Need a muzzle for my dog

Options
dawnie1972
dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 June 2013 at 12:26PM in Pets & pet care
My dog Milo is poorly at the moment (for the second time in 18 months) and I need to make sure that he doesnt eat anything whilst out on walks/off lead. I need to find a muzzle that will allow him to pant/breath but not allow him to eat - can anyone recommend one? I have a baskerville muzzle but its too narrow for his face and is not a suitable fit. The Baskerville Ultra muzzle is not suitable as it allows dogs to eat.
Thank you

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:

Comments

• MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What sort of dog is he? That may make a difference to any recommendations.
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    You can get other style basket muzzles on places like eBay. I think it's going to be hard to recommend any kind without really knowing your dog, as every dog varies so much.

Do make sure you use a basket style as opposed to a fabric/mesh one though - the latter are only designed for very short-term use, e.g. prevent a dog biting the vet during an examination, and aren't suitable for use when exercising a dog.
  • dawnie1972
    Options
    Thank you - he's staff x lab, about 30kg (when normal weight), his nose is 27cm circumference and 8cm long. Have been told that the Baskerville ultra will not allow him to eat anything unless given a small treat but not sure it will serve the purpose as he's not to eat anything whislt out on walk.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    The Baskerville Ultra won't stop scavenging altogether - he may still be able to pick little bits of food off the floor, a friend uses one for her dog and will often drop his treats on the floor for him to them pick up, he's learnt how to do it quite well through the muzzle. It might be easier to use a longline to control where Milo goes, i.e. you can patrol ahead to make sure there's no food, and only let Milo wander within that area - no off-lead rifling through bushes etc. to find scraps.
  • bagginslover
    Options
    Get the basket type, and tape it up. Not all over obviously, sides bottom and lower front should be enough.
    Please excuse my bad spelling and missing letters-I post here using either my iPhone or rathr rubbishy netbook, neither of whch have excellent keyboards! Sorry!
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a mesh one on occasions as one of my dogs isnt always friendly to other dogs.

What ever type you choose make sure you take your dog to try it on as there is a huge difference in sizing.

xxp00
  • tangojulie
    tangojulie Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever you choose, make sure you train the dog to accept it, don't just expect him to wear it.

There's a great video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo showing exactly how to do it and what to watch out for.
  • dawnie1972
    Options
    Thank you TangoJulie - my vets gave me a protocol on how to get him to accept the muzzle and he's fine wearing it so no problems there.
  • savingjenny
    Options
    I think a Baskerville will stop him scrounging pretty effectively. In theory he may be able to pick up and eat something small, but unless you try to feed him small things so he realises he can, he is more likely to try to eat something medium or large and fail a few times and give up on trying to eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure