help me out: what car do I need?

Options
racing_blue
racing_blue Posts: 961 Forumite
edited 25 February 2015 at 12:15PM in Motoring
Keeping a light digital footprint...

This post is quite old, and as it contained personal info, I have deleted it for security.

PM me if you would like to know what it said or discuss any aspect.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 December 2013 at 9:26PM
    Options
    50cm of floodwater a canoe.

Buy some winter/snow tyres.

Fiat Panda 4x4
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• racing_blue
    Options
    LOVE that reply. In fact , I have an inflatable canoe. It is a Seyvlor 2 man thing and is great fun. Takes a bit of effort to blow up though. I don't fancy stopping at the floodwater, spending 20 mins inflating said canoe, walking 1 mile to see Mrs Smith, walking back, deflating canoe etc etc

Someone I spoke to said their Volvo XC90 was good in 50cm of water (and I believe them). Someone else said their Spanish 4x4 import was good in 3ft - not sure I believe them.

I can't afford to buy and service an XC90

Poor man's equivalent? I do;t know if yoou are joking about the fiat panda
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the Freelander 2 will wade in 50cm of water. Don't think it (or anything else will go up an icy 1:6 hill though).
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fiat Panda 4x4

One of the best cars on the road.
  • racing_blue
    racing_blue Posts: 961 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2013 at 9:43PM
    Options
    One of the best cars on the road.

On the basis that lightning never strikes twice, I'll check the Italian rickshaw out

Edit: genius! Looks just the ticket
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/fiat/panda-4x4/verdict
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    gilbert_and_sullivan Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2013 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Hmm, on the face of it a small off roader such as a Suzi Jimny, Daihatsu Terios or Mitsi Pinin would be OK, but i'm none too sure they could cope with 50cm wading.
    The wading depth of a Panda 4x4 i expect to be nowhere near your needs, but be interesting to check.

You might be better off finding a 3 door version of Landcruiser (Colorado), Nissan Patrol, Terrano/Maverick, Mitsi Shogun, Trooper/Monteray, the 3 door versions not in as much demand so usually cheaper and more agile.

These latter vehicles will all do the wading job you want, but expect 30 mpg dodging about at best, not as the petrol engined lighter vehicles will be any better.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind that Land Rover Defenders are only rated for 50 cm wading depth. If you are looking for something that will cope with those depths reliably, you need to look at serious vehicles.

I'm a big fan of the Defender, but I couldn't recommend one if a Ford Ka would do the job for the rest of the year. It would be overkill. Also remember that vehicles which are waded regularly need a lot of preventative maintenance.

I'd go for a Suzuki Jimny or a Panda 4x4, and be prepared to take your shoes off if the water got too deep. I have never owned either, but I have seen both (modified, to be sure) compete in off-road trials against heavily-modified V8s and win.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • goonarmy
    goonarmy Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that Land Rover Defenders are only rated for 50 cm wading depth. If you are looking for something that will cope with those depths reliably, you need to look at serious vehicles.

I'm a big fan of the Defender, but I couldn't recommend one if a Ford Ka would do the job for the rest of the year. It would be overkill. Also remember that vehicles which are waded regularly need a lot of preventative maintenance.

I'd go for a Suzuki Jimny or a Panda 4x4, and be prepared to take your shoes off if the water got too deep. I have never owned either, but I have seen both (modified, to be sure) compete in off-road trials against heavily-modified V8s and win.

Currently fenders have a wading depth of 60cm. Think a freelander might be the same too(and a range rover sport but that aint the car for the job) so id say one of them, but they aint very cheap currently.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would go for panda 4*4 class with winter tires and just accept that your never going to able to wade though 50 cm of water unless you buy a serious off roader with snorkel and associated engine water proofing
  • funkycoldribena
    Options
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport