IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Shiny gloss floor tiles- yes or no?
Closed Thread
Views: 32,629
# 1
matty_hunt
Old 04-06-2007, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Shiny gloss floor tiles- yes or no?

Hi. Im installing a new kitchen, black gloss with walnut worktops, and am thinking about the flooring. Nice shiny gloss floor tiles ,I think, would give a luxurious finish though Im not sure what colour to go for. (suggestions welcome) the problem is that I enter my house via the back door which is the kitchen door. Im a gardener and so come home often dirty, sometimes wet, and so risk bringing dirt/mud/grit onto the floor. Im wondering if having shiny floor tiles is a good idea or not? Will they scratch and dullen? (dullen? is that a word?) Does anyone out there have gloss floor tiles? Recommend them or should I stay away?
many thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to matty_hunt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
moonrakerz
Old 04-06-2007, 8:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've just had a hardwood floor sanded down and re-lacquered. The man who did it said gloss looks great until it gets marked then it starts to look tatty very quickly. Even rubber soled carpet slippers will leave scuff marks.
I had a satin finish put on which looks really good.
# 3
never enough
Old 04-06-2007, 9:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've recently had some ceramic tiles put down in the back lobby area (my main garden access) & they seem to be holding up to the mud/grit/muck that I tread in from the garden. Of course they get dirty quickly but a quick hoover & mop brings them up like new. I went for a creamy beige, slightly mottled to help hide the mess I knew I'd bring in & it does (kind of) work. I used grey grout for the same reason.
Not sure what you mean about 'gloss' tiles, as mine are quite shiney (when they're clean :rolleyes: ) or do you mean something more like wall tiles?
# 4
matty_hunt
Old 04-06-2007, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by never enough View Post
Not sure what you mean about 'gloss' tiles, as mine are quite shiney or do you mean something more like wall tiles?
Ive seen some creamy beige tiles that have a highly polished, mirror like finish. I dont know if there is a proper term for them. I use glossy as they are reflective like the gloss kitchen units.
# 5
never enough
Old 04-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_hunt View Post
Ive seen some creamy beige tiles that have a highly polished, mirror like finish. I dont know if there is a proper term for them. I use glossy as they are reflective like the gloss kitchen units.
Can you post a link to them? I'm intrigued now .
# 6
rizla01
Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to rizla01

I was going to have all sorts of different finishes/colours in the Kitchen till I went into B&Q and saw some ceramic floor tiles for £4 Sq mtr.

(It's only a flat, mind you)

Money talks.

Seriously, I bet High Gloss floor tles will look stunning, Esp in White. What about grip, though?
"Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

# 7
PROFESSIONAL LANDLORD
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Shiny gloss floor tiles- yes or no?

Don't scratch !

Non slip !

Don't dull !

Have fitted them in properties 5 years ago still good as new !

LUV EM !! but not in white
# 8
misgrace
Old 05-06-2007, 7:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have not long finished a job where the client had very high shiny floor tiles, they looked brand new, I asked how long they were down, as I really though they had just had them put in, he said about 5 years ago, mind you they do wash them practically every day.

Mind you, and not too sure about the high gloss kitchen units, and then having high gloss tiles, would it be in your face?

As long as you dont put silk on the walls or gloss on the woodwork, you may get away with lol.

I do think a nice satiny mottled type would be better, but thats me, as I cant stand anything to glarey in my face.
# 9
sloughflint
Old 05-06-2007, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
I've just had a hardwood floor sanded down and re-lacquered. The man who did it said gloss looks great until it gets marked then it starts to look tatty very quickly. Even rubber soled carpet slippers will leave scuff marks.
I had a satin finish put on which looks really good.
I don't think this applies to ceramic tiles. We've got porcelain tiles, some very old and they are still shiny/easy to clean.
# 10
Ancalime
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wink floor tiles

Hi
I have shiny white floor tiles in the bathroom which look lovley when they are clean but they show up any speck of dirt! They do clean up well tho. I have black ones with a slightly more matt finish in the kitchen and these tend to show up less marks. I think a gloss finish should be fine and it seems to be just as hard wearing as the matt but watch what colour you pick if you don't want to be constantly scrubbing the floors! hope this helps
New house, garden and kitten. oh my!
Member 258# of Murphy the Cats no more pies club
# 11
funk_punk
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just bought some glossy tiles from wickes, they had 20% off not sure how long its on for.
# 12
ackdaw
Old 06-06-2007, 1:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

judging by the fact that the dogs backend overtakes the front when she gets up speed cornering , id say get non slip , how ever the post man gets a extra two second start , im wondering if i should move the garden gate further down to path , fairs fair after all , and he wears trainers so he has the better grip ?
The Following User Says Thank You to ackdaw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
MRSMCAWBER
Old 06-06-2007, 8:34 AM

Hi there
my mum has shiny black/grey tiles on the floor (not her thing, but my brother fitted her kitchen whilst she was on holiday...so you cant complain :-).... she is in the house on her own most of the day..in slippers , but still ends up mopping 2-3 times a day.....rubber soles leave complete prints..not scuffs or anything...just a perfect image to mop off!!!!
And my brother has been known to step into the kitchen in his socks and end up at the other end of the kitchen -without taking a step LOL

I think i would go for lighter shades....i know they show up muck but that doesnt appear as much as dust/fluffy bits from teatowels, dusters etc....
# 14
pinkwitch
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't go for black,

I haven't got gloss ones but my black floor tiles are a nightmare.They constantly need cleaning, they show up all the dust.I mop everyday but i think they need mopping 3-4 times to keep them really clean.
# 15
mandyp
Old 22-05-2008, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would love to get the really glossy floor tiles but I`m worried about them being very slippy. Can you get non-slip ones and if so where from?
# 16
elizw
Old 11-12-2008, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I also want shiny black tiles but not so sure now judging by some of the comments I have seen. I was wondering what make and style the ones are by Misgrace and professional landlord if they know
# 17
vansboy
Old 12-12-2008, 6:55 PM

No pics any longer, sorry to say, but we had gloss black kitchen units, at our old house, with glossy tiles, too.

We chose the budget priced ones, in Wickes, but don't appear to be on their site, now.They were black, with light 'wispy' grey light pattern, or white & same pattern.

Hard to describe how we laid them out, but most the floor was white, with a few lines, of 4/5 balck. Sounds weird, but looked good. Certainly better than chessboard style!

& as I'm the house cleaner, they actually didn't look as dirty as they ought to have done.

What you ought to do though, is fit underfloor heating. That's something we should have done, 'cos it was a cold floor, all the time - even with a log burner in the kitchen!!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67229/...ystem-9-to-15m

VB
I HATE wasting money but I LOVE saving it !!
The Following User Says Thank You to vansboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
lesley1960
Old 12-12-2008, 7:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have shiny black floor tiles ,they look lovely .................for about 5mins ,after you have spent all day cleaning and buffing them up........we had the plinths tiled with long black glass tiles ,now that looks nice against the floor
# 19
kazd
Old 12-12-2008, 8:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Pocelanosa cream shiny ceramic tiles in kitchen, breakfast room and utility. Still shiny after 7.5 years
2.00 Savers Club = 34.00 So Far

+ however may 2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
# 20
urbanfoxy
Old 23-12-2009, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default High Gloss Foors

Try the fabulous range of Elesgo high gloss floors !
Closed Thread