own fund selections.

She can afford to invest approx. 100/month towards her pension and was wondering whether AVCs vs. S&S ISA would be the best way to save towards retirement.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jabba
Has anything changed since your thread on exactly the same subject 9 months ago?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...715&highlight=
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jem16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jabbahut40
Old 05-01-2014, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem16 View Post
Has anything changed since your thread on exactly the same subject 9 months ago?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...715&highlight=
Thanks. I forgot we posted this last year...how time flies. My wife's circumstances have NOT changed since this post and embarrassed to say that due to fear (of doing the wrong thing) she has done nothing. Hoping that some help from the forum may help her make her mind and move to action.

Jabba

Last edited by jabbahut40; 05-01-2014 at 4:23 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to jabbahut40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
pip895
Old 05-01-2014, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As she is a lower rate tax payer and already contributing to a pension I would think adding to the isa would be a pretty good option. It is also simple and you can start straight away - no need to wait another 9months!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pip895 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
kidmugsy
Old 05-01-2014, 4:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,932 Posts

May I suggest that you check the charges on the Pru funds offered for the AVCs? If they are high by current standards, e.g. 0.65% p.a., then that would be a reason to tend towards S&S ISAs instead. There you could use ETFs or other "funds" with lower charges: Vanguard, for instance. The blogger 'Monevator' is a good source on such topics.
The Following User Says Thank You to kidmugsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jem16
Old 05-01-2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I forgot we posted this last year...how time flies. My wife's circumstances have NOT changed since this post and embarrassed to say that due to fear (of doing the wrong thing) she has done nothing. Hoping that some help from the forum may help her make her mind and move to action.

Jabba
There is nothing much that can be added over what was already posted in the other thread.

The main advantage to AVCs with the LGPS is the ability to take the whole AVC pot as the tax-free lump sum.

I take it your wife has decided against ARCs?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jem16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jabbahut40
Old 05-01-2014, 7:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
There is nothing much that can be added over what was already posted in the other thread.

The main advantage to AVCs with the LGPS is the ability to take the whole AVC pot as the tax-free lump sum.

I take it your wife has decided against ARCs?
No. ARCs are still also on her list.

If I am reading the other thread rightly the main advantages are:

ARC
Guaranteed return linked to CPI but cannot take as lump sum?

AVC
Can take as tax free lump, limited choice of funds, my wife takes on risk of fund performance compared to ARC.

S&S
Gains tax free, access to money throughout, my wife takes on risk of fund performance (with arguably more scope to control this through greater choice of funds available)

Does this sound about right?

Jabba
# 8
planteria
Old 05-01-2014, 7:37 PM

i would ensure that she is contributing as much to her pension as necessary to get GCC to part with as much as they will, and then invest externally...either via a Pension or an ISA.
The Following User Says Thank You to planteria For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
atush
Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Thanked 6,189 Times in 4,187 Posts

Quote:

Jabba
How about you look up the funds you might have chosen and see how much they went up in 2013? That she didn't take part, and didn't reap the benefits might jog her into action lol?
The Following User Says Thank You to atush For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
woolly_wombat
Old 06-01-2014, 4:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
No. ARCs are still also on her list.

If I am reading the other thread rightly the main advantages are:

ARC
Guaranteed return linked to CPI but cannot take as lump sum?

AVC
Can take as tax free lump, limited choice of funds, my wife takes on risk of fund performance compared to ARC.

S&S
Gains tax free, access to money throughout, my wife takes on risk of fund performance (with arguably more scope to control this through greater choice of funds available)

Does this sound about right?

Jabba
FWIW I went for the certainty of ARCs, which looked like good value, with the employer taking the risk. At that time ARCs were RPI-linked, but that is not the case with ARCs taken out now (and the cost of RPI-linked ARCs rose sharply and at very short notice in April 2013).

I am now considering investing separately in a SIPP as well, due partly to the uncertainty over the continuing ability to take all LGPS AVC investments as lump sum, but more importantly because with LGPS 2014 starting soon I do not envisage continuing in current employment until State Pension Age.

WW

Last edited by woolly_wombat; 06-01-2014 at 5:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woolly_wombat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
jem16
Old 06-01-2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly_wombat View Post
I am now considering investing separately in a SIPP as well, due partly to the uncertainty over the continuing ability to take all LGPS AVC investments as lump sum, but more importantly because with LGPS 2014 starting soon I do not envisage continuing in current employment until State Pension Age.

WW
Are you a higher rate taxpayer?

if not you might be better using a S&S ISA. That way you could retire earlier and use the S&S ISA to bridge the gap till NRA for the LGPS - would save any actuarial reduction.
The Following User Says Thank You to jem16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
jabbahut40
Old 06-01-2014, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by atush View Post
How about you look up the funds you might have chosen and see how much they went up in 2013? That she didn't take part, and didn't reap the benefits might jog her into action lol?
Love it! Think this will do the trick. Thanks
# 13
vm2pensioner
Old 07-01-2014, 9:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

One thing to keep in mind with using LGPS Prudential AVCs to take as lump sum is that, if the AVC has run for less than five years, there is an exit charge of (I think) 15%.
The Following User Says Thank You to vm2pensioner For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
kidmugsy
Old 07-01-2014, 3:24 PM

Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm2pensioner View Post
One thing to keep in mind with using LGPS Prudential AVCs to take as lump sum is that, if the AVC has run for less than five years, there is an exit charge of (I think) 15%.
Well said, sir. That would be enough to put me off AVCs: you're trapped and they can change terms on you. In a personal pension of some sort you can move to another provider.
The Following User Says Thank You to kidmugsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
woolly_wombat
Old 07-01-2014, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Are you a higher rate taxpayer?
No, I'm not.

Quote:
if not you might be better using a S&S ISA. That way you could retire earlier and use the S&S ISA to bridge the gap till NRA for the LGPS - would save any actuarial reduction.
I'm already contributing to a S&S ISA as well.

WW