Vietnamese Dong Revaluation

I have been given a tip that the Dong is set to be revalued or even has been revalued and it just has to be announced. Is this true or is it a hoax? As someone with a few million Dong from a previous holiday should I keep hold of it and will it be revalued? Regards andfo82

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    andfo82 wrote: »
    I have been given a tip that the Dong is set to be revalued or even has been revalued and it just has to be announced. Is this true or is it a hoax? As someone with a few million Dong from a previous holiday should I keep hold of it and will it be revalued? Regards andfo82

You`re on the wrong forum mate.

Try this one.
    http://dongtalk.com/forums/ :rotfl:
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Given you probably only have about £60 and to my knowledge you can't exchange it outside Vietnam I wouldn't worry about it. I do wish they'd produce a million dong note though for the sake of my pockets
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does this mean that Dong are the new silver? Should we be putting all our savings into Dong ETFs?

Seriously, what usually happens when countries do this is that they create a New Dong (or Rouble, Cedi, Mark or whatever) and people have to take their money to the nearest bank to exchange a thousand old for one new. After a while the old banknotes lose their value completely...

Back in the days of fixed exchange rates a government could declare that its currency was going to be worth more (or less) against sterling or the dollar, but nowadays the markets make those adjustments several times each minute.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    I have been given a tip that the Dong is set to be revalued or even has been revalued and it just has to be announced. Is this true or is it a hoax?....

It's a scam. Like the Iraqi Dinar scam.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jayadkisson/2012/07/30/you-cant-fix-stupid-the-iraqi-dinar-scam-lives/
    ....As someone with a few million Dong from a previous holiday should I keep hold of it and will it be revalued? Regards andfo82

Please yourself. Just don't be persuaded to buy any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure