IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Economy 10
Closed Thread
Views: 20,933
# 1
Jonny_BB
Old 28-05-2007, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Economy 10

Hi,

I'm currently with Powergen for my electricity (don't have gas at my property) and am looking to see if I can get a better deal by switching. The trouble I've run accross is that I am on economy 10, which seems to be a mythical electricity tarrif as it is mentioned neither on providers' websites nor price comparison sites. For those who aren't familiar with it, on economy 10 the heaters and boiler are on a special meter that switches itself on three times daily and uses a cheaper rate for 'stored heat'. This is great in pricinpal, but it does mean that if I want to take advantage of the cheaper rate (and why woudn't I?) I have to be on an economy 10 tarrif and use the heating and boiler for 10 hours per day (or remember/get up in the middle of the night to turn it on/off manually).

So, my question: is there anyone out there who is familiar enough with economy 10 to advise me which companies support it and whether there are any price comparison services that I can phone to obtain a quote?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
# 2
MrsBartolozzi
Old 28-05-2007, 3:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi sorry, I have never heard of economy 10, but it sounds very like Scottish Hydro's Total Heating with Total Control (THTC) which I have, but is not to be found on any website, leaflet etc.
I have been told that this (THTC) is only available to existing customers and that this is an old tarriff, and yours may be the same. I am scared to try other elec providers to see if they are cheaper because I will be unable to return to THTC if they are not, something you might also be up against.
Sorry not much help I know,
MrsB.

It's only a game
~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
# 3
Jonny_BB
Old 29-05-2007, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi MB,

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure your tarrif is not the same as mine as I am in a fairly new build property (2003/2004) and only moved in last August. Seen as you said it's an old, no longer supported tarrif you're on, it sounds likely we're not on the same plan. I presume they would not have put me on a tarrif just because the last tenant was on it. Electricity companies aren't that cooperative, right?

For further information I am in Hertfordshire and with Powergen. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting that info!

Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny_BB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MrsBartolozzi
Old 29-05-2007, 11:43 AM

Hi, the elec company were very accomodating actually, and kept us on the same tarriff as the previous owners, with no "changeover" period, which was just as well as we moved in a very cold November!
I found this link when I googled econ 10: its on this forum would you believe it!
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=182958

maybe you will get more help here? I didn't read it all, but maybe you could PM some of the posters for more help?

Another link I found - has a phone no you can call to ask:
http://www.heatandcool.co.uk/13.html

HTH
MrsB.
# 5
7Stone4
Old 29-05-2007, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This is interesting to me actually. Me and my OH lived for 12 months in a new build flat before moving to current flat. We were told we were on economy 9! but no provider had ever heard of it. So they said it must be economy 7 and we were charged accordingly. The water used to come on randomly during the day and we had our storage heaters on at night. One bill for 3 months was nearly £200 for a tiny tiny one bed flat. Makes me wonder if we were charged wrong all that time!
# 6
Jonny_BB
Old 29-05-2007, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for that MB. I did a search for economy 10 on Google last August, but didn't get any joy.

And to 7Stone4 - my electricity bills are £150 - £200 for a one bedroom flat too! Fully double glazed and everything!
# 7
7Stone4
Old 29-05-2007, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_BB View Post
Thanks for that MB. I did a search for economy 10 on Google last August, but didn't get any joy.

And to 7Stone4 - my electricity bills are 150 - 200 for a one bedroom flat too! Fully double glazed and everything!
I really think that these 'Economy' Tarriffs are such a rip off. Now we have gas and electric and pay about 230 a quarter..but this is in a huge two bedroom flat which is over three times the size, doesnt have double glazing (most of the windows don't even shut properly), a massive hole in the roof (dont ask!) and no loft insulation. Cor I havent made my flat sound very nice have I!!
# 8
tripled
Old 29-05-2007, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_BB View Post
So, my question: is there anyone out there who is familiar enough with economy 10 to advise me which companies support it and whether there are any price comparison services that I can phone to obtain a quote?
Unfortunately not all suppliers support economy 10, and those that do don't necesarily support in every region, so it really is a case of calling round and getting unit rates from them. I can tell you now BG don't support it, you should have Powergen's tariff on your bill, so that only leaves 4 other major suppliers to call
# 9
mrbaldwin
Old 13-12-2008, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default mrbbaldwin

Hi people

Have been on Economy 10 for several years now. But EON have deceided to put our direct debit up from 62.00 a month to 100.00 a month. Been looking to switch but no comparison site has e10 on their tarrifs. Does any one have any suggestions? Had heard that Scottish power are the only ones that offer this as well as Eon.
# 10
Jonny_BB
Old 14-12-2008, 12:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaldwin View Post
Hi people

Have been on Economy 10 for several years now. But EON have deceided to put our direct debit up from 62.00 a month to 100.00 a month. Been looking to switch but no comparison site has e10 on their tarrifs. Does any one have any suggestions? Had heard that Scottish power are the only ones that offer this as well as Eon.
From my experience most suppliers have an economy 10 package, but none advertise their rates. This means the only option is to phone them to ask their rates, plus you can't get a switching bonus from any comparison sites. In the end I switched from Powergen to NPower. The question you should be asking though is 'is there a supplier that doesn't over-estimate their monthly direct debit'? Alas this question is not one I currently have an answer to!
# 11
surfsister
Old 28-01-2009, 6:09 AM

E10 QuarterlyRegionalExcluding VATElectricityService chargePeak unitsOff-peak unitsSupplierppdppuppuEastern17.6710.855.73East Midlands20.8810.685.77London23.0410.565.82Manweb22.6411.335.80Midlands12.7911.375.73Northern20.4110.915.57Norweb17.3811.055.63Seeboard18.0410.606.09Southern19.8711.845.40South Wales20.5011.906.25South Western15.7512.025.85Yorkshire17.6110.786.10Scottish Power24.8110.736.03Scottish Hydro20.7911.476.77
http://www.heatandcool.co.uk/13.html
# 12
surfsister
Old 28-01-2009, 6:10 AM

Scottish & Southern Energy, Partnership Sales Team on 0800 117 116

also
Electric Wet Heating Economy 10 Scottish Hydro-Electric
Systems e.g. electric Scottish Power
boilers; air or ground EDF Energy
source heat pumps G ood Energy Limited
Atlantic Electric & Gas
SWALEC

offer econ 10 according to http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...calTariffs.pdf

Last edited by surfsister; 28-01-2009 at 6:31 AM.
# 13
L66TTY
Old 24-02-2009, 9:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

We have this tariff it seems to cost a fortune but not sure if this is because we have just switched from Storage Heaters to Electric wet rads??? With have it with Socttish Southern most of the people there don't seem to know what it is but are bill does have 2 tarriffs with 2 periods of cheaper elec in the day.
# 14
littleclanger
Old 09-07-2011, 7:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I am quite annoyed with eon too, I thought for three years I had economy 7 tried to switch and now they finally admit I have economy 10. It heats up at 3 times during - one during the night one in the afternoon and also in the evening. Eon put my tarriff up from 80 pounds a month to 132, with a cost increse of 9% how can they condone that I don't know.

Anyway Eon said the reason its expensive is because economy 10 has a daily standing charge, she suggested that I get an electrician in and get changed to economy 7. They said it will affect my water meaning it will only be able to heat up at night. The storage heatersheat up at night anyway so thats fine.

Npower said they would get an electrician in and change me over to economy 7 for free. So I went with that......but now I am worried that my immersion water heater controller seems to have no controls or time box to change the times it heats up. What if we have to replace it?
Oct: Philosophy night & day cream & and microdelivery peel rrp.130
# 15
Airmike23
Old 09-07-2011, 8:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's uncommon the power company will get the electrician in to sort out the hot water, that was not a promise of an Npower door to door salesperson I hope, if it was I think you'll find when you contact Npower to arrange the meter exchange they will advise you the cost of the electrician is on the householder so the hot water is wired into the night read of the meter, the power company just arranges the meter exchange - by the sounds of it with you having an E10 meter the company who will change the meter will be Central Networks, until recently an Eon company! If you do go to just an e7 meter Scottish Power or EDF are cheapest e7 suppliers in your region generally speaking, check your usgae tho, npower have potentially caused you more trouble than it might be worth by recommending you swap to them as they do not support e10 meters and because they have to gain the meter on that basis there is a chance they may cancel their request whern they realise you have a type of meter they dont support
# 16
Premier
Old 09-07-2011, 9:46 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleclanger View Post
I am quite annoyed with eon too, I thought for three years I had economy 7 tried to switch and now they finally admit I have economy 10. It heats up at 3 times during - one during the night one in the afternoon and also in the evening. Eon put my tarriff up from 80 pounds a month to 132, with a cost increse of 9% how can they condone that I don't know.

Anyway Eon said the reason its expensive is because economy 10 has a daily standing charge, she suggested that I get an electrician in and get changed to economy 7. They said it will affect my water meaning it will only be able to heat up at night. The storage heatersheat up at night anyway so thats fine.

Npower said they would get an electrician in and change me over to economy 7 for free. So I went with that......but now I am worried that my immersion water heater controller seems to have no controls or time box to change the times it heats up. What if we have to replace it?
Congratulations on digging up this
4 year old thread.

If you had looked at more recent ones regarding E10, I'm sure you would have seen a comment suggesting not to even attempt to switch supplier or tariff whilst on this as it inevitably ends in tears.

A case in point I'm afraid.

You were misled if you thought the supplier would re-wire your home and give you suitable appliances to work on a different tariff. You need to pay to get your own expert advice and any appropriate changes to appliances, sorry.
Often its simpler, and perhaps cheaper, just to move.
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
# 17
E.ON Company Representative: Malc
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company

Default Economy 10

Hi littleclanger

Economy 10 meters tend to be installed in all electric properties with storage heaters.

Your bills will have contained details of the tariff, usually on the first page. Also, we send out Welcome Packs when a new account is set up with similar details.

The meters themselves differ from Economy 7, in that, they have three readings - night, day and stored heat.

As you say, Economy 10 meters give 10 hours per day of cheaper cost electricity for water and central heating requirements over three separate periods.

As such, they're wired directly into the water/heating circuits at properties. Consequently, replacing the meter may have implications for the water and heating.

Therefore, I always advise customers to have their systems checked by an independent approved electrician before arranging a meter change.

Both Premier and Airmike are spot on; the cost of this is the responsibility of the customer.

Sorry I can't be more positive littleclanger but hope this is useful. Give me a shout if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 18
andyrpsmith
Old 11-07-2011, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This may or may not help. I moved in aug 2008 to old house with storage heaters (no gas) with Southern Electric (Scottish Power now) Economy 10. My bill for the year to Aug 2009 was just over 3000. My unit price was 7.8p for storage heating and 14p for all else. I changed to a single rate tariff (OVO) of 8.6p and used more controllable oil filled heaters. My bill for 2009/2010 was 2000.
Closed Thread