IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how to spot a fake? calvin klein's
Closed Thread
Views: 31,521
# 1
go4it
Old 02-06-2007, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default how to spot a fake? calvin klein's

Bought some calvin klein's off Ebay - 7 each. These are upmarket ones that normally retail for 20. They seem OK but the box looks weird (different shades, like a copy) and I can't help but think I have been had.

I know I should have thought about it more before buying them, but I was thinking well they could be surplus stock or something. Is there anyway I can tell if these are fakes or not, or do I call trading standards?
The Real Rebel Billionaire
# 2
Hintza
Old 02-06-2007, 8:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

7??

Anyway how much time and efort do you want to put in on this, you don't know if they are fake so they must be fairly reasonable quality, its upto you if you want to chase it up but personlly I think you got a bargain.
# 3
jasmineswhiskers
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Calvin Klein What??
# 4
tylerboyo
Old 02-06-2007, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

For £7 what do you expect. Be honest, would you expect a genuine louis vuitton article, for a third of its price? The only difference in fake clothing, is nothing noticeable, maybe a bit of off-stitching. The only thing that gives it away to me is either the price, or reading up on a "how to a spot" fake guide.
# 5
benedictadams
Old 03-06-2007, 8:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4it View Post
Bought some calvin klein's off Ebay - 7 each. These are upmarket ones that normally retail for 20. They seem OK but the box looks weird (different shades, like a copy) and I can't help but think I have been had.

I know I should have thought about it more before buying them, but I was thinking well they could be surplus stock or something. Is there anyway I can tell if these are fakes or not, or do I call trading standards?
To the people who say its only 7.

A fake is a fake and shouldn't be allowed on Ebay

I'd get Trading Standards involved and if it is a fake product then get a refund through ebay/ paypal
Debt was 6300 5 years ago, Debt now ZERO
# 6
Hintza
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedictadams View Post
To the people who say its only 7.

A fake is a fake and shouldn't be allowed on Ebay

I'd get Trading Standards involved and if it is a fake product then get a refund through ebay/ paypal
The OP doesn't know if it's a fake, they might suspect it is. But until then...
# 7
CHR15
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

No offence intended but....

In my opinion the people who think they are getting genuine articles for a tiny fraction of the rrp and then complain should get banned!!

Of course it's fake. But you may get a good lookalike which nobody else can tell apart form the real deal.
# 8
boam
Old 04-06-2007, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHR15 View Post
No offence intended but....

In my opinion the people who think they are getting genuine articles for a tiny fraction of the rrp and then complain should get banned!!

Of course it's fake. But you may get a good lookalike which nobody else can tell apart form the real deal.
Why o Why do people think, because something is 1/2 or even a 1/3 of the price of the original RRP are getting fakes, it really annoys me, dont you think people can Original items cheap and sell it for a fraction of the cost. Too many people on here have shallow minds and give sellers that are able to get stuff cheap bad reputation.

# 9
Ianna
Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You could think about contacting the seller and saying that you think they need to contact their supplier because you think the goods are fake. Don't accuse them, suggest that they're the victim as well. That way they've got a loophole and you can see what they say.

I only ever buy brand names off small time sellers who are obviously just selling on an impulse purchase or unwanted gift. The place is riddled with fakes, riddled with it. I never buy off a power seller and if the seller has a lot of similar items for sale I don't buy either - why would someone have oodles of brand name gear to flog?

Bad luck mate. We've all been diddled at some point
# 10
jasmineswhiskers
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The OP still hasn't said what it was he/she purchased. If it cam in a box it suggests it's underwear maybe? If this is the case then at 7 it probably isn't a fake. They sell around this price at TK Maxx / Matalan / in fact any store in the sales.
# 11
ellybelly89
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineswhiskers View Post
The OP still hasn't said what it was he/she purchased. If it cam in a box it suggests it's underwear maybe? If this is the case then at 7 it probably isn't a fake. They sell around this price at TK Maxx / Matalan / in fact any store in the sales.
exactly what i was just typing lol.

7 - 10 is the price in these shops.
# 12
jiggaman
Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

they are probably real at that price, i went to the us and they were selling cheaper than that in the outlet stores, grabbed a few, cant go wrong with calvin klein underwear!!

but beware of buying clothes off ebay.. there was that guy who sold fakes up to the value of 170k a year for a couple of years before trading standards got involved recently and busted him.

enjoy your bargain!
# 13
Citizen Jones
Old 11-06-2009, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm just returning 6 pairs of Calvin Kleins that are fake. I've been wearing the same style for around 10yrs and can tell the difference.

I even bought a legitamate pair from the high street to make sure I was correct. These are the differences I noticed compared to the originals purchased yesterday.

1. Size, completely different
2. Waist band (no thin white band along the top and different colour logo embroidery)
3. Stitching, unfinished/messy
4. Button falling off the first pair I opened
5. Detail at the bottom of the button area different
6. Colour, not a true black
7. Packaging completely different
8. Inside label different

Obviously the age old rule applies, if it's too good to be true it probably is! As for people being allowed to sell fakes on ebay, it's bang out of order. Especially when I specifically asked if these were genuine and were told that they were 100% authentic. This isn't some ropey back street market, it's ebay FFS!
# 14
frivolous_fay
Old 11-06-2009, 4:38 PM

I got a CK crop top in Tesco a few years back and I think it was around about the 5 mark.
My TV is broken!
Edit: refunded 515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
# 15
undies
Old 24-07-2010, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Most Calvin Klein underwear sold on eBay are fakes. We buy direct from Calvin Klein and receive the cheapest prices available and discounts on old stock first, so we know the price points at which other people can sell at.

A trawl on eBay by myself has made me pretty certain more than 90% of listings for Calvin Klein products are counterfeit. We receive almost daily emails from manufactures of counterfeit Calvin Klein items in China touting fakes off as genuine items for a seventh of the price of genuine items.

Some signs to spot fakes on eBay before you buy;
  • Are they selling alot of Calvin Klein products at over 50% off RRP when these are still mainline products at full price from other retailers.
  • They often sell only one or very few of the wide range of CK products available.
  • The colour schemes available are not available from a reputable store.
  • The packaging is also likely to vary slightly from the true original in design, stickers, barcodes and font.
  • Feedback is never a good judge as often fakes go unnoticed unless compared with genuine items and packaging, even to the trained eye fakes are difficult to spot.
  • The sizing is off, or the sizing measurements differ to that of the genuine product.

Calvin Klein does not participate in the eBay vero system and as such most listings remain unchallenged as the products are very hard to detect as fakes, including real products being used in photographs and then fakes being sent.

If anyone believes they have received fake Calvin Klein Underwear do not hesitate to contact us and we will help assist you in finding out if the product is genuine and if we can't will pass you on to someone who can.
The Following User Says Thank You to undies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
macfly
Old 24-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Boxers three pack for three quid at ASDA. Lovely.
The Following User Says Thank You to macfly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
lightisfading
Old 24-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

solution: don't fall for the branded clothing hype. you're being ripped off by calvin klein never mind ebay sellers.
Total start debt 6826 (June 2013)
Current (20/08/13) 5677 - 16.8% paid off!
Debt free date: May 2015!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightisfading For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
pulliptears
Old 24-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfly View Post
Boxers three pack for three quid at ASDA. Lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightisfading View Post
solution: don't fall for the branded clothing hype. you're being ripped off by calvin klein never mind ebay sellers.
Personal choice is a wonderful thing

My MIL bought OH some from our local market, as he wears genuine ones it was clear from opening they were fake. The material was much thinner and the join in the waistband at the back very wonky. I only tend to buy them in places like Matalan or TK Maxx now where I know they are 100% legit.
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons. Sometimes we just snuggle
# 19
macfly
Old 24-07-2010, 2:40 PM

undies - there were dozens of sets of CK white mens unmentionables at a Manchester auction earlier in the year. Went for 2 plus charges. So half price would still make a good profit. Price is not an indicator of fake or not.
As far as personal choice - designer clouts are not a personal choice. They are media and celebrity driven - you just fall for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to macfly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
undies
Old 25-07-2010, 2:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Calvin Klein are very picky about aspects of who and where their products are sold and how they are sold. Definitely not as picky as some brands but certainly where they are sold. They moan at me now and again for minor issues.

A low price is a good indicator for knowing if the product is genuine as it all originates from the same company. But of course if people are selling it at full RRP doesn't mean its genuine either.

There is wholesale pricing variations from each respective jurisdiction however this is marginal and usually encompasses the taxation of the state that the retailer resides.

You have to ask yourself if the price is low;

Why would Calvin Klein sell off all their excess stock (of current product lines) to anybody when they can easily sell it all off to their existing buyers at discounts, which they do who snap it up.

Calvin Klein take advance orders for all fashion lines from existing customers at trade events or at private buyers meetings. They make their products to the demand of the buyers. For example all Calvin Klein World Cup 2010 Underwear was made to order for the buyers and when that sold out, stock was unavailable. So how can it still be sold on eBay by loads of sellers who have all product variations for less than wholesale pricing in all sizes when specifically certain products were only available in certain sizes due to production issues.

Why would someone sell 6 pairs of Calvin Klein at the RRP of 1 pair. Then less their paypal fees, their eBay fees. Where would they make a profit especially after buying from someone else Calvin Klein has supplied to. Unless of course they are buying from the Chinese Manufactures that email me daily with their $1 counterfeits.
Closed Thread