Do I have to declare speed awareness course?

Options
I'm in the process of getting quotes for car insurance and I've been ticking the box for 'no convictions in the last 5 years' on all of them until I got to Admiral.

Admirals's website specifically states that you also have to declare speed awareness courses, although there is no option to select it on the website so you have to call. I called to declare that I had attended a speed awareness course earlier this year and the premium went up by £80.

I've since checked the small print on all the other websites and all the rest only use the term 'convictions' or 'fixed penalty'.

Am I correct in assuming that a speed awareness course does not count as either a conviction or a fixed penalty? Could the insurer use this as an excuse to refuse cover if I do not declare it and need to claim at a later date?

In previous years, I've compared the effect of points on the cost of cover and most insurers did not increase the premium until you reach 6 points. I guess this has changed as they look for more ways of increasing premiums.

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AFAIK only EUI - Admiral, Bell, Elephant etc, request details of speed awareness courses. If picking cover from an aggregator, check the chosen insurer's own website to ensure it does not need to be declared, just in case...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Need to see what exactly is asked. Traditionally no you don't as its not a conviction however as you point out, some are explicitly asking about it now and so to them you do
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 17 October 2013 at 1:13PM
    Options
    If they ask about speed awareness courses you've got to declare it - up to them what conditions they take into account. Its not a conviction etc,. so your are right to tick no to that on other sites.

They'll probably all latch on to this new money making scam soon. Fair enough I think - why should one punter who is done by a police force and get a speeding course get treated differently to someone else, elsewhere, that gets 3 points for the same thing. Same offence and same increased risk.
  • friendlycode
    Options
    The whole point of doing a speed awareness course is so that you don't receive any points....isn't it?

I have had a letter come through giving me the choice of a speed awareness course or the 'possibility' of being convicted and getting points.

Speed awareness course = £97, 4 hour session and 2 hour total drive

Points (if given) = £100 and slight insurance increase

I always insure with Admiral, so the latter sounds like a better deal for me in this case

Thanks for raising this issue Dan
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Problem you have is if you get some more points in the near future.

Do dummy quotes with 3, then 6 points and see what difference it makes to your premium.

(If you intend to always stay with admiral irrespective, then feel free to ignore!)
  • friendlycode
    friendlycode Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2013 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Thanks for that Quentin.

Admiral (and the rest of the group) are always by the far the cheapest to insure my old japanese import sports car.

The ironic thing is that I wasn't even clocked speeding in that car - it was our big family car - typical :embarasse
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    When you phoned Admiral up you should have told them you had been on a speed awareness course then immediately followed it up with

"So, i'm guessing my premium will be lower as I am now clearly a safer and more well educated driver" :)
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    When you phoned Admiral up you should have told them you had been on a speed awareness course then immediately followed it up with

"So, i'm guessing my premium will be lower as I am now clearly a safer and more well educated driver" :)
    Admiral's claims stats apparently suggest otherwise.which are they more likely to base their prices on - claims data, or your opinion of what they ought to charge?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    There is no database accessible to insurance companies that lists those who have been on a speed awareness course.

I couldn't possibly recommend lying on an insurance proposal though.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I attended a speed awareness course earlier this week and this came up at the end, the instructor as much as said that if you didn't tell the insurance then how would they find out.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport