JSA Sanction > signed off > now what? Help!

Hello,

Looking for some advice please, having not gotten anywhere on the phone with DWP today:(

My JSA was recently sanctioned (upon review after 2 months from first claiming as my reasons for leaving my former employer were not good enough). The sanction was for 6 weeks and as it stated my NI contributions would 'not' be paid either, I decided upon advice (perhaps incorrect) to sign off as there was no benefit to signing on during this period. My sanction is now coming to and end, and unfortunately I am still not in employment. As I've signed off, I've received a P45 and I assume I would need to re-sign on again, although I remember. Reading something that if re-signing within a shirt period it is still classed as the same claim?

Also, I was wondering if the sanction will then 're-apply' so to speak if I need to start a fresh claim? Will I have to sign on unpaid for the 6 week sanction period to be re-eligible.

I'm confused so any direction or help would be great.

Thanks

Jan

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 December 2013 at 5:59PM
    Most important .. Before signing of did you appeal?

This maybe waffle but for anybody else
    I was once sanctioned, (same reasons) signed off after 2 'just attending to sign declaration' appointments with money drying up... I just couldn't get to the jobcentre even though the DWP thought everyday was a trip into town !! and got frustrated, even my advisor recommended I sign off then just as I did I heard I had won sanction by appeal so it happens but important an appeal is made and where possible attend to sign still so when overlift happens you still get all the monies backdated paid out for each time you've gone to JC

Commenced resigning okay after that as "rapid reclaim" once I heard I had the sanction lifted, nothing more said on subject - then within the next fortnight landed a temporary job so there is hope, (after a run in with the Jobcentre I always found my luck improved ha!) has your sanction been over turned by a decision maker? or is it you are now past the 6 weeks? can I ask
  • Shiloe
    Shiloe Posts: 314 Forumite
    You do not have to serve a 6 week sanction whilst receiving JSA - if you had a 6 week sanction and signed off you will become eligible for JSA again the day after you sanction ends

There is a linking period however this refers to waiting days i.e. if you sign on again within a certain period you do not have to serve your 3 unpaid waiting days again and become eligible from the day you make your claim

hope that helps...
  • Shiloe wrote: »
    You do not have to serve a 6 week sanction whilst receiving JSA - if you had a 6 week sanction and signed off you will become eligible for JSA again the day after you sanction ends

There is a linking period however this refers to waiting days i.e. if you sign on again within a certain period you do not have to serve your 3 unpaid waiting days again and become eligible from the day you make your claim

hope that helps...

Thanks,

It's all very confusing to me. I had been signing on for almost 8 weeks before receiving the letter advising I would have a 6 week sanction, to be fair though there reasoning was there (I didn't actually have suffice reasoning for leaving my former employer I now realise). I've received the P45 in the post, I'll wait until after my sanction ends next week and re-apply I guess. Will it be a new claim or viewed as re-starting the old claim?? Glad to hear the sanction will have been served, the letter did strictly stress an end date to when they could start laying me again.

On a separate note, can I change job centres when I sign back on? I would rather not sign on at my nearest job centre as per my postcode, it is actually more convenient to sign on at a JC 20 miles away in a town where I spend half my time at my boyfriends and is easier to reach. I remember when I first applied for JSA it simply assigned my nearest JC as per my postcode.

Thanks
  • You may be committing benefit fraud if you spend half your time staying elsewhere and have not/do not intend to tell DWP of this arrangement. DWP will certainly question why you want to sign on so far away from home and that explanation will not lessen any doubt - you will likely find yourself the subject of an investigation. Your boyfriend too, if he also claims benefits. You will certainly need to provide DWP with more information about your living arrangements and the time you spend at another property.

You are entitled to sign anywhere you like, but the distance will raise questions. However, you SHOULD have declared this arrangements already - have you?
  • jancollins wrote: »
    Glad to hear the sanction will have been served
    Thanks
    Don't believe everything you are told...
    jancollins wrote: »
    On a separate note, can I change job centres when I sign back on? I would rather not sign on at my nearest job centre as per my postcode, it is actually more convenient to sign on at a JC 20 miles away in a town where I spend half my time at my boyfriends and is easier to reach.
    You can sign at any Jobcentre you like although you might want to come clean re the boyfriend issue.
  • How do I change job centres that I sign on with vs. the automatic assignment as per the nearest centre to the postcode given? Will come clean re. my reasoning to wanting to sign on somewhere else. I wouldn't be spending half my time somewhere else, I'd just prefer to sign on in the town I visit often with better transport links despite being further and I'm only applying for JSA, not housing benefit!

My sanction ends Jan2nd as per the letter received. I will sign on the following day. Will it be a new (fresh) claim or will it carry on from my previous claim signed off 6 weeks ago?

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    are you claiming contribution based JSA or income based? If income based and your boyfriend works you may end up with no payment
  • Contribution based as only recently signed on. Very rarely staying at my BF's. The day or so I would & could, his local job centre is far handier than mine, if that makes sense.
  • jancollins wrote: »
    How do I change job centres that I sign on with vs. the automatic assignment as per the nearest centre to the postcode given? Will come clean re. my reasoning to wanting to sign on somewhere else.
    Go to the Jobcentre interview then phone up and say you want to change Jobcentre. Easy peasy....
  • ArtoDeeto wrote: »
    Go to the Jobcentre interview then phone up and say you want to change Jobcentre. Easy peasy....

Can you arrange it have your interview at the desired Job Centre? I'd be keen not to return to my former job centre if avoidable.

I'm not claiming for housing benefit etc, simply JSA so I understand it shouldn't matter what Job Centre I request?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure