PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Butchers, bakers etc

Options
suze1984
suze1984 Posts: 158 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 28 May 2013 at 12:14PM in Old style MoneySaving
Me and my partner are going to try the older way of shopping visiting the butchers, bakers and green grocers etc to see if this will save us money rather than doing the mass shop in asda. Do any of you shop this way and find that it is cheaper or have any tips? Thanks x

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
:p

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found it was actually more expensive.

It stops the impulse buys you don't need and the treats type stuff but you miss out on the reduced stuff and per Kg it does appear more expensive.

The quality of some of the produce is better.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It depends where you go. Our butchers is cheaper than ASDA on everything except for their smartprice range, and I don't even want to know what goes that. The quality is much, much better than anything I've had from ASDA.

Some of the other butchers in town are much more expensive, which is strange as they all buy the same meat from the same local suppliers. :mad: You need to shop around.
    :happylove
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be interesting in hearing how it goes. :D We have on occasion used a green grocers (it would mean a special journey if we went from home) but this time we happened to be in a area near to us which has a green grocer. On this occasion the fruit was more expensive than a supermarket (Tesco/Sainsburys/Co-op) etc and didn't last very long either.

I suspect our butchers would be the same price as supermarkets finest ranges and the same quality, although I don't know as I never use a butchers (there is one in our area)

My Mother-in-Law will often recount her first trip to the supermarket with £5 :rotfl: she bought cushions with the change as it was so much cheaper than the "robbing ^&^"£% on the corner" :rotfl: Her words not mine.

I remember going to the out of town Asda as a mega trip as two buses were needed yet it was still worth it after bus fairs. :rotfl: Its still out of town now but now I have a car.
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    And what about the candlestick maker? ;)
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I shop this way & spend as little as possible in the supermarket & it works out a lot cheaper.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The butcher and greengrocer may work out better value, but I wouldn't bother with the baker, they are outrageously expensive, if you want to save money on fresh crusty bread and rolls bake your own.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our market butcher is definitely cheaper than the supermarket, and the quality is better; the town butcher is a bit more expensive but the quality is fantastic. Both of them sell cuts that the supermarkets don't stock & can advise you on how best to prepare & cook them. The greengrocer sells stuff from local allotments, gardens & farms as well as more exotic stuff; it's not cheaper overall but again wins hands down for quality & seasonality.
    We have two small & expensive supermarkets in town; I have to drive into the city for any of the biggies so fuel & time costs are also a factor to consider. I can walk to the local shops & be back inside 20 minutes whereas a trip to As4a, say, will take at least two hours. For us, a monthly trip into the city for non-perishables, a weekly stock-up at the market and top-ups from the town butcher, greengrocer & bakers (we also bake our own too, but there are lots of us!) keep me on budget best whilst also helping me feel that I'm feeding my family the best quality food we can afford.
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hate to admit to doing all my shopping in my local morry's, but when I can I will go to a local bakery for the lovely bag of crusty rolls and to the butcher to stock up on proper sausages (for about £5 I get enough for 3 meals) and we get huge pork chops at about £1.ish each, much better than the supermarket.
    Hubby went to the butcher last week and got 6 mighty chops at about £1.50 each that were so big we had to roast them and they were gorgeous, yes expensive but far cheaper than some supermarket pies.
    Veg wise, sadly our local market has closed but we used to get amazing value for money.
    xx
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »
    And what about the candlestick maker? ;)

I initially thought it was a post about dog/cat food.. but the candlestick maker was a close second lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Market is much cheaper....recently bought 3 mango's for £1 at market and at Aldi they were 69p each.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure